GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 12' Equinox has this for an oil dipstick. The owners manual shows a pic that does not match my stick.
I changed my oil today and added 5 qts. The level is just at/below the top crosshatch area. Is it safe to say that
an oil level between the crosshatch areas is correct.

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
Yes, that's correct.
An oil level in either of the two crosshatched areas is not recommended.
So your bang on with your oil level as you have stated.[/color]

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
POLRCUB said:
Yes, that's correct.
Thanks, looks like Chevrolet needs to update their manual.

·
Registered
626 Posts
POLRCUB said:
Yes, that's correct.
Just curious how you came up with that. Where does it say anywhere in the manual or anywhere from GM that being in the crosshatched area is not recommended?

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
mnussbaum said:
Just curious how you came up with that. Where does it say anywhere in the manual or anywhere from GM that being in the crosshatched area is not recommended?
It doesn't say anywhere, just common sense, my statement is not to be confused with that a catastrophic event is going to happen.

Put it this way, would you continously run your vehicle in the lower cross-hatched area? Probably not, comon sense tells you otherwise, you can run it there if you wish, as long as the oil pick up pump is getting oil - you'd be fine, would drastically reduce the longevity of your oil as it would be circulating more. Get below the hatched area, your low pressure oil light would come on after a while. And after that - well you know what can happen,,,

In the top hatched area, sure go ahead and run your oil level there, but its not neccessary, the normal operating range is between the two - lube mechanics may run it at that level simply because if the manual calls for 4.7 liters or quarts, or any amount slightly less than a full 1 quart or 1 liter jug - they may just dump the rest in, as keeping it for the next oil change is just a hassle.

Above the upper hatched area puts you in the range of major overfilling and that causes frothing of the oil as the crankshaft starts to 'beat' the oil as the engine rotates and that can lead to main bearing damage.
I wanted to give EquinoxFF1063 the simplest answer without to much detail,
Cheers [/color]

·
Registered
92 Posts
Exactly what are the cross hatch areas you are all referring to, I am a little confused exactly where the oil level should be now.

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
jackiek said:
Exactly what are the cross hatch areas you are all referring to, I am a little confused exactly where the oil level should be now.
The picture EquinoxFF1063 posted at the beginning of this thread/topic.[/color]

EquinoxFF1063 said:

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Jenniebeeb said:
Had this dipstick on my 2009 HHR as well, oil level has always been IN the upper crosshatch area. Was not below.

OP - are you stating you added 5 quarts and it is BELOW (and not within) the cross hatch area?[size=10pt][/size]
After a test drive, and repetitive checking, my level fills the top crosshatch area. That was with a full oil drain, new filter, and 5 qts of Mobil 1.

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
jackiek said:
After you view the picture EquinoxFF1063 posted, if your oil level is anywhere between the upper and lower cross-hatched areas you can add some oil to raise it to the upper cross-hatched area or just in the area, just try and not go over the cross-hatched area[/color]

·
Registered
11 Posts
As a new 2013 owner, I found this thread interesting because the dipstick looks different from the depiction in the manual and it's not very intuitive as to how to read it (evidence the previous post that suggested it was not recommended to have an oil level in the upper hatched area). My dipstick looks identical to the photo above which is different from what is shown in the manual (also as indicated above). Since there were some differing opinions given previously, I thought I would mention that the oil level in my new Equinox (less than 200 miles) is slightly above the top hatched area. So it appears to me that the correct full level is at the top of the top hatched area.

On an unrelated note, I found that my new Equinox had ZERO windshield washer fluid....completely empty. The windshield washer fluid reservoir is kind of odd because it's mostly hidden so it's hard to see the fluid level unless the fluid is up into the neck of the filler tube. So, I didn't notice that it didn't have any fluid until I tried to top it off and just kept pouring fluid in there. Not the best design I have seen.

dcsforum

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
For sure, slightly above the upper cross-hatched area is perfectly fine,, if its higher than that, like 3/8's of an inch or higher,,then thats to much and should be drained down. Anywhere within the cross-hatched area is fine.

Yeah, a few members here have posted on the lack of design from GM on that. Would be nice to have a low level alert or like some other cars, a small yellow styrofoam tube rides up and down in the filler neck with the fluid level.
That was a great idea I thought,,,

·
Registered
352 Posts
The pic's in my 2012 manual closely resembles the one above.

This is also in the manual about oil level "Notice: Do not add too much oil. Oil levels above or below the acceptable operating range shown on the dipstick are harmful to the engine. If you find that you have an oil level above the operating range, i.e., the engine has so much oil that the oil level gets above the cross-hatched area that shows the proper operating range, the engine could be damaged."

I am not sure if the confusion is the crosshatch or the physical look of the dip stick, but most of the GM sticks look the same, meaning a lower crosshatch area followed by normal operation range area and then the upper crosshatch. Years ago they did have a line that said ADD but that has seemed to have been deleted in favor of the current look.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts