GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So here's the deal. I found out about the terrain last year and decided that that car "IS MINE". So what do I want? Obviously I want it EXACTLY the way I want it. Conveniently, my parents agree to buy it for me for use in college, so I'm good to go. Now then, I've been waiting at least 3 months for this thing to come in (2011 model) and now that it finally has come in I get a wonderful suprise.. It's NOT EXACTLY what I want.

Basically I thought SLT-1 would pretty much look the same as SLT-2 (Chrome Appearance Package) but no, I see now that there's barely any chrome on the exterior at all. Also I thought a sunroof would be standard, but no. Again, only for SLT-2.

Jeez. I really thought I would get my absolute perfect car, finally, but I guees not. Good thing is those two are pretty much the only problems I have with my order. Everything else is perfect.

So, my question to you guys is: Is there way I can remedy my lack of (Official GMC) chrome exterior appearance and sunroof problem without having to order an entire new car (again)?

·
Registered
75 Posts
I have an SLT-1 with the nav system, I am very happy with it, don't miss the chrome, and don't have the sun roof or power lift gate, The sun roof I wouldn't use that often, and I live in southern california, I've had cars with in the past, its nice, but not required, with the money I didn't spend on the slt-2 I used that for the Nav system, it has a great Iphone interface, its definatly worth it for me.

You could go aftermarket for your sunroof, I assume it would cost more than what ordering costs...

·
Registered
468 Posts
The chrome pieces you can buy from direct sources, ie: dealer, ebay, gmpartsdirect. For the sunroof there is an option too... http://www.thepluspackage.com/ its a custom leather interior from katzkin and also a sunroof made by webasto for a total of $2995 installed. I have 0 experience with either company but I know katzkin been around for some time now.

·
Registered
10,413 Posts
Why not search other dealers lots, online, and see if you can find something closer to what you WANT. Otherwise, you will regret it everytime you get into the car. Hopefully, you're going to have it for a long time, why not get what you WANT.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Did you drive it off the lot?? Ie is it yours now?

If so (facepalm), but since your parents are nice enough to buy you a $40K (or $30K if you are in the US) vehicle, maybe they'll also be willing to absorb the difference (and depreciation) if you trade it for the one you should have been smart enough to order the first place.

There's a life lesson here... you assumed waaaay too much and you know how the saying goes, when you ASSUME something...

·
Registered
303 Posts
I suggest you enjoy the Terrain your parents were kind enough to provide. Besides, after a few weeks at college you'll have much more fun and things to think about than the chrome on your new car. I've had a sunroof on my vehicles since the 80s and rarely ever used it. I'm finally glad that we had the option not to have one on our SLT-1.

·
Registered
635 Posts
You did not screw up, your salesperson did. Didn't you go option by option and say yea or nay? Didn't he or she explain each trim level and what was included?

If I was to order again I would skip the sunroof, chrome package and add the power lift gate.

(It's sounds like sunroof is a good option for keeping headliner fastened!) ;D

·
Registered
698 Posts
^ Come on... it's silly to rely on others when such an expensive item is at stake. People should really take ownership...

·
Registered
635 Posts
Terrain said:
^ Come on... it's silly to rely on others when such an expensive item is at stake. People should really take ownership...
sh...don't tell Banry..I'm trying to make him feel better...I obsessed over every option for months when putting in my order and even tried to change some things! ::)

·
Registered
170 Posts
Don't worry, cancel that and go somewhere else.. Believe me, that Terrain will sell in no time.
Why putting up with something you didn't want ? You're paying a lot of money, get what YOU want.

Best luck!

·
Registered
63 Posts
DavidPJ said:
I suggest you enjoy the Terrain your parents were kind enough to provide.
Seriously. When I was in undergrad I drove around in a '94 Cavalier which at the time I felt VERY fortunate to have. I never would have dreamed of being hung up on some chrome or a sunroof at that point in my life. Enjoy the car that's being provided for you, and don't forget to say "thank you".

·
Registered
468 Posts
ScarletSpeedstr said:
Seriously. When I was in undergrad I drove around in a '94 Cavalier which at the time I felt VERY fortunate to have. I never would have dreamed of being hung up on some chrome or a sunroof at that point in my life. Enjoy the car that's being provided for you, and don't forget to say "thank you".
Lucky! I had a 79 Monte Carlo that I purchased for $200. It would be easier for me to name the parts of the car that didnt have to be fixed/replaced rather then what was broken on it.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Poor baby, we all feel for your unfortunate situation!

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Enough guys. Seriously.

I agree with Roesterman's first post. It does suck that you didnt get what you wanted but you still did get something sweet! Personally, I dont like the chrome package unless its on white because its a a lot on the car already.

M

·
0 Posts
Waaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, my mommy and daddy bought me a brand new SUV worth thousands and thousands of dollars....and all I have to do in return is go to school (which I bet they're forking out the money for as well).......but the F-r's fogot to get me the sunroof and chrome package......Wahhhhhhhhhh. And this is the next up and coming generation that we have to look forward too!

So answer to your question... accept your lavish gift with grace....say thank you...go to school and get educated...so that one day you can make all kinds of money and buy your own vehicle...just the way you want it.

·
Registered
468 Posts
mmarges said:
Waaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, my mommy and daddy bought me a brand new SUV worth thousands and thousands of dollars....and all I have to do in return is go to school (which I bet they're forking out the money for as well).......but the F-r's fogot to get me the sunroof and chrome package......Wahhhhhhhhhh. And this is the next up and coming generation that we have to look forward too!

So answer to your question... accept your lavish gift with grace....say thank you...go to school and get educated...so that one day you can make all kinds of money and buy your own vehicle...just the way you want it.
Lets not make fun of the boy. While I agree that he is a very lucky boy we do not know the income his parents bring in. Maybe the deal was for him to use at college and when he is not at college he cannot use it. For all we know his last name could be among the Trumps, Gates, etc, etc so this would be a drop in the bucket where we have to work hard. The blame is not how the boy acts but how the boy was raised.

·
Registered
698 Posts
lol it's tough to have a bleeding heart for a case like this kid's... although we all want better for our kids than we had. Maybe someday I'll be able to buy my kids an SUV for college - not bloody likely lol.

My thing is that regardless of who was paying for it, he should have made absolutely sure he was getting what I wanted. Taking ownership - that's my biggest beef with this guy.

I had a couple of college students working for me this past summer and boy, were they lazy. Something's missing with the latest generation and I can't quite put my finger on it... can't be good for our civilization as a whole though. I'm sure my dad's generation said the same about mine.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
mmarges said:

Nice.

As much as I hate you for posting this, you are absolutely correct. First of all, I DO remember why I got my car this way. My parents aren't the kind of people that can just fork over a ton of money on a dime, so this car is the car I'll be driving for QUITE awhile, and that's why I'm so picky about it. That said, however, I did realize that the Terrain was perfect for me; but I didn't want to put SO much of a burden on my parents, financially (even though they told me I could get what I wanted). At the time, I wasn't thinking too much about the chrome anyway. So, the pretty pictures of the GMC Terrain on the official website convinced me that all SLT's came with the chrome appearance package. Back then, I was thinking more about the important stuff I really wanted: Nav system, the fuel efficiency to save on gas money, the heated leather seats for comfortability in the University's slightly cooler weather, etc.. Besides that, I considered all the options. I actually didn't want to spend the extra money on the sunroof, I'm not lazy enough for the power liftgate, and because I intended the car to be for my own personal use, I pretty much said "screw the rear entertainment system".

So, I actually did get what I wanted. But, in hindsight, the little standard exterior differences that the SLT-2 offers, would have been very nice to have. :)

·
Registered
698 Posts
^ wow. You took that digital tongue-lashing quite well. Good for you.

I would have given up the goodies of the SLT-2 for the SLT-1 w/ sunroof if not for the memory seats. It's annoying that they bundle all of these options (rear park assist, memory seats, chrome stuff) with the top model.

Glad you will be your Terrain for a long time to come...

M

·
0 Posts
Don't worry about the small stuff like a sunroof and chrome. You have a nice new great vehicle that will last many years.

When I went to school I got (purchased myself) a $500 sh!t box (that 3 banger chevy sprint!). When I finished school I continued to drive the sh!tbox for an additional 4 years while a paid off $40k in student loans

You seem to be off to school with a great head start so my advice to you is be smart, do well, get your diploma and a good job.

PS. He did take that digital tongue-lashing pretty good...perhaps he's not so bad after all and we do have a glimmer of some hope in this next up comming generation.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts