GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

21 - 40 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
I manage a fleet of concrete mixers in Alaska, I plan on buying several wireless versions with 7" screens so the drivers can see right behind the mixer which for obvious reasons has a HUGE blind spot, they can be turned on at any time.
I cruised options on Ebay and I would get at least the 16:9 ratio, 7" screen, color and with infrared emitters at the camera.
I may even upgrade my Nox rear camera to one that has the emitters, the prices are pretty cheap if you don't mind buying from China.

They do sell some that are also rear view mirrors, others have dual inputs for DVD or as a camera screen. Wireless seems like an easy solution for plug and play, I have yet to see the picture quality of that though.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Make sure you put some Rust Check or other high quality rust proofing liquid around the drilled hole or you will get rust forming in no time. Especially in humid climates. Touch it up with a bit more each year because water, dirt and slush will build up behind the plate throughout the year.

·
Registered
6 Posts
chad99 said:
I just installed a back up camera on my 2012 equinox....im a cheap ******* so I went cheap...rear view camera $17 shipped, 7" rear view mirror $45 shipped (all from ebay) total install time was almost 3 hours but that was taking my time and running to get tools.

I can share some details if you guys are interested.
I'd like some more info. Granted, I have an ancient, 2005 Equinox, but I'm curious as to how you removed the rear liftgate panel to get to the wiring and attach the camera?

I'm looking at a BOYO license-plate style mount, but I still have to run the wire through the liftgate (that's where it connects and you tap into the reverse lights for power and such), and then run another wire from there all the way to the front of the vehicle for the head unit (Pioneer AVH-4000NEX in my case).

I'm wondering how "easy" it will be (ha!) to run the wire through the little "hose" thingy in the liftgate so it enters the actual interior of the vehicle. Once I can get into the wheel area (easy enough in terms of popping open the little storage bins"), running the rest of the cable is easy (I've already run the SiriusXM antenna/receiver).

I'm SURE there's differences between the models, but if anyone has a video (I've googled and can't find squat) or "how to", that would be great. I'd even post pictures of what I'm trying to do.

·
Registered
9,976 Posts
hurnik said:
I'd like some more info. Granted, I have an ancient, 2005 Equinox, but I'm curious as to how you removed the rear liftgate panel to get to the wiring and attach the camera?

I'm looking at a BOYO license-plate style mount, but I still have to run the wire through the liftgate (that's where it connects and you tap into the reverse lights for power and such), and then run another wire from there all the way to the front of the vehicle for the head unit (Pioneer AVH-4000NEX in my case).

I'm wondering how "easy" it will be (ha!) to run the wire through the little "hose" thingy in the liftgate so it enters the actual interior of the vehicle. Once I can get into the wheel area (easy enough in terms of popping open the little storage bins"), running the rest of the cable is easy (I've already run the SiriusXM antenna/receiver).

I'm SURE there's differences between the models, but if anyone has a video (I've googled and can't find squat) or "how to", that would be great. I'd even post pictures of what I'm trying to do.
Aren't many of the cameras wireless to get the image to the front - or is that only high-end ones. I thought I saw some cheap ones at Advance Auto that were wireless.

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
I would go to the dealer to check the build sheet. That would be first. Then see if the factory wiring is even there. If so then me being me.. I would get the OEM parts and do it. should just be a plug and play deal at that piont. I know my 11' Terrain didnt come with heated seats.. but the wiring is there to add them.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Rit said:
Aren't many of the cameras wireless to get the image to the front - or is that only high-end ones. I thought I saw some cheap ones at Advance Auto that were wireless.
1) I wanted to integrate it into the Pioneer AVH-4000NEX head unit rather than have yet another display to look at that's stuck up on the dashboard.
2) Most of the wireless units I saw still had an "antenna" that you had to drill into the car and place (or I suppose you could leave it dangling on the road, but that probably wouldn't work so well).

But perhaps there is a wireless adapter that will still tie into the Pioneer rear-camera inputs.

Rit, thanks for the idea. BOYO makes some wireless adapters, so I've inquired if they will work with the license-plate model as well. If so, I'd still have to remove the rear lift panel from inside to get to things, but at least I wouldn't have to run the cabling up through it.

I'll let you know if/when BOYO responds.

--kevin

·
Registered
6 Posts
Visiontech (boyo) responded and they do make a wireless unit that can be used. Now all I have to do is figure out where the reverse 12v dc wire is on the 2005 Equinox. Even Google isn't my friend.

:(

·
Registered
6 Posts
fourmoremarine said:
BACKUP LIGHTS???
From what I've read, you can tap into some "light green" wire that's a 12v dc for the rearview mirror (but I've seen all sorts of diff. areas this wire may be located at from the kick panel, the bcm module, the rearview wiring harness). Supposedly when you put the vehicle in reverse, the rearview mirror auto-dim is disabled, so you use that to power the rearview camera so that it's only on when the vehicle is in reverse.
or
run a wire from the front of the car all the way to the back for the backup lights. The transmitter is connected to backup light power, but the actual camera itself needs to be at the front of the vehicle where it connects to the aftermarket radio (again, unless you want to run a wire all the way).

Unless you want the camera on all the time.

·
Registered
43 Posts

·
Registered
2,271 Posts

·
Registered
9,976 Posts
fourmoremarine said:
For 700 bucks plus install I think I'd get out and run around the vehicle each time I backed up
For $650, I'll follow him around and be his 2nd set of eyes. If I were him, I'm learn to use mirrors. They are a pretty nifty "invention".

·
Registered
43 Posts
Well its one harness im thinking it would be easy to install, like the foglights were. But yea ill agree for that kind of money I could buy a Canon DSLR.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi People, I would like to know if I can tap into the dash display and add an aftermarket camera on a 2014 Equinox? If so do I need a a/v switch of some sort?? Thanks, any info will help.....

·
Registered
9,976 Posts
Blackpopeink said:
I have a 2005 equinox and want to know if I can install a tft led monitor and rear camera and if so how would I go about doing that
I have seen them for about $50 at Advance Auto. I know nothing about their quality.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have one I just have no clue where to start to hook it up the monitor has 2 video cables a red wire which is the 12v a blue wire and a black ground wire the camera has a video cable a red wire and a black wire not sure where these wire's go

·
Registered
9,976 Posts
Didn't it come with installation instructions ?

If not, google for them, or go back to store that sold it.

21 - 40 of 53 Posts