GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went out a limb and bought a 2011 SLE-2 4-cyl FWD terrain in June 2011. I have been a Honda person for my last few purchases but decided to give GM a chance. I live in Ohio and now that it is cold some issues have come up.

When I leave my defroster on with the heater it sporadically goes cold and never gets hot again. I have taken it to the dealer 4 or 5 times to get this addressed with no success. The most recent time I was told that this is working as design and given a work around of not using the defroster by itself. Instead use the Auto setting. Fine, I’ll do that, but I have never seen a car lose all of the heat when using the defroster by itself.

Next issue, as you all know the gas mileage is nowhere near 32. I get about 23-24 and if I drive extremely and annoyingly carefully I can get 26. If I go 55mph I will get 28.5. That’s useful.

Next issue, and this is the last straw, my windshield washer intermediately stops working. I did not see this until we had enough snow where I actually needed them. They will be working fine for a while then they will no longer spray. The washer motor will still be running and there will be a small drip but no spray. This is very dangerous. And before you say it is frozen fluid, explain this; I was on the way from Ohio to Detroit last weekend. The windshield washer was working for the first two hours then stopped working. I had to drive with smeared dirty snow on the window because it would not spray for the rest of the trip. The rear washer still sprayed though. It was 12 degrees in Detroit and I went to a basketball game while the car was left outside in the snow and cold. When I came back out from the basketball game an hour later the washers were working again. I have the truck with the dealer yet again to address this issue and so far it seems like they are going to give it back to me because they cannot reproduce it.

What else sucks is how the dealer keeps making me catch the shuttle instead of giving me a loaner. So I have to go a whole day without a car. God forbid an emergency happens and I have to leave work to get my kid or something, I guess I would wait for GM to come and pick me up. That’s effective. Honda gave me a loaner and all I was doing was getting scotch guard put on the seats.

I have previously purchased 2 new Hondas and have not had any issues. I have never taken one back to the dealer for any mechanical issue and one now has 85k miles. So far I am not happy with the Terrain. It’s funny because when I first got it and it had the new car smell it felt so good and I was convinced I would buy an Acadia also. GMC can forget that now. I will probably buy something German next. I hear they make a heck of a car. We’ll see.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Ask them for a loaner, thats a dealer issue, not GM... They give you a loaner and charge GM for it anyways...(if under warranty period)..

I didnt ask for a loaner the first time i had issues, they didnt bring it up..after that, i told them I needed a loaner, no problem.

Actually that MPG isnt bad..I think its still in the range of the FWD I-4..some of us have had worse MPG..yeah, its not going to get the 32MPG..

The heat/defroster issue has been discussed around here too, I think..hopefully someone can give you some info to help with that..

Good luck and keep us informed!

·
Registered
64 Posts
I think you may be wise to avoid Hondas in the future..I know someone that works for a dealership and he has commented on they have gotten much more iffy with the quality of their car as they have gotten more and more profitable here in the USA over the years.

The mpg will get better as you put more miles on the car. But no, you still most likely won't be getting 32 mpg eco-mode or not

·
Registered
161 Posts
It's frustrating in this day and age that there seems to be so many problems with new cars. I know vehicles are getting more and more high tech, but can't anyone make a good product anymore. Toyota stepped down from the number 1 spot so they could focus on quality and their reputation. Maybe GM needs to do the same thing.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I know you say the window washer fluid is not freezing, but I'll bet that's exactly what's happening based on your description, orthere could be some debris in the line prior to the split to the separate front wipers (as niether is working). I'd try replacing the fluid myself, maybe the dealer topped it off with water? It just does not seem like it should be something that is "the last straw".

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Valsequinox said:
It's frustrating in this day and age that there seems to be so many problems with new cars. I know vehicles are getting more and more high tech, but can't anyone make a good product anymore. Toyota stepped down from the number 1 spot so they could focus on quality and their reputation. Maybe GM needs to do the same thing.
I was just talking to a coworker the other day about the same thing, but then we realized that the vast majority of "problems" with newer cars are tech related....but not really reliability related. I can't remember any car I've owned made in the past 10-15 years that has left me stranded on the side of the road....yet every single one of the cars I had in the 80's-early 90's did just that at least once and sometimes multiple break-downs. And that list includes a Toyota and an Acura..

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
Valsequinox said:
They did, It was called bankruptcy....

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
Do you have a case regarding your concerns? Have you spoken with anyone at customer assistance? I would be happy to look into this for you with more information. Please feel free to contact me privately with the last eight of your VIN and you dealer name for more assistance. Thank you.

Tricia, GM Customer Service.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks guys for the comments. Hopefully someone has some insight to the defroster issue.

The dealer once again told me there is nothing they can do since they were not able to recreate the problem. I requested that the whole system be replaced because it is dangerous and was basically told they would not replace the whole thing without being able to see the issue. Maybe I will video tape it next time, hopefully that will be enough for them to take this seriously. If I was to wreck because I could not clear off my window would GM be responsible?

Since my wife still loves the truck she does not want to completely turn our backs on GM just yet. I have asked to dealer to see what can be done to get me into a similar truck to see if I just have a bad apple. But me personally I am willing to completely turn my back on GM under the "first impressions are lasting ones" rule.

EquinoxFF1063 said:
I know you say the window washer fluid is not freezing, but I'll bet that's exactly what's happening based on your description, or there could be some debris in the line prior to the split to the separate front wipers (as niether is working). I'd try replacing the fluid myself, maybe the dealer topped it off with water? It just does not seem like it should be something that is "the last straw".
I do not understand how it could be frozen and then unfreeze while sitting outside in 12 degrees in Detroit. The dealer tried to say that maybe someone put some washer fluid that could freeze in there when I got my last oil change because the jiffy lubes of the world are known for using watered down stuff. Unfortunately for him his dealership did the only oil change I have ever gotten on the truck.

I just called and asked about debris in the system and was told that would not have been the cause because it would stay blocked if that was the case. Growing very tired…..

Tricia I will send you the VIN shortly.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Is there a separate pump for the rear fluid? I know it uses the same reservoir but I am thinking it is a separate pump. The pump for the front could be having intermittent issues where it works sometimes and sometimes it doesn't. Should be a fairly inexpensive part to replace.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Its been warm the last couple days here in Detroit..does it still have a problem with washer fluid??

I know things froze up on Sunday around here..

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ended up going to the owner of the dealership and the head of service before it was taken seriously. After talking to GM the dealer replaced the whole windshield washer system. Also reflashed the software suspected of causing the heater to stop blowing heat. Hopefully this fixes the issue. They said that when that talked with GM there were no reported instances of either of these issues.

·
Registered
22 Posts
ahhrealistjr said:
Ended up going to the owner of the dealership and the head of service before it was taken seriously. After talking to GM the dealer replaced the whole windshield washer system. Also reflashed the software suspected of causing the heater to stop blowing heat. Hopefully this fixes the issue. They said that when that talked with GM there were no reported instances of either of these issues.
Am curious if you are happy with the dealer? Perhaps it may be worthwhile to find another. You don't have to have it serviced where it was bought.

·
Registered
20 Posts
One thing that I have found more often is the dealership mechanics don't know how to fix these complicated, computer-controlled vehicles. In my opinion, you almost need a college degree to work on one since they're very complicated. If they don't understand logic and how all the systems inter-operate, they'll have a very hard time fixing your vehicle. I have found that some dealership mechanics will just "throw parts at the problem" (my friend was one so he told me the scoop) to do it quickly if they cannot replicate it. It cost them to troubleshoot, and because warranty work doesn't pay as much, they don't want to waste time figuring out the root cause of the issue. In addition, if they know they will "lose money" doing the repair (again, warranty work doesn't pay as much), they will say "cannot duplicate the concern at this time."

I had a dealership do this to me, saying they couldn't replicate the lost freon in my AC system on my Enclave. When I took it to the 2nd dealer, not only did they find the AC leaking, but they showed me a new part the first dealership put on (for another AC leak) that was all wrecked - they forced it on and ruined the part.

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
gig229 said:
One thing that I have found more often is the dealership mechanics don't know how to fix these complicated, computer-controlled vehicles. In my opinion, you almost need a college degree to work on one since they're very complicated. If they don't understand logic and how all the systems inter-operate, they'll have a very hard time fixing your vehicle. I have found that some dealership mechanics will just "throw parts at the problem" (my friend was one so he told me the scoop) to do it quickly if they cannot replicate it. It cost them to troubleshoot, and because warranty work doesn't pay as much, they don't want to waste time figuring out the root cause of the issue. In addition, if they know they will "lose money" doing the repair (again, warranty work doesn't pay as much), they will say "cannot duplicate the concern at this time."

I had a dealership do this to me, saying they couldn't replicate the lost freon in my AC system on my Enclave. When I took it to the 2nd dealer, not only did they find the AC leaking, but they showed me a new part the first dealership put on (for another AC leak) that was all wrecked - they forced it on and ruined the part.
I would ba happy to look into this for you. Please feel free to contact me with more information. Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
I hate "We can't replicate the problem" or "our gages don't indicate a problem" answer.

I keep getting that with the excessive fuel in my oil. It's testing out now as 10%, but of course GM doesn't see a problem. My dealer ackowledged the problem now that he has had his own UOA done, also showing high levels of fuel - not as much as my analyst showed though. He said now he has to fight corp. to do something.

Unfortunately it's a machine and machines go bad - not all of them (except Yugo's -lol). Anything mass produced by bored assemblers will have problems. That's life.

Until I bought this Terrain I have never had a major problem with any of my vehicles in the last 50 years. If I ever get another car, I will buy a completely frame up restored 50's or 60's car. At least you can work on them very easily. Yes you will have shorter maintainence intervals but not the headaches - and - those cars were FUN to drive.

One thing I will never buy again is a DI engine car, even if I have to buy an older model. Thankfully at my age there won't be that many more cars to buy.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Chevrolet Customer Svc said:
I would ba happy to look into this for you. Please feel free to contact me with more information. Thank you in advance.

Tricia, thanks. However, my car (09 Enclave) is now fixed (this was about 8 months ago). I was fortunate that the 2nd dealership I took it to gave me excellent customer service. The thoroughly diagnosed the problem and fixed it right. I now only take my car to them for service.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Just an update for other Terrainers. I have not had an issue with the Defrost Heat going out or the windshield washer since the dealer’s actions. If an issue comes back up I will be sure to update the thread. Hopefully if someone else has either of these issues they will have an easier time getting it corrected that I did knowing that someone else had the same issues.

BTW on the windshield washer thing, the service manager said there was some bearing or something that moved back and forth that sent washer fluid to the back or front of the car. His suspicion is that the mechanism was getting stuck. We have not had an extremely cold and snowy day here in Ohio so the fix new system they put in is not fully tested yet. Hopefully it will hold up.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts