GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just took possession of my Terrain last night and have already had major issues with the Infotainment System. I tried to record a Music CD (Record entire disc)to the HDD and after a few minutes the system beeped and the record failed. I tried again with the same results. I then attempted to record just a single track to see if I would have better luck... I did, the track recorded. However, the HDD system left entries in for the 2 failed album recording attempts. Then things went completely haywire: The Infotainment System started randomly rebooting, over and over. If I'd put the radio function on it would play for 30 seconds to a minute, then the system would reboot. If I had NAV or HDD selected, the system would only last about 10-15 seconds before rebooting. I attempted to manually turn the system off and then on, with no effect. I turned the vehicle off, then back on to see if the issue was resolved... it was still happening. At this point I decided to drive to the dealer to have them look at it (since I've only had the vehicle for 12 hours!). All the way to the dealership the system (with radio on) would reboot every minute or so. I got sick of this really quickly and decided to just turn the system off... after a minute or so, the system rebooted (even with the infotainment off) and upon completion of loading the GMC boot up screen, the radio would come on (even though I had the system off!). So whether the power was on or off, it didn't seem to matter: the system was in an endless reboot cycle. I finally got to the dealership, turned the vehicle off and grabbed someone to look at it. I jokingly said "yeah, now watch since you're here it won't do it anymore..." and it didn't. The guy probably thought I was nuts! I wish I would have thought to take a video of it on my cell-phone to show what was happening. I drove home from the dealership very confused, but the system has acted fine since (except for the failed album recording attempts still listed in my HDD directory).

Questions:
- Has anyone had similar issues or know what may be causing this?
-Does anyone know how to remove those failed recording attempt listings, or if I can completely 'format' or 'remove all' from the HDD? I'm able to delete individual tracks/recordins, but can't even select the failed attempts to do this so I'm hoping to just start from scratch.
-Is it possible to edit recordings: Change artist name, genre, track name, etc? The successful records are simply listed as '2-27-2010 Disc 1...Track 3...' etc (generic naming scheme).

Any help or comments with similar experience would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Thanks for your reply. The problem actually started up again, and this time hasn't gone away. I took a small video (30 seconds) of the constant reboot.
Terrain Infotainment Crash
I'm bringing it into the dealership this afternoon... will update when I find out more.

·
Premium Member
318 Posts
Didyou try a Ctrl+Alt+Delete? :p :p

Just joking. Was your car involved in the NAV recall?

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
The dealer will probably "factory flash" it for you, no worries.
It's pretty hard to "break" a Flash Ram card, but apparently fairly easy to corrupt one's Operating System, sorry but LOL!

Read up on the allowed media types that can be transferred (recorded) to the Hard Drive.
From previous discussions here, I think videos can only be played from DVD.

Also, the NAV system takes up 30 of the 40GB if I'm not mistaken, leaving 10GB for your own files.
An average Standard Definition movie is 1.5 to 2GB, so you're looking at storing maybe 4-5 movies tops on the Hard Drive (allowing some Disk space for the file allocation overhead).

Better off to burn them to DVD, that's what we do with our favourite music videos.
Try a search on here and possibly save yourself some aggravation.
We've gone over this many times.
I've tried transferring movie files to hard drive via USB with no luck as well.
;)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
*UPDATE*

Well I dropped my vehicle off at the dealership first thing yesterday. I got a call in the late afternoon stating that they needed to keep it overnight because GMC was "making them run a bunch of tests and diagnostics." So thank you SnowItch... I called GMC Customer Service as you suggested and told them of the issue. They coordinated with the dealership so I assume that's what he meant when he mentioned GMC was "making" them do certain things, and what you meant when you mentioned them "making" dealerships take care of customers. My fear was that they'd take a quick look at it, see (on the surface) that things were fine, and return it to me without doing anything. I'm more confident that they'll thorougly examine and take appropriate actions now. I'll hopefully find out more today and update as I do.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
**ADDITIONAL UPDATE**

Sorry but I never updated this thread after returning to the dealership. The dealer had my terrain for 3 days running tests and eventually replacing the touch screen display on the Infotainment System. They said that there was a "bulletin" regarding this issue for my vehicle but that nothing had been addressed during it being built (mid february). Two questions: 1. what's the difference between a bulletin and a recall? 2. if a bulletin existed, why wasn't it taken care of at the factory while being built? I had asked the dealership rep, but he didn't provide any answers. I did specifically ask what was replaced, and he only mentioned the screen, which seemed odd...and said the hdd would stay in place. In any case, whatever they did seemed to fix the problem. I haven't had any other issues since picking it up last week.

p.s. the sales manager i bought the vehicle from personally followed up and mentioned that i'm the 2nd case they've seen with this issue at their dealership, and that they don't sell many terrains with the nav/infotainment package, so didn't know how prevalent it really was. Really, no one else on here has had or heard of this problem outside of my occurrence?

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
hudsonhawk said:
**ADDITIONAL UPDATE**

Sorry but I never updated this thread after returning to the dealership. The dealer had my terrain for 3 days running tests and eventually replacing the touch screen display on the Infotainment System. They said that there was a "bulletin" regarding this issue for my vehicle but that nothing had been addressed during it being built (mid february). Two questions: 1. what's the difference between a bulletin and a recall? 2. if a bulletin existed, why wasn't it taken care of at the factory while being built? I had asked the dealership rep, but he didn't provide any answers. I did specifically ask what was replaced, and he only mentioned the screen, which seemed odd...and said the hdd would stay in place. In any case, whatever they did seemed to fix the problem. I haven't had any other issues since picking it up last week.

p.s. the sales manager i bought the vehicle from personally followed up and mentioned that i'm the 2nd case they've seen with this issue at their dealership, and that they don't sell many terrains with the nav/infotainment package, so didn't know how prevalent it really was. Really, no one else on here has had or heard of this problem outside of my occurrence?
We haven't had an issue similar to yours, then again, we never tried to record an entire CD to the HDD, either.
I'm thinking that's what caused your system crash, IMHO.
Someone at Alpine or GM should try to duplicate what you're trying to do.
Did you mention it to the dealer?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
gearhead said:
We haven't had an issue similar to yours, then again, we never tried to record an entire CD to the HDD, either.
I'm thinking that's what caused your system crash, IMHO.
Someone at Alpine or GM should try to duplicate what you're trying to do.
Did you mention it to the dealer?
Yes, I explained the entire situation leading up to the first and all subsequent occurrences to the dealership as well as GMC Customer service. They were able to see that there was a problem (and noted that they had an outstanding 'bulletin' regarding the issue in their computers). However, they didn't explain what the root cause was. The first time I noticed the issue is when I attempted to record an entire album, so perhaps it's the cause in my case...but realistically shouldn't be: it's a feature offered by the system!

·
Registered
265 Posts
OK never tried to record cd to HDD..Whatelse can be recorded?? songs or albums from a Mem USB stick right?? You cannot REC XM songs or for that matter any songs from AM or FM right..I am gonna try to record an album and see if everything goes ok..Thanks

·
Registered
446 Posts
nitti48 said:
OK never tried to record cd to HDD..Whatelse can be recorded?? songs or albums from a Mem USB stick right?? You cannot REC XM songs or for that matter any songs from AM or FM right..I am gonna try to record an album and see if everything goes ok..Thanks
The "CD Ripping" for audio is the only feature for this action built into the system. You can also rip a CD on your computer and store those songs on a flash stick. That's what most people do. Just remember to rip it with no DRM applied and 128Kbit or higher MP3 format. iTunes for example automatically rips in Apples format with DRM (meaning you can't play the songs anywhere but on your PC and your iPod) Even most Media Player versions in Windows will put DRM (Digital Rights Management) on ripped songs from a CD as default. So change the ripping settings before you start. That will save you a lot of headache.

·
Registered
265 Posts
i have no problem REC cd's to HD...but they do not play by Track Number..Also wondered if u could REC fm station songs..I know when listening to XM and hit REC it says you cannot record XM songs...Also if u transfer Albums from USB Mem Stick to HD it does not play the Album songs in Track Order??

·
Registered
297 Posts
nitti48 said:
i have no problem REC cd's to HD...but they do not play by Track Number..Also wondered if u could REC fm station songs..I know when listening to XM and hit REC it says you cannot record XM songs...Also if u transfer Albums from USB Mem Stick to HD it does not play the Album songs in Track Order??
In what order does the HD play the album songs, alphabetical?

·
Registered
265 Posts
Yes..I tried a program TagScanner but I do not think perhaps I am using it right..I don't know..It is a small gripe..You think when u Transfer an album from usb stick it would work like if u play the Album outright from the USB Stick it works??

This is a SLT-2 with Nav System and upgraded Pioneer Sound

·
Registered
297 Posts
Is it possible to "shuffle" play songs from the HD?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts