GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2018 Terrain Denali AWD does a fine job of getting through the winter driving conditions. The problem is when ice and snow fill in the gap between the wipers and the hood, I don't get to drive anywhere without spending 20 min digging out the wipers and clearing the icy mess.

Out of all the SUV's and cars we've owned this one has the very worst design for filling up with unremovable ice and snow chunks. Obviously this was designed by some GM guy who lives in California.

·
Registered
312 Posts
I did what bigb said above and moved to SC, but I'll pass along a couple of oldtimer tips from when I lived in the snow zone of eastern wa. state. It may not work with newer vehicles but on older ones you could shut the ignition off with the wiper motor still on, time it with the blades up on the glass and put newspaper or thin cardboard under the wiper blades to keep them from freezing to the glass. You could still carry cardboard with you and put them under the wiper blades even if they fully retract into the cowl area. And fill your wiper reservoir with a de-icing formula, not just the winter stuff.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I did what bigb said above and moved to SC, but I'll pass along a couple of oldtimer tips from when I lived in the snow zone of eastern wa. state. It may not work with newer vehicles but on older ones you could shut the ignition off with the wiper motor still on, time it with the blades up on the glass and put newspaper or thin cardboard under the wiper blades to keep them from freezing to the glass. You could still carry cardboard with you and put them under the wiper blades even if they fully retract into the cowl area. And fill your wiper reservoir with a de-icing formula, not just the winter stuff.
Or make it easier and just lift up the wiper arms if you're vehicle is going to be sitting for a bit with snow in the forecast. I just use a Frost Guard windshield cover. That thing saves so much time especially when ice is in the forecast.

·
Registered
3,562 Posts
I grew up in New England and fought through many snowy winters. I can’t see putting one of those covers on the windshield and mirrors. You still gotta dig it out beneath 6” or more of snow and ice to get it off! And it’s strapped across the body and wheels?? OMG! More trouble than its worth, IMO.

Just pull the blades outward so they’re pointing toward the sky, and go outside periodically to clean the snow off before you go to bed. That’s what I always did. Good enough!

·
Registered
976 Posts
And it’s strapped across the body and wheels?? OMG!

Those straps across the side of the car will probably scuff the paint on windy days.

Reactions: Colt Hero
1 - 8 of 8 Posts