GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

41 - 53 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Blackpopeink said:
Nope lmao just what the wires are
Well, not sure on your budget, but there is a wireless model from Peak. I got one for Christmas (it was on sale about $80), but haven't installed it on my truck yet. The instructions are pretty easy. Supply 12 V to the monitor, and tap the backup lights for power for the camera. For me though, I'm holding out until I can climb under the truck and just give the camera key-on power, and have access to the camera while driving. All you do is give it power and it works, no need to run wires into the cab.

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
Buggsy said:
and tap the backup lights for power for the camera.

literally just read a post on the Outlook forum (twin to Travese/Acadia/Enclave).

and owner installed a new stereo with rear cam.

Well he tapped into the reverse lights.
after the install, the vehicle would not lock with FOB.

then he noticed it would not lock for about 30 seconds....
then he noticed it was while the reverse lights were on (reverse lights come on when unlocking car)..

so there was some issue with tapping into the reverse lights... causing that glitch to not allow locking of the vehicle.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
rbarrios said:
literally just read a post on the Outlook forum (twin to Travese/Acadia/Enclave).

and owner installed a new stereo with rear cam.

Well he tapped into the reverse lights.
after the install, the vehicle would not lock with FOB.

then he noticed it would not lock for about 30 seconds....
then he noticed it was while the reverse lights were on (reverse lights come on when unlocking car)..

so there was some issue with tapping into the reverse lights... causing that glitch to not allow locking of the vehicle.
Geez, that's odd. I didn't think much about that side of it as my old pickup is, well, old. I also have a 7 pin connector for trailers that I can safely tap for power if I don't run key-on power.

So I should think this is safer with it's independent display. Nothing physically bridging the camera or display to the car other than two 12V supply lines.

This is what I got. $80 when it was on sale, maybe cheaper on-line. I haven't installed it yet either, so I cannot comment on anything about it other than having looked over the paperwork and the equipment.
http://www.fleetfarm.com/detail/Peak-Wireless-4.3-In.-Back-Up-Camera-System/0000000093440

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
if your reverse lights only come on when in reverse-- I would think its fine..

but on the Outlooks- when you unlock the car--- the reverse lights come on-- to light up the area (as well as headlights)...

so these are controlled by the computer...

the reverse lights come on also on the Nox... if I recall correctly.
So the same issue could come up...

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
rbarrios said:
if your reverse lights only come on when in reverse-- I would think its fine..
It might work to tie into the reverse lights, you would have to try it to be sure.
The reverse light wires go directly to the BCM.

One more thing, the backup camera also gets power from the BCM in the factory installed setup.
The shifter switch, in the center console, sends the BCM an input signal to tell it the vehicle is in reverse.

·
Registered
9,976 Posts
my wifes 2010 lt2 and mt 2012 lt2 both had cameras.....

2010 was in the mirror and the 2012 uses the radio
I have had both, and the radio setup is much larger and easier to use, however, i am old school, and forget to use either most of the time.Actually, I do little backing up, I guess.

·
Registered
5,321 Posts
I have had both, and the radio setup is much larger and easier to use, however, i am old school, and forget to use either most of the time.Actually, I do little backing up, I guess.

We don't have much choice . . . at our age. :wink:
Going forward is all there is. Although, some days it would be nice to go back in time.
At least you are still running. My joints won't take that anymore. Walking is about it and the stationary bike plus low impact yoga stretch. Why is it cats can lay around and sleep all day and still remain nimble? Not fair.
Oh. . . you were talking about backing up in a vehicle. :smile_big:

Reactions: RIT333

·
Registered
22 Posts
looking at the wiring diagram for the mirror, the pin layout is different. However, if you get the harness from a vehicle that has a backup camera and match the wires for onstar and all that, as they're the same colour and use an aftermarket camera with a remote wire, it should work.

-attach all the onstar wires by matching the colour
-install the rear view camera wherever you'd like
-tap into the reverse light wire for your remote power
- use the +ve and -ve video feed wires from the aftermarket camera.
*in theory* this should work.

you also could try to get the oem backup camera and just run your own wires for that, but not too sure how it would know how to automatically turn on and off in a setup like this when you aren't using the factory harness.

Best of luck! Attached the wiring diagrams for the mirrors as well, hopefully they help!

Attachments

41 - 53 of 53 Posts