GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I have a 2010 NOX LT1 and have it to dealer with a loose inside rear view mirror. The dealer was great in that they replaced the mirror. No help, the new one does the same thing. This happens when going over the road even if its smooth. Has any here had this issue and if so how was it fixed. This is the only issue I have. Any help will be apreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
SnowItch said:
Just checked mine this morning. My rear view mirror has a tiny bit of play if you grasp it and try to move it around. I have never noticed it "vibrating", even when I turn the stereo up really loud.[/color]
That is definitely a good way to watch for a loose mirror, turn up the tunes, esp. a song with a lot of bass.
We haven't noticed anything on our Terrain.
Strange that it would happen with two mirrors in a row?
Maybe there's another underlying problem that will manifest itself over time, such as a bad batch of adhesive or something like that, I dunno.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have a feeling that the issue is the fact that the mirror cannot be tighten like the old mirrors with an alan screw. The base seems ok, but a little bump it vibrates to a point you can't see out of it. Could be a design flaw in that the arm from the base to the mirror is where it shakes. I agree that the 2nd mirror should have corrected the issue, but if they are all built the same way, I might have it replaced 20 times before I have a good one. We will have to see as time goes by to see if enough folk have the issue for GM to do somethimg.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Maybe the base is faulty/not shaped correctly, and they only replaced the mirror? maybe they need to replace the base/mount to glass?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks, I thought of that also. I contacted the dealer and the entire mirror assembley was replaced. After looking at it, it does not look like it comes seperate. Nothing to take apart between the mirror and the base mount.

·
Registered
115 Posts
mtchevrolet said:
I have a feeling that the issue is the fact that the mirror cannot be tighten like the old mirrors with an alan screw.
Well this is odd. I checked out my mirror last night, and it has no play/vibration whatsoever. But it also has a torx-screw to tighten it to the windshield-mount. Mine is an LTZ, perhaps the mounts or mirrors are different between trim levels? Or maybe the tightening-screw is a later modification? Vibrating mirror would drive me nuts...your dealer should fix it.

·
Registered
698 Posts
I would also imagine whether the vehicle is outfitted with navigation and rear camera vs neither would also make a difference in the weight and mounting of the mirror.

·
Registered
10,228 Posts
While we're on the subject of mirrors, the dealer told me that my Equinox LTZ's rear view mirror could be turned off auto-dimming mode (i.e. always be bright) by pushing the left-most button on the mirror (on/off) but when we tried it it made no difference.

Any ideas on this ?

THX

Rit

·
Registered
698 Posts
SnowItch said:
I agree with your point, but on the Terrain all of the vehicles have the back up camera (at least they do according to the trim chart here: http://www.gm.ca/gm/english/vehicles/gmc/terrain/compare-options-and-specifications), and I'm not sure that I understand how the NAV would change the mirror (I'm not saying that it doesn't, I just don't understand how it would).
The OP was referring to an Equinox with a loose mirror so not sure what your point was. I realize all Terrains have the cam.

Those with navigation and camera wouldn't have an LCD screen embedded in the mirror, thus perhaps reducing weight/size or other characteristics, some of which might contribute to what he/she was experiencing.

·
Registered
277 Posts
SnowItch--I would find it highly unlikely they would install a mirror with an imbedded LCD for the back up view in a vehicle with NAV screen. That would be an awful lot of wasted GM (err..taxpayer) money. But stranger things have happened.

·
Registered
635 Posts
RIT333 said:
While we're on the subject of mirrors, the dealer told me that my Equinox LTZ's rear view mirror could be turned off auto-dimming mode (i.e. always be bright) by pushing the left-most button on the mirror (on/off) but when we tried it it made no difference.

Any ideas on this ?

THX

Rit

I have same auto dimming mirror on my 2009 Vue. When dimming in "AUTO", light from behind takes on a greenish hue. When mirror is turned off, light
from behind looks normal and brighter! A small indicator light near the button shows if dimming funtion is on .

·
Registered
10,228 Posts
I agree with SnowItch - I think the dealer had not done his homework when he told be I could turn off the dimming feature. I had seen that in the manual, but I was hoping the manual was wrong - again !

·
Registered
10 Posts
I might be wrong, but I think you need to push and hold to turn off the dimming.

·
Registered
10,228 Posts
SnowItch - Did you mean to say that I CANNOT turn off the auto-dimming because I have a RVC. I think you said can.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I had a very close look at the mirror last night and have notice that there is no "alan screws " from the mirror to the base plate. Its plastic. I have a feeling in the heat of Arizona it may get worse. Time will tell. That is the only complaint I have about the NOX.

·
Registered
115 Posts
well, that's weird that the LTZ mirror has an adjustment screw, and yours doesn't. maybe the heat will actually soften things up and it will fit better? But that's just wishful thinking, and I'd take it the dealer and ask them to get it right.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Is the adjustment screw on yours o the arm between the base and the mirror? That is strange the the LTZ would have this. It maybe because its an LTZ and there could be more options built into that mirror. IE Mine has a mannul dimming . The only controls in the mirror is for on star

·
Registered
265 Posts
Is there I think it is a little purple dot on ur rearview mirror..Guess it stands for Onstar??hehe..Man now I am getting pickey..maybe nosey.....

·
Registered
44 Posts
Did anyone ever figure out how to turn off auto dimming in vehicles with the backup camera in the rear view mirror? I'm finding that it is difficult to see cars in the mirror at night and would really like to turn auto dimming off.

Mild rant: I also wish that when SnowItch (a member before my time) left this board that he (she?) did not delete all his (her) messages! The flow of practically every old thread I try to read is ruined due to all the missing messages. I'm not even sure why deletion was allowed in the first place!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts