GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just started having problems with my 2011 Terrain stalling on me. It's happened three times recently mostly when turning into a parking lot at lower speeds. 14 months old and about 42,000 miles on it. I travel for work a lot and get a lot of highway miles on the car. Really no issues so far other than I'm not satisfied with the gas mileage.

I also started getting the noise at startup after a cold soak. Not sure what to do since I'm out of the warranty period and don't want to spend money to "fix" a car that's not that old.

Are there any known long term issues letting the start up noise issue going unfixed? Also what about the stalling at low speed/load on the engine? I run top tier fuel probably 90% of the time so I'm hoping that bad fuel isn't the issue. Is this a known problem? Is there a bulletin or fix for this?

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have 46,000 miles on my Nox and they fixed the startup noise for free. Should all be covered in the 10 year, 100,000 mile drive train warranty.

·
Registered
10,529 Posts
gotjulie said:
I have 46,000 miles on my Nox and they fixed the startup noise for free. Should all be covered in the 10 year, 100,000 mile drive train warranty.
I'm not sure about it being 10 years, but I think it is something like 5/100 for the powertrain.

·
Registered
949 Posts
What is your build date? 14 months old, so it's outside of the build date range for the Recall that is *supposed* to (but may not permanently) fix those two problems. It still worth it to call in to your dealership and see if they'll replace the solenoids. If they won't do it, you can do it yourself. Someone here had detailed how to replace the solenoids, with pictures included. Maybe someone here remembers who that was and what thread it was in. I want to say it may have been "Terrain 2011" that did that? I may be wrong.

Point being, it's probably the Cam Exhaust/Intake Actuator Solenoid Valves - there are two of them (Intake and Exhaust). I think they each cost about $40. And from what others say, it's a relatively easy repair, kind of like spark plugs - pull out the old ones, carefully insert the new ones. ...I mean, it only takes the dealership about 30 minutes.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Some have had it fixed...others of us finally got rid of the car.

I had the 2011 I4 with stalling and rattling startup noise.. GM told me not to worry, I have 5 years,100k warranty!..well, I use my vehicle for work, I need it to run!

So after 6 repair attempts I did the lemon law and got some money and traded it in for a 2012 V6...

I know that there are threads regarding these issues ...(and if you search, you will find a lot of them!) are very long..but alot of good information in them..Hopefully Tdog will comment on this post and give you some clear cut directions on what you will need to have done...He has all this info documented very well!

also!.....check out this thread, and vote!....

http://www.terrainforum.net/index.php?topic=3068.0

·
Registered
368 Posts
What is the build date of your Terrain? You'll find it on the top right corner of a silver sticker on the driver's door frame, down low near the lower hinge for the rear door. It's in month/year format.

Those of us who have been dealing with this and watching the posts and information over the past year have become somewhat familiar with three items: ECM updates, the actuator solenoids, and the intake and exhause actuators themselves. The most significant and up to date information is in bulletin 562. This bulletin basically refers to checking for ECM updates and replacing the solenoids per recall 11195, and then replacing the actuators. The data posted here indicates, however, that the build date range to which recall 11195 was issued is too narrow. Affected vehicles range from Sept 2010 through June 2011 build dates. Stalling at low speed is one of the symptoms that has appeared on the two main threads: Issues and Noisy Startup.

There have been successes, largely since January of this year when new actuator parts became available. This was first brought to light by barry83 on this forum.

The approach -- as documented in bulletin 562 -- seems to be to apply ECM updates, replace the solenoids, and replace the actuators. An oil change is often recommended by the forum members. And this work MUST be done at the same time or at least in this order. Perhaps the biggest issue documented on this forum is recurrence of the symptoms when only part of the work is done, or the steps are done in multiple visits in the wrong sequence.

The number of "successful" repairs -- those where the vehicles go at least a month without symptoms and no recurrence has been reported -- is increasing. My thanks to those who have contributed the information summarized here.

Good luck, hope this helps. BTW, both bulletin 562 and recall 11195 are posted on the recalls thread of this forum.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
There's are resident expert on the 2011 issues!!... :thumb:

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
****! I'm glad I asked. I'll call the dealership this week and see they tell me. Based on past experience with them I'm sure will be having the updates done at Paul's Automotive. I can trust them to do what I ask them to do.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
In clinton Twp?

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
michiganmtbr said:
I just started having problems with my 2011 Terrain stalling on me. It's happened three times recently mostly when turning into a parking lot at lower speeds. 14 months old and about 42,000 miles on it. I travel for work a lot and get a lot of highway miles on the car. Really no issues so far other than I'm not satisfied with the gas mileage.

I also started getting the noise at startup after a cold soak. Not sure what to do since I'm out of the warranty period and don't want to spend money to "fix" a car that's not that old.

Are there any known long term issues letting the start up noise issue going unfixed? Also what about the stalling at low speed/load on the engine? I run top tier fuel probably 90% of the time so I'm hoping that bad fuel isn't the issue. Is this a known problem? Is there a bulletin or fix for this?
I am glad to hear that you are planning to visit the dealer regarding your concern. Please keep me posted and feel free to contact me if you need more assistance. Thank you.

Tricia, GM Customer Service.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Hi Everyone.

I had the rattling issues at 3700 miles; however, thanks to this forumn, the issue was quickly resolved as the dealer replaced the solenoids and did an ECM update.

Now @ 13500 miles, I noticed the smell of fuel in the oil after I performed an oil change. Even the new synthetic oil seems to now be contaminated with the fuel smell. I let my dealership service manager know this (as he resolved the rattle issue based on the info I gave him on this forumn) and am waiting on a response. I requested the following:

1. Inspect oil as there is a heavy fuel smell even after a recent full synthetic change. Perform previous tech bulletin I referenced or any others that are applicable.
2. Check for hidden codes on the vehicle.
3. Inspect cam shaft if fuel is found in oil as I do not want any future issues with the vehicle.
4. Perform any software updates as needed on the vehicle.
5. Provide loaner vehicle as I can only bring the vehicle in any day this week at 5pm to be inspected the next day.

Has anyone dealt with Tom Ryan (Service Manager) @ North County GMC in Escondido? If so, have any of you brought this issue up to him? Last week he emailed me with this when I brought up the fact that my car seems like it is wanting to stall where the RPMs rev high and low at idle:

We have heard nothing on this issue in fact the Terrrain has been our least problematic car we have in the GM line.

If anyone else is in the Escondido/San Diego Area having the same issues and would like to team up - please let me know.

Thanks!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts