GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would love to hear people's impressions of the 2nd generation nox after you had it for awhile (after 5k miles, 10k miles etc). Anyone feel better about their choice than they thought they would? Anyone have buyers remorse?

I know their are a lot of threads with different positives and negatives, but I haven't seen a thread where everything is centralized. My apologies if their is.

Thanks

·
Registered
56 Posts
I just got out of my 2011 Chevy Cruze, 2LT. Bad, Bad Transmission and I had a tussle with GM and the dealer, the dealer came through, and I traded into a Equinox LTZ-AWD. Thus far much, much better than the Cruze, in ride, performance (LTZ is a 4 cyl), equipment, etc. MPG on the Cruze was about 21 tops so anything I get close to 21 is fine with me. I know it is an AWD, so I understand the MPG issue.
I actually work for a Ford Dealer as the new car dealer trade driver and the auction transporter, so I drive Fords equally as much. If I could have gotten a deal from Ford to trade my Cruze, I would have gone that route. The new Focus is great, the Fusion 4 cyl gets me 30-32 MPG without fail. The Edge is just too rough a ride and my Equinox is much better all around. I am satisfied, thus far.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
I've had my Nox for 15 months and 18k miles now and still think I made the right choice at the time....and even considering what's available now. None of the small SUV/CUV's are pserfect in every single area, but the Equinox checked off more of the right boxes than any of the competition in the same price range. I'll put it to you this way, I think the Nox/Terrain compare more favorably to higher priced CUV's such as the Ford Edge and Nissan Murano..

·
Registered
378 Posts
NoobNox said:
I'll put it to you this way, I think the Nox/Terrain compare more favorably to higher priced CUV's such as the Ford Edge and Nissan Murano..
This is the same way I feel - when researching I had to compare Equinox to Nissan Murano instead of Nissan Rouge, Toyota Venza instead of Toyota Rav4, and Ford Edge instead of Ford Escape because the latter choices were so much poorer compared to Equinox. Considering the fact that similarly equipped Edge or Murano would have been at least $5K more, Equinox completely won out and it was within my budget when fully loaded (minus Nav - I do not like having outdated built in Nav that requires $200 per year upgrade in addition to the initial $2100 up-charge.)

However I am very disappointed with the 4 cylinder mileage I am getting - on paper I was supposed to get more than my old 2004 Impala but I get few mpgs less even with careful driving compared to pretty aggressive (hard acceleration, stopping) driving I did with the Impala in my younger days.

Also if I had children, I would have gotten the Toyota Highlander because it was deeply discounted and a well equipped (but a little less) one was around same as my LTZ because it has much more room for cargo 3rd row if needed, and AC/heat control for the back seat.

·
Registered
33 Posts
equinox2 said:
...Also if I had children, I would have gotten the Toyota Highlander because it was deeply discounted and a well equipped (but a little less) one was around same as my LTZ because it has much more room for cargo 3rd row if needed, and AC/heat control for the back seat.
I'm trading my base 2008 Highlander for a 2011 LTZ. If you use the 3rd row seat in the Highlander, there's practically no trunk space. Also, I find the Highlander noisy and I only got 17-20 miles a gallon in all-around driving.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Very happy with my 2011 Terrain, no real complaints. Looks great, drives great and I get a ton of compliments from people who see or ride in it. I'd buy it again in a second.

·
Registered
40 Posts
With almost 10k miles in 3 months on the 2011 Nox, I still like it as much as the day we drove it off the lot. Heck, If I could afford it, I'd buy a Terrain for me so I would quit driving my wifes Nox so much :)

·
Registered
115 Posts
I am digging my Terrain. Really enjoy it and I still get people asking me what it is. Good stuff.
My girlfriend has a 2007 Edge Limited (top of the line w/o awd and nav) that I actually talked her into a couple years ago. I am not a Ford guy, (have had 8 GM rides), but there was just something about it that I really liked. I like the Flex a lot also, but I consider both of these rides to be in a different class than the Thetas. I believe they are more like Trailblazer or Grand Cherokee, just slightly bigger than the Thetas with a little more luxury at about 5- 10k more on the sticker.
I drive mine an hers all the time. The Edge is a little roomier in the front, but I also feel mor disconnect from the drive. It just seems like everything is further away.
The dashboard/windshield is an absolute nightmare for glare in the Edge tho. It's so bad that I would recommend NOT driving it at some times of the afternoon and I definitely recommend not polishing the dash at all. I enjoy the Edge tho, just rides nice and seems well balanced cuz it weighs so much. :) I enjoy the nice leather and the panoramic moon roof.
I really enjoy my Terrain tho! I like the driver's cockpit and how easy it is to figure out and use. I would absolutely love dual climate tho. That has to be an upgrade GM needs to make.
I've got 3k on mine after 3 months and I'm looking forward to the journey ahead....

·
Registered
115 Posts
Would also like to mention that my girl went from a 2005 RAV4 to the Edge. I tried to talk her into a 09 LT Equinox at the time, but she wasn't into it. Guess what, now that I've got a Terrain, she absolutely wants one. We are going to trade in the Edge soon, I am pushing for an SRX tho. I don't want to have the same car as her. Maybe a LTZ Nox for her too. It's up to her. I just always wanted a Caddy!

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
godcore74 said:
Would also like to mention that my girl went from a 2005 RAV4 to the Edge. I tried to talk her into a 09 LT Equinox at the time, but she wasn't into it. Guess what, now that I've got a Terrain, she absolutely wants one. We are going to trade in the Edge soon, I am pushing for an SRX tho. I don't want to have the same car as her. Maybe a LTZ Nox for her too. It's up to her. I just always wanted a Caddy!
I don't blame her, if I had started shopping a year earlier (before the current gen was released) I probably would have ended up with an Edge or Nissan Murano. It's not that the first gen Nox looks bad, just that it never appealed to me in any certain way.

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
booradley said:
I just got out of my 2011 Chevy Cruze, 2LT. Bad, Bad Transmission and I had a tussle with GM and the dealer, the dealer came through, and I traded into a Equinox LTZ-AWD. Thus far much, much better than the Cruze, in ride, performance (LTZ is a 4 cyl), equipment, etc. MPG on the Cruze was about 21 tops so anything I get close to 21 is fine with me. I know it is an AWD, so I understand the MPG issue.
I actually work for a Ford Dealer as the new car dealer trade driver and the auction transporter, so I drive Fords equally as much. If I could have gotten a deal from Ford to trade my Cruze, I would have gone that route. The new Focus is great, the Fusion 4 cyl gets me 30-32 MPG without fail. The Edge is just too rough a ride and my Equinox is much better all around. I am satisfied, thus far.
I do apologize about your experiences with the Cruze, but I am glad that you are enjoying the Equinox. Please feel free to contact me in the future if you have any questions or concerns. Thank you.

Tricia, GM Customer Service.

·
Registered
332 Posts
2010 1LT FWD 4 cyl., now sitting at 24,000 kms.(15,000 miles). I liked it at first and now that we've been using it a lot, I'm liking it even more. At first I had reservations about owning a 4 cyl. but up to now I'm impressed by the smoothness and quietness of this engine. While it's still only a naturally aspirated 4 cyl., it's far more powerful and responsive than I would of expected. The transmission is smooth and my only small gripe is that there is some shift flare between clutch packs which is most noticeable when it's cold. That plus I'm used to torquey V8's & V6's and the six speed shifts down very quickly when going up a grade to maintain speed within the given power band.

The ride is very comfortable and quiet and it's nice to drive. My fuel economy keeps getting better too especially with syn. oil. Last year the 60/40 hwy/city was 8.3-8.4L/100km (34 MPG), and of course goes to crap in the winter with 8.9L/100km (31 MPG). Now on our last 650km (400 mi) trip which was 85/15 hwy/city and a average hwy. speed of 110-120kph (68-75 mph) 18°C, mostly flat terrain and no wind, we averaged 7.7L/100km (37 MPG). Add a headwind and it drops significantly.

One trick in terrain that has hills is that I don't use cruise control. I will let the speed increase going down hill and decrease going uphill while maintaining a steady throttle position. It prevents the cruise control from trying to accelerate uphill and decelerate downhill which wrecks fuel economy.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Hey @NoobNox, I was actually trying to get her into a 2nd Gen Nox at the time. It was Fall of 09 so the 10 models had just gotten there. It was a Cyber Gray LT2 I believe. She was just gunshy about GM products since it was so close to the bankruptcy and all.
She digs the Terrain after I kept showing her literature and the commercials. She would never bite tho and the more I looked ai it, the more I wanted it for myself. I really wanted the SLT2, but it was just not in the cards. That is what she wants tho so maybe a LTZ is in the future. Again, I just don't like having the same car. I like getting to drive different cars an I do all the driving when we go somewhere.
She's also throwing around mustang and camaro tho. Fun times

24 Posts
Please keep us posted if you decide to purchase an SRX or Equinox!

Thank you,
Caron, Cadillac Customer Service

godcore74 said:

·
Registered
32 Posts
First post here. Coming from a 08 Aspen with the HEMI I was a little apprehensive. I really liked the Edge and all the bells and whistles it had but in the end the $5K price difference and sticker mileage difference was the selling point. After 3 days I am happy with my decision and the wife loves the color and size compared to the Aspen. I am in my 40's and this is my first GM product.

BTW I bought a Mocha LTZ with the 4 banger, nav, 18's, and sunroof

·
Registered
176 Posts
Keep up the feedback on the impressions of the Nox and Terrain. I'm doing the search to replace my 06 HHR which has been a trouble free car since I bought it. I've been comparing the Nox and Terrain to the Kia Sportage and Hyundai Tucson. The biggest difference is the $3000-4000 lower price base of the Kia and Hyundai. The local GM dealers try to tack on additional dealer prep fees and paper shuffling fee which add up to an additional $400-600 along with higher transportation fees of about $100. The GM dealers have very few cars in stock to compare and are unwilling to offer any real deals. They just want to sell a unit..
:popcorn:

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Old Lar said:
Keep up the feedback on the impressions of the Nox and Terrain. I'm doing the search to replace my 06 HHR which has been a trouble free car since I bought it. I've been comparing the Nox and Terrain to the Kia Sportage and Hyundai Tucson. The biggest difference is the $3000-4000 lower price base of the Kia and Hyundai. The local GM dealers try to tack on additional dealer prep fees and paper shuffling fee which add up to an additional $400-600 along with higher transportation fees of about $100. The GM dealers have very few cars in stock to compare and are unwilling to offer any real deals. They just want to sell a unit..
:popcorn:
Trust me when I say that just like the Edge/Murano aren't worth the price premium....the Nox/Terrain ARE worth it over the Sportage and Tucson. Admittedly I didn't consider the Sportage, but the Tucson was on my list when I was car shopping thanks to a neighbor who had a brand new 09 Tucson at the time....that same neighbor now has a 2011 Equinox LT1 and feels they made a good switch. Having said that, car prices and deals aren't the greatest at the moment...if you can wait a couple months for 2012 production to start you might be able to get a better deal on a 2011.

·
Registered
2011 Equinox 1LT V6 3.0L
3,848 Posts
It's great if you're coming from a gas-guzzling full-sized SUV and you gotta replace your SUV with yet another "S-U-V". This is my first (and last) SUV. I only bought it because it was the closest thing to what I really wanted (a wagon) that GM offered.

But I have to say - I feel pretty stupid driving around a vehicle that does little more than my '02 Impala, but cost me $8000 more, weighs at least 500 lbs more, and gets worse gas mileage.

On the plus side, it has big wheels, looks nice inside and out, and my neighbors like it, so that makes me feel good about my purchase, I guess...

·
Registered
10,529 Posts
Colt Hero said:
On the plus side, it has big wheels, looks nice inside and out, and my neighbors like it, so that makes me feel good about my purchase, I guess...
:thumb:

·
Registered
2011 Equinox 1LT V6 3.0L
3,848 Posts
gmiemigrad said:
I am not a fan of documentation fees as they sometimes seem excessive compared to actual costs - but sometimes it is governed by state retail and franchise laws. In Ohio, the Ohio Revised Code was amended a few years ago to allow a maximum $250 documentation fee on retail contracts including car sales.
Dealer doc fees are nothing more than crooked sales tactics. They allow dealers to quote you one price then charge you another when you actually go to BUY the vehicle. The states are OK with this racket as long as the dealer charges the same doc fee to every customer. And the buyer can be OK with it too - AS LONG AS HE/SHE REMEMBERS TO ASK WHAT THE DOC FEE IS WHEN OBTAINING THE QUOTE. The REAL cost of the vehicle is the quoted price + the doc fee.

I feel very sad for the buyer who forgets to ask what the doc fee is, then goes in to sign the papers only to find that the price suddenly increased by $500 !!! I always wonder what percentage of people STILL go through with the purchase after getting this bomb dropped on them ...

1 - 20 of 46 Posts