GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I used to tow my 700 pound quad with a 98 S-10 pickup with a 4.3 liter 190 hp engine. This Saturday I hunted with my son and towed the quad for the first time with the Terrain. The quad and trailer probably weigh 1000 pounds and the car pulled it great. Had plenty of power while limiting the trans to 5th. Mileage dropped from 24 to 17 but that is expected. In the truck it would drop from 19 to 15. The car with the extra 70 hp was a pleasure to drive and it was hard to tell the trailer was back there.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
35 Posts
CarrollB said:
I used to tow my 700 pound quad with a 98 S-10 pickup with a 4.3 liter 190 hp engine. This Saturday I hunted with my son and towed the quad for the first time with the Terrain. The quad and trailer probably weigh 1000 pounds and the car pulled it great. Had plenty of power while limiting the trans to 5th. Mileage dropped from 24 to 17 but that is expected. In the truck it would drop from 19 to 15. The car with the extra 70 hp was a pleasure to drive and it was hard to tell the trailer was back there.
awesome to hear that. i was wondering how it was going to be pulling my jet ski. Good info. THanks.
 

·
Read Only
Joined
·
35 Posts
We hooked up to to our 6' x 12' cargo trailer that weights a good 1200lbs unloaded and loaded it with about 500 lbs of stuff we are packing up. The only thing that was concerning was the hitch is a dealer installed accessory and it was creaking when we hit some bumps. I don't know what it is and I haven't got a chance to look at it yet. I will check them before we hook up again. Anyway, it towed our cargo trailer with ease. In the manual it says to only tow at 50 mph for the first 500 miles for break-in. I found it harder to keep the 'Nox at 50mph then it was to pull that the trailer around.

 

·
Read Only
Joined
·
35 Posts
98SilvZ71 said:
We hooked up to to our 6' x 12' cargo trailer that weights a good 1200lbs unloaded and loaded it with about 500 lbs of stuff we are packing up. The only thing that was concerning was the hitch is a dealer installed accessory and it was creaking when we hit some bumps. I don't know what it is and I haven't got a chance to look at it yet. I will check them before we hook up again. Anyway, it towed our cargo trailer with ease. In the manual it says to only tow at 50 mph for the first 500 miles for break-in. I found it harder to keep the 'Nox at 50mph then it was to pull that the trailer around.

I got to worrying about the 'Nox and that dang hitch so I just went out and grabbed a flashlight and a wrench and decided to check the bolts. They were almost barely tighter than finger tight. :eek: I am pissed, maybe the dealer that we traded with to get it to our dealer didn't think that anyone was actually going to use it. I just can't believe it....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
241 Posts
98SilvZ71 said:
I got to worrying about the 'Nox and that dang hitch so I just went out and grabbed a flashlight and a wrench and decided to check the bolts. They were almost barely tighter than finger tight. :eek: I am pissed, maybe the dealer that we traded with to get it to our dealer didn't think that anyone was actually going to use it. I just can't believe it....
Wow. The installation instructions state a specific torque to tighten the bolts. Definitely let them know and check to make sure those bolts are torqued correctly.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
112 Posts
I towed for the first time this weekend on my 2012 Equinox LTZ V6. Worked wonderfully! I was towing a flat bed trailer with dirt and mulch. Absolutely no problem at all. I installed the hitch, so I know the torque on the bolts was correct. Very happy with it! :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5 Posts
I recently towed two PWCs and trailer, weighting about 2,000 lbs, and the little V6 handled it very well. Didn't check the mileage because it was a short trip (50 miles) to the lake. I am very pleased with the performance.
 
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Top