GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone

I was driving my Equinox to the airport to pick up my wife Thursday and my dealer called. He told me
that he had just been to a class on the OnStar mobile application. He said he had a slight leg
up on the other salespeople because I sent him a couple of links about the application in August.
No one else knew what it was or the capabilities. He told me that in the class he was told the app
will be available at the end of this month or early next month for android and iPhone. He mentioned
the blackberry but I can't recall if he said it would be immediately available. It is supposed to be
available for all but 1 2011 GM models. He wasn't sure why earlier models were not included and
we talked about that fact for a bit. Not sure why earlier models wouldn't have the same ability
to interface with the mobile app. They can generate car reports and have similar sensors to my
2011 nox. ??? ???

He thought the name of the OnStar app would be called MyLink. A Bing search shows several hits on MyLink.
http://thetechjournal.com/tech-news/onstar-mylink.xhtml
http://media.gm.com/content/media/us/en/news/news_detail.brand_gm.html/content/Pages/news/us/en/2010/Oct/1013_onstar

This article http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-13746_7-20016525-48.html links to a better description of the app functions here
http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-13746_7-20016525-48.html

Although the links above deal with the Chevy Volt or silly Facebook integration ::) The application will have the ability
to remotely turn the car on and off (theoretically from anywhere you have a cell signal, maybe even wifi), check tire pressure,
gas level, and lock and unlock the car.

OnStar Smartphone App Technology

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
The 2010 vehicles should be able to be capable as well considering they have the exact same onstar and PCM diagnostics system. It would be cool to have it though. This is certainly a good reason to have onstar if you like this type of tech stuff.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have a 2011 Equinox LTZ but I do hope that the app will be functional on earlier years. My dealer was
perplexed about the offering to 2011 models only since most later model cars and trucks have digital
reporting ability. Also, the 2011 has hardly any changes compared to the 2010. At least any changes
noticeable to the owner.

·
Registered
748 Posts
I posted about this awhile back. I read about it online but no one else seemed to have heard about it. Glad to get some info. Hope it works for 2010 models. Since they're essentially the same vehicle. ..

·
Registered
86 Posts
No one is really stating the obvious here....They are limiting the application to 2011 and newer vehicles as another incentive for people to buy a new car. It has nothing to do with the capabilities and systems of the older models...simply an added marketing tool to sell new cars.

·
Registered
748 Posts
coreyp said:
No one is really stating the obvious here....They are limiting the application to 2011 and newer vehicles as another incentive for people to buy a new car. It has nothing to do with the capabilities and systems of the older models...simply an added marketing tool to sell new cars.
I agree with ya. But it isn't right to do that to a car thats only been out for a year. Especially for the late buyers like myself. I bought my car in July and here it is September and 2011's are out. I could understand the early buyer's who bought in 2009 but to make the cutoff that close is ridiculous.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Phantm006 said:
I agree with ya. But it isn't right to do that to a car thats only been out for a year. Especially for the late buyers like myself. I bought my car in July and here it is September and 2011's are out. I could understand the early buyer's who bought in 2009 but to make the cutoff that close is ridiculous.
Agreed.... Stupid and unfair!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Phantm006 said:
I posted about this awhile back. I read about it online but no one else seemed to have heard about it. Glad to get some info. Hope it works for 2010 models. Since they're essentially the same vehicle. ..
Sorry for the thread dupe :-\ :p

Phantm006 said:
I agree totally. When I talked to my dealer he mentioned that it was around the 05-06 timeframe that there was a "switch to digital" for GM cars. Honestly I don't know what all that entailed but I find
it had to believe that the inner hardware is soooo different on models offered 2-3 years ago that the MyLink app couldn't be used on them.
It seems like a cool application but not so cool that people would purchase a new car for it. IMHO it would behoove OnStar to make this available for more model years.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
The switch to digital from analog onstar was HUGE. It HAD to be done to comply with FTC rules. I know a few people have thought of updating it but its basically worthless.

Still, I dont doubt that this will be only 2011 and up models. Itll eventually trickle down. Remember, lots of popular models came out in 2010.

·
Registered
468 Posts
I think the 2011 timeframe is given at all gm's equipped with onstar will be able to use it. Doesn't necessarily mean that some 2010's wont be able to use it. Did any gm cars have a major restyle in 2011 from there 2010 counterparts? That class he took was most likely just a basic understanding of the app not the Terrain/Nox functionality with the app

·
Registered
748 Posts
No problem for the thread "dupe". But it doesn't make any sense to me, Especially if GM think's it will be in such demand that people will buy a new car just for a mobile phone app. But I guess we all will have to wait and see what will become of it. But I hope they think it all through. Jailbroken Iphones and things of that nature. A pin might be good for a little while but if someone with some mobile merit gets to your phone, might spell a bad day if you're driving and your car shuts off. ;)

·
Registered
748 Posts
Yes. It would behoove them. Especially since they just got out of a bad situation, to turn around and try to do something like shafting those who were and are still loyal is a bad idea. I also don't think that there can be that much of a difference in one model year. Not without significantly increasing price or changing the entire electronic structure of the car itself. GM please learn from your mistakes and be fair to all your buyers.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I was a software developer for years, now I'm a group manager for a HW and SW company and I have a ton of examples where we added a feature but only support it in our newest devices, even though it could work in older ones. In fact, we'd go through the work of actively disable the feature on the older products (which you'd think is more expensive than doing nothing)... The reason? TESTING. If I support a feature in 3 device families I need to test it on all three device families, which means I have to write automated tests and schedule manual test time. In the end, for a feature that we spend 2 weeks developing, we spend 3 weeks testing per product family. It gets expensive very fast.

Now, these cars (as evidenced by the constant infotainment and a/c problems that go away after restarting the car) have a LOT of software. And I'll say that that software was not tested enough, which is why there are so many gremlins even on the 2011 model (not that I envy them, their test matrices must be huge)

If they're limiting it to the 2011 cars but that means they'll test on all of them twice as thoroughly then that's a good thing. I don't need my car starting automatically when my iPhone crashes, or every leap year :)

Yes, it would be even better if they spent twice as much and tested it for both, but then the 2009 owners that have the digital Onstar will complain. It's always a losing battle.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Downloaded the App. Worthless for 2010 models. And not just Terrain/Equinox owners, Corvette's and Camaro owners are out of luck. Way to go GM, screw over the people who just saved your @$$. Still haven't learned...

·
Registered
748 Posts
And besides, I highly doubt that there are major differences from the car I bought in July than one made in August. When the 2011 models came out. I really don't believe that there was that much of a major overhaul in development in a month for something that has probably been in development for well over a year. If you going to make a product at least make it for the new design model. 2009's are totally different vehicles. They didn't have a problem removing the remote window down feature from my 2010 model. But the same car made in 2009 for the 2010 year has it. So both car's are considered 2010 but since mine was actually made in 2010 I have to lose out? Ridiculous logic on GM's part. If you dont have enough for all new design models. Don't release it until you do. Especially after we just bailed GM out. They didn't waste any time in going back to their old ways.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Phantm006 said:
Downloaded the App. Worthless for 2010 models. And not just Terrain/Equinox owners, Corvette's and Camaro owners are out of luck. Way to go GM, screw over the people who just saved your @$$. Still haven't learned...
I wonder if the Chevrolet Customer Svc guys are reading this thread. This is feedback that should be addressed, and I agree w/ Phantm, if the vehicles are identical (and in the case of the Equinox there's every indication that they are) then they're just filtering by VIN number, which penalizes the early adopters, the people they should be rewarding.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Downloaded the app just now and I think it's pretty cool. Basically tells you all of the information you get in your report from OnStar along with a few other nice features like starting your car from anywhere, locking and unlocking it.

Definitely cool, but not something I would use daily or even weekly. I think they should add the directions feature to the app. Where you could plug in an address from your phone and then send it through OnStar to your vehicle. (Much like you can already do online using Google maps)

·
Registered
196 Posts
I found this on the Onstar website regarding 2010 models:

When will the OnStar MyLink mobile app be available for previous model year vehicles?
The OnStar MyLink mobile app will be made available on most 2010 model year GM vehicles in 2011.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Hey Quantum. Sorry for the long post. I'm not upset with you nor was that directed at you. Just kind of ticks me off that I just bought by 2010 on July 29th. The new model was out less than a month a way and I'm not included. I would've waited but my purchase was based on necessity and had to be done fairly quickly. I don't think your upset but I do apologize for my steam release...

1 - 20 of 32 Posts