GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the 2011 Nox LT2, and I'm thinking of installing a tablet in it. I'm looking into a 7" so it won't be my iPad. I'm gonna use the Blackberry Playbook, and will try and use the cobby hole below the HVAC controlls. It could also fit just nice on top of dashboard, where that little pop-up compartament is, but it will be hard to reach, and can't get it charge without a wire mess.
Has anyone done this yet? I've seen a couple of aftermarket GPS installs, but nothing on tablets

UPDATE:

Here is how I got it done :)

http://www.equinoxforum.net/index.php?topic=5694.msg73495#msg73495

·
Registered
361 Posts
i just use my android phone and i have it mounted right in front of the CD tray. Works flawlessly.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
I have the Playbook too...I just fit it away in the center console..out of sight..

I know they have mounting kits for the playbook, I dont think I would mount it anywhere..

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
CFRTim said:
I have the 2011 Nox LT2, and I'm thinking of installing a tablet in it. I'm looking into a 7" so it won't be my iPad. I'm gonna use the Blackberry Playbook, and will try and use the cobby hole below the HVAC controlls. It could also fit just nice on top of dashboard, where that little pop-up compartament is, but it will be hard to reach, and can't get it charge without a wire mess.
Has anyone done this yet? I've seen a couple of aftermarket GPS installs, but nothing on tablets
Here's a great idea... Keep your eyes on the road and drive so you don't kill someone else and use the tablet on the side of the road standing still...this way it can be stored in the center compartment till you need it

·
Registered
472 Posts
fourmoremarine said:
Here's a great idea... Keep your eyes on the road and drive so you don't kill someone else and use the tablet on the side of the road standing still...this way it can be stored in the center compartment till you need it
:thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

·
Registered
52 Posts
fourmoremarine said:
Did you ever think he or she wanted to use the tablet as a GPS?

There are lots of 3rd party car mounting solutions for tablets and laptops in cars. I use a simple mount for my iPhone that lets me view the phone (using a traffic app) at a comfortable level without moving my eyes down off the road.

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
stratoform said:
Did you ever think he or she wanted to use the tablet as a GPS?

There are lots of 3rd party car mounting solutions for tablets and laptops in cars. I use a simple mount for my iPhone that lets me view the phone (using a traffic app) at a comfortable level without moving my eyes down off the road.
So he's going to use Google Maps on his tablet(notphone) whenever he gets wi-fi? Besides even if it is a phone the GPS is from the cell towers not sattilites

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Agree...I have the playbook, and as far as I know, there is no off-line (wifi) GPS navigation app..

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I like how quick people are to judge, especially on internet forums, where everyone is a know-it-all , but most replies I got are nothing more but trolls.
Yes, I can use the Playbook just fine for navigation, there are off line apps for it and the tablet has built in GPS. However, I always have my iPhone's hotspot enable, so I actually use the Bing maps. Actually, I am looking at a way to also charge the device, and don't like a wire mess, so I was able to find a micro-USB docking station that I can plug into the cigarette lighter behind where I have a 2A USB adapter

The charging dock

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/USB-Cable-Charger-Charging-Dock-Sync-Data-Cradle-Blackberry-Playbook-EA508-/220914432797?pt=US_Tablet_Accessories&hash=item336f86bb1d

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
CFRTim said:
I like how quick people are to judge, especially on internet forums, where everyone is a know-it-all , but most replies I got are nothing more but trolls.
Yes, I can use the Playbook just fine for navigation, there are off line apps for it and the tablet has built in GPS. However, I always have my iPhone's hotspot enable, so I actually use the Bing maps. Actually, I am looking at a way to also charge the device, and don't like a wire mess, so I was able to find a micro-USB docking station that I can plug into the cigarette lighter behind where I have a 2A USB adapter

The charging dock

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/USB-Cable-Charger-Charging-Dock-Sync-Data-Cradle-Blackberry-Playbook-EA508-/220914432797?pt=US_Tablet_Accessories&hash=item336f86bb1d
Wow, You really impressed this troll .Got an awful lot going on there... bet your neighbors are impressed also...And I'm sure you will keep those eyes on the road and not watch any video clips...

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
This Troll is curious to the off-line app for playbook!...I havent been able to find any that will work without wifi.. I use my phone apps for navigation and maps..but the playbook would be great for that.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
wrusprod said:
This Troll is curious to the off-line app for playbook!...I havent been able to find any that will work without wifi.. I use my phone apps for navigation and maps..but the playbook would be great for that.
http://appworld.blackberry.com/webstore/content/48856?lang=en

However, I use the Bing Map app which works in conjunction with the built-in GPS (yes the playbook has that) and wi-fi via smartphone hotspot.
And since the Playbook had a firesale at $199, I thought it was a better investment than a GPS unit. With a 7" screen it's much easier to see and operate; plus I have it in a position where IMO it's safer to operate than even the factory NAV system.

·
Registered
194 Posts
CFRTim said:

However, I use the Bing Map app which works in conjunction with the built-in GPS (yes the playbook has that) and wi-fi via smartphone hotspot.
And since the Playbook had a firesale at $199, I thought it was a better investment than a GPS unit. With a 7" screen it's much easier to see and operate; plus I have it in a position where IMO it's safer to operate than even the factory NAV system.
You must have a third eye under your chin. Yes it look cool but there is no way in hell that is safer then factory nav or a dash mounted unit, and if you can use it while in motion it's lethally dangerous put that thing ack in your brief case te life you save may be your own.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
CFRTim said:

Thanks!..

·
Registered
361 Posts
That is cool. That is the similar setup i have with my HTC sensation.

For those trolls why not mind your own business instead of assuming this guy is playing you tube vids while driving or looking at pron or who knows what. i am sure you have driven distracted one time or another by:
your screaming kids
your annoying wife
the hot cup of coffee you spilled down your shirt
the french fries you ate out of the bag while they were hot as he!!
or maybe the hot young thing that was walking on the sidewalk while you were gawking
your wife's lame ass barking rat dog that is in your lap because she thinks it cute when it sticks its head out the driver's side window

You trolls and your distracted driving bs sound like the libtards that are ruining the great State that I live in. He is an ADULT. He can monitor his own surroundings.

·
Registered
194 Posts
No one is questioning his freedom or what he is doing with it. Anyone who would watch videos on their tablet while driving should lose their license. I'm just saying there is a reason why most screens for the driver are north of your knee's. And there USA reason why most built in gps functions don't work whie the car is moving.

What about glare off the screen? Wat about crappy gps radio reception? It's not safe. Think of other people on the road.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Dawgdaes said:
No one is questioning his freedom or what he is doing with it. Anyone who would watch videos on their tablet while driving should lose their license. I'm just saying there is a reason why most screens for the driver are north of your knee's. And there USA reason why most built in gps functions don't work whie the car is moving.

What about glare off the screen? Wat about crappy gps radio reception? It's not safe. Think of other people on the road.
DRIVING IS NOT SAFE. Smoking really unsafe. Sex without a condom unsafe. Seriously you are wound too tight to be worrying about this. this is why kids can no longer ride in the back of pick up trucks. I LIVED as did you. I was driven around without a seat belt and I SURVIVED as did you. We need less regulation/opinions and more worry about your own back yard IMHO.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
If you cant take someones opinion, dont post..

stop with the troll BS... you post, people are going to respond...positive and/or negative...its a forum! :banghead: :facepalm:

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
AMG Eric said:
DRIVING IS NOT SAFE. Smoking really unsafe. Sex without a condom unsafe. Seriously you are wound too tight to be worrying about this. this is why kids can no longer ride in the back of pick up trucks. I LIVED as did you. I was driven around without a seat belt and I SURVIVED as did you. We need less regulation/opinions and more worry about your own back yard IMHO.
So, you really think riding in the back of a pickup is ok for kids??No seatbelts? Yes you survived but what about all the others that did not? Looks like regulation has saved some lives over the years JMO

·
Registered
361 Posts
fourmoremarine said:
So, you really think riding in the back of a pickup is ok for kids??No seatbelts? Yes you survived but what about all the others that did not? Looks like regulation has saved some lives over the years JMO
but at what expense?

1 - 20 of 52 Posts