GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All! I'm going to be buying the 2012 GMC Terrain SLE-2 this weekend and just wanted your opinion.

Some background: I live just north of Toronto, Canada and have been researching small SUV's over the past few months. I've chosen the Terrain for it's looks, fuel economy (although this is being refuted by many), cabin space, infotainment system and comfortable ride. There is one thing that keeps niggling me however, which is the actual drive itself - it seems to have zero pick-up and torque, as if the car is too heavy for the engine. My other car is a 2007 Mazda 3GT and whilst I'm definitely not expecting it to drive the same, I do find that there's some major lag. On a side note, the reason why I've chosen the SLE-2 FWD 4-Cylinder is due to budget - the best deal I can find is $35,000 taxes in - I've been to several dealerships and they're not budging on the price.

So, what do you guys think?

·
Registered
468 Posts
When buying it double check to make sure that the infomat system will be the one that can stream pandora and whatnot. The early releases of 2012's do not have that feature yet. I have a AWD I4 and the 0-60MPH (im in the US) is 10 seconds. I would imagine the FWD may be a tad faster, maybe 9.99999 seconds ;D After reviewing some V6's lately it seems the 0-60 times for them is also 10 seconds, so that just enforces what I been saying for a long time to only get the V6 if you tow. As for the pricing that I am not sure of since I am in the US.

·
Registered
949 Posts
The best thing you can do is to get two dealerships to "compete" for your business. So, they'd try to out-price the other dealership. Maybe soon someone else from Canada will post, with a better comparison on pricing for you.

If you expect to do any towing, you'll need to opt for the V6, but I'm perfectly happy with my 4 cyl. The ride is very smooth and quiet. It is a little slow compared to V6 SUV's, but that's expected. It still has plenty enough "get up and go" for typical driving.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Sumr616 said:
If you expect to do any towing, you'll need to opt for the V6, but I'm perfectly happy with my 4 cyl. The ride is very smooth and quiet. It is a little slow compared to V6 SUV's, but that's expected. It still has plenty enough "get up and go" for typical driving.
This...

·
Registered
93 Posts
Check out some complained is this section/forum before you make your decision. Take your time, don't rush and don't be so excited to get one.

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
Get everything on it from the get go that you can't live without....It will cost you more in the long run to add...
$35000. wow, guess that's what pays for your health care right?
I have the 4cyl and love it no problems so far in 2 years on a trip (highway speeds) I've got 33mpg my calculations around town I'm getting 26 mpg
If you purchase, go over vehicle Before you sign.... make sure dealer will take care of any problems(in writing) Drive it first make sure seat is what you want etc..
Remember they can always get you another one so dont rush..

·
Registered
698 Posts
Not sure how far north of the GTA but there should be plenty of dealerships there to compete for your business. Try emailing around and see if any bite. You can also use the gmcanada.com website to search inventories of the various dealers for the models/options you are looking for.

Re the Pandora, us Canucks are out of luck for that I believe.

And Fourmore... the 13% Ontario sales tax is what helps pay for our healthcare (along with our personal Provincial income taxes). Don't forget that even the MSRPs are thousands higher here for the same vehicle... that money goes into GM's pocket!

Heck, even the vehicle destination charge is probably twice as much for the OP (who likely lives an hour from the plant) as it is for someone in Southern California!

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have the 2012 SLT-1 V6. It's plenty fast for me. I started the shopping process looking at the 2011, but I'm glad to get everything I wanted in the 2012. It has the new infotainment center in it, but it doesn't do pandora or bluetooth dialing with my iphone's phone book. I have to create entries on the systems phone book and choose the iphone after i hit the phone button on the steering wheel.

I'm happy with my purchase, but definitely kick the tires for yourself first!

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
Terrain said:
Not sure how far north of the GTA but there should be plenty of dealerships there to compete for your business. Try emailing around and see if any bite. You can also use the gmcanada.com website to search inventories of the various dealers for the models/options you are looking for.

Re the Pandora, us Canucks are out of luck for that I believe.

And Fourmore... the 13% Ontario sales tax is what helps pay for our healthcare (along with our personal Provincial income taxes). Don't forget that even the MSRPs are thousands higher here for the same vehicle... that money goes into GM's pocket!

Heck, even the vehicle destination charge is probably twice as much for the OP (who likely lives an hour from the plant) as it is for someone in Southern California!
WoW is that 13% on everything? is there another sales tax for each provence?(spelled wrong I know)

·
Registered
176 Posts
Just wait for the "Flat" tax that some US politicians want. A 23% national sales tax, plus what ever state/county sales tax gets added on (6-10%). The Flat tax would supposedly eliminate the Federal income tax in the US, but I know of no tax, once implimented ever gets eliminated. :thumbdown:

I'm holding off on any new car purchase until the US economy gets "better" or at least looks better. Beside most dealers in the neighborhood only have one or two Terrains or Equinoxes on their lots at one time. The dealers attitude is if you don't want to buy it at this price, we will sell it to someone else.

As I'm writing this, there is an advertisement for the Nissan Juke at the top of the page. :facepalm:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts