GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anybody had any experience with buying wheels in the USA and bringing them into Canada?

If so, what were you charged when you brought them into Canada?

Or alternatively, where has anybody located in BC gotten a great deal on rims and tires locally?

I found the wheels I want for $980 for the set of wheels on eBay, and locally they were $1600, so the savings are significant......

I appreciate any help.....

·
Registered
830 Posts
You have to take in consideration that you have big shipping and customs + brokerage fees...

Shipping would be at least for 4 wheels about 200$ and you will have something like 200$ import fees/taxes...

I purchased my set of 18" GMC for the winter out of ebay, announced price was about 275$ + 200$ shipping and i got abour 80$ customs when it arrives here, keep in mind the my buying price of 275$. Price must be really good to make a deal from here in canada.

Mine costed about 550$ for a set of 4 OEM Gmc Terrain 18" wheels so the deal was good since it was costing little more than that for 4 third party cheap wheels. I was also luckey that they were looking brand new, not even a single scratch.

----

Other experience, i purchased a set of wheels for my Maxima a couple of years ago and when they arrived, they was brand new, alright... when i have them installed, we found that they were all not correct, i don't know how to say that but they were not perfect so the car was shaking like crazy. And since tires was already mounted on it (installation fees) the guy from who i purchased it never wanted to refund or exchange them. So i trashed them and lost 850$. I will never purchased third party wheels again over ebay. I think i was really lucky for my winter set of wheels. But the price was really good.

I suggest you to find them locally, you will get a warranty that they are correct, and you will probably get the tire installation free.

Hope i answered your questions.

Sorry for my english, not my primary language...

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply......

I live about 15 minutes from the USA border so I just ship them to Ship Happens and pick them up and bring them across the border myself, plus they are free shipping within the USA, so no brokerage fee and no shipping charge, just duty and HST......

I think I will still save about $550 on the purchase, so I will probably do it.......

Anybody else with any advice????

Thanks!!!

·
Registered
978 Posts
KevboyCanuck33 said:
Yeah....Post pictures when the're mounted... :hilarious:

·
Registered
830 Posts
It's good, but i wish you wont have any problems with your wheels...

Post pics when you will get them installed.

KevboyCanuck33 said:

I live about 15 minutes from the USA border so I just ship them to Ship Happens and pick them up and bring them across the border myself, plus they are free shipping within the USA, so no brokerage fee and no shipping charge, just duty and HST......

I think I will still save about $550 on the purchase, so I will probably do it.......

Thanks!!!

·
Registered
300 Posts
SuperMat64 said:
You have to take in consideration that you have big shipping and customs + brokerage fees...
Someone educate me, please explain brokerage fees when you order something from the US

·
Registered
5 Posts
I import mine from usarim with free shipping charges. They are so cheap in price and customers services are also satisfactory.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I have bought wheels (and suspension, and other automotive parts) from the States many times. Here in Ontario, if they get shipped over the border you pay the sales on the value of the goods, plus duty (free for most items made in the USA) and brokerage fee. The brokerage fee is the administrative cost for someone to 'release' the part for shipment across the border. You can avoid this cost by picking up the parcel at the border.

If you can drive over the border and pick up, all you will be on the hook for is tax in BC and duty. If the wheels are made in the US, the duty is zero. However, if the wheels were made overseas and shipped into the US, then there may be some duty cost to them. From what I can find, the duty is 6% on wheels/tires.

Sounds like a real good deal. If the wheels are new and from a reputable company, I say go for it.

·
Registered
935 Posts
Have you tried showing the eBay price to a local rim shop? Perhaps they'll match it or come come close to it.

At least by buying locally, if there's any issues - it would be easier to communicate.

Thanks
- Eric

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
Don B said:
Someone educate me, please explain brokerage fees when you order something from the US
Couriers such as Fed-ex and UPS charge to handle your items through customs.

If you can have your US shipper use USPS, they just had it over to Canada Post with no broker fee and 99% of the time no GST tax either.

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
KevboyCanuck33 said:

Thanks!!!
That's the next best way yep... you may get lucky and not have to declare them, as they are 'used' rims.. And you left the packaging in the US... ;D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts