GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all!

This is not a simple poll thread, but I think this was the best place for it. I wanted to start a thread on any suggestions for GM that you have for improvements on the Theta platform. For any of the models. I do know that GM does go around to these forums and they do read these, so don't hold back. Also post about what you love too. I'm sure they'd like to hear all good and bad about their hard work.

My wife and I own an Equinox LTZ, I4 FWD, Nav, Entertainment, Sunroof. And here's what I've seen so far.

- The center console is a bit hard to reach. It does look good, but functionality was cut short (no pun intended...)
- Not sure how they'd do this, but try to make the back seats fold flat AND keep the great comfort in them.
- I'd like to see some improvements in the MP3 playback, like playlist file reading, or better categorizing and choosing of artists, genre, etc etc...
- I'm sure the engine clicking some have reported is not a problem, but it is annoying.
- The "Hands Free" statement in Bluetooth is annoying. That wasn't needed in past models...
- A little more smoothness in the ride would be welcome. Not a lot, because the handling is very nice.
- I think GM needs to crank up production a bit, as popular as they are ;)

What I love!

- The exterior styling is perfect. Don't change a thing.
- The Pioneer system sounds great.
- Handling is superb (see above...)
- The interior is fantastic. A lot of people would like to see some improvements, but I know from past GM vehicles that this interior will also stand the test of time and abuse. The ambient lighting is very nice, improvements on that would even make it sweeter (Like the Ford's where you can change the color, hint hint)
- Of course the MPG. Way to go GM!
- Improvements in the Nav system over past models are very nice. There is a much better mix of all information on the screen at any one time.
- The I4 is a great engine!
- Thank you GM for not requiring the 18" or larger rims on the LTZ. Sure they look good, but I'm no teenager and prefer ride over looks.

Suggestions:

- I'd like to see a turbo version of the I4. Like in the HHR SSR verion. *drool* ;)
- Homelink buttons! What gives with missing these?
- The placement and angle of the USB and power plugs in the console might be better if facing down or up. Sticking straight out, I'm afraid of breaking a plug or something.

That's all I can think of now (only had ours a week...) So, what's your 2 cents worth? Let us and GM know!

Thanks!
narg

·
Premium Member
318 Posts
Narg said:
- Not sure how they'd do this, but try to make the back seats fold flat AND keep the great comfort in them.
Employ technology they used in a 2003 Envoy. Have the bottoms fold up, hinged in front,to a 90 degree angle. Then the seat back folds down.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Some other thoughts on future improvements...

- A place to store the entertainment headsets and remote. I envision a drawer under a seat or something that can hide these items.
- Why not put the 20.9 gallon fuel tank in the I4 model too? 20.9 X 32 = 668.8 miles! WOW! :)

·
Premium Member
318 Posts
Narg said:
Some other thoughts on future improvements...

- A place to store the entertainment headsets and remote. I envision a drawer under a seat or something that can hide these items.
- Why not put the 20.9 gallon fuel tank in the I4 model too? 20.9 X 32 = 668.8 miles! WOW! :)
Remote? I never received a remote, unless its stored in the bottom of the endless center console.

·
Premium Member
318 Posts
SnowItch said:
Mine was packaged in the box with the cordless headphones. My dealer handed me the box as a kit specifically so that nothing would get lost.
It's probably there. My sons is getting good with the TIVO remote so i figured I would let him play with this one. Have to check console. that thing is deep.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Actually, I believe the I4 does have the bigger tank, it is limited in how far you can fill it up. Forget where I read that, but it was on one of the early reviews from one of the car magazines (might have been edmunds). I never did figure out why they would do that, but I'm sure the engineers had some reason that made sense (at least to them).
Interesting. I watched that "How It's Made" show on Discovery the other day and they showed a factory making gas tanks. One thing mentioned that caught my attention was that the tanks are made to not fill 100% to allow for gas expansion so as to not overload the fuel pump, etc. I wonder how they baffle the I4 tank a little more? If so, I guess it would not be removable. :(

·
Registered
277 Posts
I think the gas capacity reduction was mentioned in some Terrain/Nox review several months ago when they pointed out the difference in 6 vs 4 tank capacity. I also remember the quip that eventually, some I4 owner would figure out how to get the V6 capacity. I suppose someone will figure it out.

·
Registered
277 Posts
It was a good review that I read while researching what I was going to buy since I had that new car itch---not a SnowItch---just a regular itch that I get when I start haunting new car lots. Then the reading starts....then the forums....next thing ya know, a new car's in the driveway. An expensive itch usually!!

·
Registered
277 Posts
A least if I need to go north, I'll be able to do it in a new Terrain!! Had enough cold down here in FLA this year anyway.

·
Registered
239 Posts
I'd like to see different rear hatch door types between the different siblings.
I like the one piece lift gate currently used for the Equinox but would like to see the ability to open the glass independantly(like Envoys had) for the SRX.
The Terrain could go another way altogether and use something like dual doors/left & right or a glass up/end-gate down sort of set up, think of what used to exist on Yukons & Safaris.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I finally got to see the Cadillac version of the Theta today. As I was driving I noticed to identical SUV's sitting at a stop light side by side. Both white and looked quite new. At first they looked like a Lexus 330 or similar but obviously new and very nice, but I was about 1/4 of a mile away at the time. As I got closer I finally noticed the Cady grill emblem, and was amazed at how nice these little SUV's looked in comparison to their other market.

I'm not a big Cadillac lover, because of odd styling inside (for me...). But I am very respectful of the detail they put into what they do on these versions. The 2010 SRX is a head turner, and very stylish. Makes me more proud of the sibling version I purchase in our Equinox.

I will have to get closer one of these days to see how they get $50,000 out of what we payed $30,000 for though...

·
Registered
635 Posts
If GM follows through on all improvements to Nox and Terrain there will be zero need to buy SRX....hmmmm

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Roesterman said:
If GM follows through on all improvements to Nox and Terrain there will be zero need to buy SRX....hmmmm
Yep, the options were not enough on an SRX for me to consider anything but the 'Nox we got. Well, that and the price difference. However, the SRX will have more leather inside if that's your thing, a better ride and a turbo V6 soon. Plus Bose radio option, which is considered a better unit. It is a higher end version, you just have to consider if it's what you want. Usually in the past GM has made a Caddy with a lot of features, then dumbed it down very slightly and sold it as a Buick. For Trucks they go a little more across the board of their brands. Or, actually the other way... making a good truck, then upping it for the Caddy version.

I got to sit in an SRX at a car show this weekend. Very nice, and noticeably upscale. The leather seemed nicer, and the layout is cleaner. I like the D.I.C. rounded in the speedometer, but don't like the Caddy lettering used on the gauges. (Never have liked the Caddy gauge treatment.) I do think that if they want to sell more of the SRXs (which maybe they don't...) then they need to put a little more features into it. I think a H.U.D. system like on some high end GM cars would be a nice feature for the upscale market.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
I do like the door and tailgate option posted earlier. I remember some Suburbans and Tahoes would have either a tailgate with glass hatch that could be opened or just two doors that opened from the middle.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Right on Steve A. The 3.6 should be an option even if they want to keep the 3.0L on the checklist. Give it a special name too...like the Terrain Typhoon for instance...since GM probably still has rights to the name. The 3.6 is one SERIOUS engine as I've posted before.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Islander said:
Right on Steve A. The 3.6 should be an option even if they want to keep the 3.0L on the checklist. Give it a special name too...like the Terrain Typhoon[/color] for instance...since GM probably still has rights to the name. The 3.6 is one SERIOUS engine as I've posted before.
I have the 3.6 in my "09 Vue "Vortex"[/color]..scary fast!

Attachments

·
Registered
35 Posts
Yeah, back in the day when GMC had some one-off performance models to show off. Maybe a S/C 3.0 or Turbo 2.0 like in the new Regal GS ... would a 3.6 fit in the Nox/Terrain engine bay?

1 - 20 of 41 Posts