GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm from Canada but will be moving to the US for a few years. While there I plan to purchase a car and bring it back with me when I return to Canada.

Has anyone had any experience importing a Chevy Equinox from the US to Canada with respect to any modifications that need to be done to meet Canadian standards? I know they are made in Canada but in case the ones for the US market have any differences I thought I'd check.

The common items that need to be looked at are:
- speedometer that shows kph and not just mph
- daytime running lights
- engine immobilizer
- safety restraints that meet Canadian standards

Thanks very much!

·
Registered
289 Posts
The speedometer can be changed via an easy menu change to show either MPH or KPH. It also shows all your distances in KM instead of miles and your fuel in liters instead of gallons.

Daytime running lights are standard on the Terrain and Equinox, and most other newer vehicles as well.

Can't help on the immobilizer or safety restraints (not sure what Canadian standards are on those if they differ from ours.)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your reply :thumb:

Great to hear about the speedometer. Is it a speedometer with the dial/needle or a digital display? If it tells you 'how many miles' until you need fuel, do all of those kinds of features also flip to km?

For the engine immobilizer it is something electronic...I think it basically prevents your engine from running unless the appropriate key is there...so it can't be hot wired. Those are now mandatory in Canada.

I am assuming (I hope!!) that the restraint systems would hopefully have equal requirements.

I'm a GM customer all the way, but I actually looked at Ford and some of their cars don't have daytime running lights standard...I was surprised at that.

·
Registered
10,525 Posts
rls said:

Great to hear about the speedometer. Is it a speedometer with the dial/needle or a digital display? If it tells you 'how many miles' until you need fuel, do all of those kinds of features also flip to km?
The Speedo always has the analogue display (needle), and you can optionally, also, display it digitally. It will even calculate the MPG in your crazy L/km - or whatever it is that "you guys" do, eh !

Sometimes I will change the setting to KM before my wife takes the car, and she gets surprised by how fast she is driving.

;D

·
Registered
289 Posts
rls said:

For the engine immobilizer it is something electronic...I think it basically prevents your engine from running unless the appropriate key is there...so it can't be hot wired. Those are now mandatory in Canada.

I am assuming (I hope!!) that the restraint systems would hopefully have equal requirements.

I'm a GM customer all the way, but I actually looked at Ford and some of their cars don't have daytime running lights standard...I was surprised at that.
The fuel gauge instead of showing 1/4 empty shows 3/4 full. Crazy canadians have to do it that way. ;)

Everything else switches perfect. The numbers for the needle on the speedo don't change, just where the needle points. So 60 MPH the needle would point to what us Ameericans think is 97 MPH but it would really be KMH if that's how you have the settings.

Interesting on the engine immobilizer. So does that mean remote start is illegal up there?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Haha, I was just going to ask a question about the one set of numbers on the analogue...but I can see that just got answered...thank-you to both of you.

No, oddly enough we have remote starters (almost a necessity depending where you live here when winter hits!!). I'm not sure how it knows when its ok to start the engine or not, but I guess it is 'smart' enough not to get stolen..somehow :shrug:

·
Registered
22 Posts
rls said:
Haha, I was just going to ask a question about the one set of numbers on the analogue...but I can see that just got answered...thank-you to both of you.

No, oddly enough we have remote starters (almost a necessity depending where you live here when winter hits!!). I'm not sure how it knows when its ok to start the engine or not, but I guess it is 'smart' enough not to get stolen..somehow :shrug:
in canada here... the remote start will start the engine, but it is still immobilized since you can't shift the transmission without the key in (this vehicle doesn't have manual transmission as an option). also you can't use remote start with the doors open or unlocked (or the hood open for that matter).

as for the importing, you should be OK as far as transport canada MVSR, they are almost the same as fmvss in the US. the issues you may encounter are: 1) some dealerships in canada won't do warranty work on a us-purchased vehicle; and 2) you'll probably have to pay 13% HST when you bring it home.

·
Registered
289 Posts
CuHead said:
1) some dealerships in canada won't do warranty work on a us-purchased vehicle
If that is true, not doubting you, then that is the biggest oxymoron I've ever seen. The vehicle is produced in canada, then sold to the US, then transferred back to Canada, and they won't cover the work because it wasn't sold there. If true, I guess they think the American dirt or air for being exposed to 10 miles of it could ruin it. :facepalm:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Because I will have been living in the US for more than 1 year, when I bring it back I only have to pay 5% (GST), and only on the current value over $10,000. If I was just plain crossing the border to buy a car and bring it back I'd have to pay 13%. But I luck out since I am moving there for work.

re: the warranty...some of the companies won't honor it I think to prevent people from going to the US to specifically purchase a car...it's unfortunate but the purchase price can differ by a lot between Canada and the US. I was looking up information and when you buy a car in the US and bring it to Canada, Ford and GM will honor warranties, Chrysler, Honda and VW will not, for example. I don't know if I could plead my case and say that the reason I have a US car is because I lived there. But for me, since I'm going with GM I hope I don't have trouble because their corporate office says it is ok, provided the car is at least 6months old and has 12000 km before you try to warranty it in Canada. I suppose if I can't find a cooperative dealership I'll have to call their corporate office.

·
Registered
22 Posts
rls said:
But for me, since I'm going with GM I hope I don't have trouble because their corporate office says it is ok, provided the car is at least 6months old and has 12000 km before you try to warranty it in Canada. I suppose if I can't find a cooperative dealership I'll have to call their corporate office.
that makes sense, I live right near the border and was seriously thinking about purchasing my terrain in the USA, and the u.s. dealer didn't tell me about the six month/12000km thing... they wouldn't have had a reason to, as I was obviously cross border shopping and not living there.
as for the HST that makes sense too. I last imported a used (2 yr old) vehicle back in 1992, before the tax existed, so no first hand experience on that.

·
Registered
22 Posts
JediSkipdogg said:
If that is true, not doubting you, then that is the biggest oxymoron I've ever seen. The vehicle is produced in canada, then sold to the US, then transferred back to Canada, and they won't cover the work because it wasn't sold there. If true, I guess they think the American dirt or air for being exposed to 10 miles of it could ruin it. :facepalm:
the u.s. dealer told me, that if I buy from them, the warranty comes from GM. If I buy in Canada, the warranty comes from GM Canada, which is a distinct company. but as the OP said in his reply - they honor it after 6mo/12k - obviously to protect dealers near the border ;)

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
rls said:
I'm from Canada but will be moving to the US for a few years. While there I plan to purchase a car and bring it back with me when I return to Canada.

Has anyone had any experience importing a Chevy Equinox from the US to Canada with respect to any modifications that need to be done to meet Canadian standards? I know they are made in Canada but in case the ones for the US market have any differences I thought I'd check.

The common items that need to be looked at are:
- speedometer that shows kph and not just mph
- daytime running lights
- engine immobilizer
- safety restraints that meet Canadian standards

Thanks very much!
I would recommend contacting your local dealer for more information and options when it comes to your purchase. Please feel free to contact me with any further questions. Thank you.

Tricia, GM Customer Service.

·
Registered
673 Posts
I imported mine from Seattle, it was built in Canada.....all I had to do is pay the border Fees/taxes and that is all....

It comes ready for Canadian use.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts