GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2010 Terrain SLE,3.0 , 3500 km's. purchased Dec 28 .,09

Put the key in and tried to start,all lights,instruments and radio came on,continued to turn the key to engage the starter and nothing,no click from solenoid or nothing.......Tried three times.........took key out .....tried it again and it started..........this is the second time it happened ,first time a week after I got it .

I have not taken it in yet as I am waiting for 5000,so I can do an oil change(Second one)and get the trans checked out.

Any one else seen this.????

·
Registered
111 Posts
What are you getting checked out on the transmission?

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Are there any lights on the dash flashing? Mainly the security light.

·
Registered
115 Posts
tjjkc...I understand that this is kind of worrisome, but twice in 5k miles doesn't seem like a high frequency. I have noticed that the car gets a little 'annoyed' when I lock with the remote, and then unlock with the key. I haven't really explored that very much, but maybe you did that, or something like that? I'll try to recreate the 'annoyance' that I had with the remote/key combination, and see if that looks like what you describe...

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
redlight_005 said:
What are you getting checked out on the transmission?
The typical trans issue as posted on the site....seems like parking brake is dragging,rolling on light hills,seems like the brake is on when coasting from 50 k down

bballr4567 said:
Are there any lights on the dash flashing? Mainly the security light.
I did not notice the security light flashing ,I will have to watch for it if it happens again

dm2010nox said:
tjjkc...I understand that this is kind of worrisome, but twice in 5k miles doesn't seem like a high frequency. I have noticed that the car gets a little 'annoyed' when I lock with the remote, and then unlock with the key. I haven't really explored that very much, but maybe you did that, or something like that? I'll try to recreate the 'annoyance' that I had with the remote/key combination, and see if that looks like what you describe...
I did not unlock with the key...but when it would not start I opened the door ,closed the door ,locked with remote ,unlocked with remote,opened the door and tried starting,and it did..........so maybe it is just a bit confused at times

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well the no start has happened a few more times..............but I THINK I know what it was.....

I had unlocked the door with the remote and tried starting it..........BUT..........I had the key folded at 90 degrees ...it would not start....

I then opened the key up fully(straight) and it did start .......I tried this several times going in and out locking, unlocking,straight and bent at 90..

I am assuming that the security chip cannot be read when the key is folded at 90 degrees....

I am wondering if someone else could try starting with the key bent,after opening with the remote,just to see if I am correct,or not.

·
Registered
315 Posts
tjjkc said:
Well the no start has happened a few more times..............but I THINK I know what it was.....

I had unlocked the door with the remote and tried starting it..........BUT..........I had the key folded at 90 degrees ...it would not start....

I then opened the key up fully(straight) and it did start .......I tried this several times going in and out locking, unlocking,straight and bent at 90..

I am assuming that the security chip cannot be read when the key is folded at 90 degrees....

I am wondering if someone else could try starting with the key bent,after opening with the remote,just to see if I am correct,or not.
If the key fob is bent, not fully extended it will not start the car...you have to remove the key, then re-install with the keyfob in the correct position...My audi/vw was the same way

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
grometsc said:
If the key fob is bent, not fully extended it will not start the car...you have to remove the key, then re-install with the keyfob in the correct position...My audi/vw was the same way
Thanks .....had my wife try it with her keys same thing happen..........wonders never cease.....I'm going to assume it is something to do with the security chip...oooorrrrrrrrrr something

·
Registered
115 Posts
grometsc said:
wow. I would never have guessed. This must be some kind of security or safety feature or something. I mean, they would have had to actively engineer something like this, right? but I just can't figure out why such a thing would have been done...

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
tjjkc said:

I found it kind of odd,but if it does help for security I can understand

·
Registered
196 Posts
old topic i know....but I've had this exact same problem.

Dealer replaced ECU and BCM...fixed the problem.

HOWEVER..it has happend twice now..and i pulled the key out and put it back in and it started...so this might be a key problem.

when you mean bent to 90 degrees...you mean not letting the key "flip" out completely and lock into place correct? If so..mine was all the way out every time it didn't start...but i might have a bad key.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
"""" when you mean bent to 90 degrees...you mean not letting the key "flip" out completely and lock into place correct? If so..mine was all the way out every time it didn't start...but i might have a bad key."""""

Yes that is what I meant by 90 degrees.............I have not had a problem since I made sure it was open all the way

1 - 13 of 13 Posts