GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I actually love the way the Terrain looks inside and out. The only issue that is keeping me from pulling the trigger is that I have heard that these Terrain's are in love with top gear and because of it do not have any power. Here is what all the review websites say;

1. Love with top gear. You have to put your foot through the firewall to get it going.
2. Horsepower & torque numbers are too far apart and it makes feel slower/less powerful that it really should be.
3. Really harsh over bumps.

I just wanted to get feedback on these three items. I want to buy a V6 SLT-1. I need it as a daily commuter and for towing two cruiser motorcycles.

Thanks guys and gals!

·
Registered
48 Posts
street-terrain said:
I actually love the way the Terrain looks inside and out. The only issue that is keeping me from pulling the trigger is that I have heard that these Terrain's are in love with top gear and because of it do not have any power. Here is what all the review websites say;

1. Love with top gear. You have to put your foot through the firewall to get it going.
2. Horsepower & torque numbers are too far apart and it makes feel slower/less powerful that it really should be.
3. Really harsh over bumps.

I just wanted to get feedback on these three items. I want to buy a V6 SLT-1. I need it as a daily commuter and for towing two cruiser motorcycles.

Thanks guys and gals!
I disagree with many who posted the power of the 4 cyl vs the 6cyl. I researched the terrain April 09 and took test drives in both the 4 and 6 with 18" and 19" wheels.

I don't comment much as there are anlot of opinions out here And in my opinion those who have the 4 stand by it and same for those who have the 19" wheels.

I could have ordered any combo but I did drive all combos and I can tell you there is a very noticible difference with 4cyl vs 6 cyl. The 6 has much better power. Go test drive both and get on your local highway, do some passing and picking up to move in front of another car or move from a truck!

Now do the same with 18 and 19" rims. There is less rubber on the 19" and u will feel the difference going over road imperfection.

So my advice if you are ordering and not forced to take what's on the lot (ifany) do a lot if test driving and don't take my word! But make sure you take a good long drive and feel the different scenerios out!

Good luck and let me know how you do!

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
For regular driving the I4 is plenty powerful as long as you stay in the SLE trims. For some reason they are 150-200lbs lighter than the SLT trims.

Throttle response is pretty good IMHO. Yes, you do have to give it some gas to get it to downshift but it should be that way. If you want to speed up a few MPH there is no need for the trans to downshift from 5th to 3rd.

We traded in an 09 Malibu on the Terrain and the Terrain feels WAY better than the Malibu. Granted, we have the 17" wheels so that might help some but the feel is much tighter than the Malibu for sure.

·
Registered
239 Posts
SobeTerrain said:
Now do the same with 18 and 19" rims. There is less rubber on the 19" and u will feel the difference going over road imperfection.
In many cases sidewall height makes a big difference, on the Terrain:
The 18" wheels come with rubber that has a sidewall height that it 55% of the 235mm treadwidth(235/55R18)
The 19" wheels come with rubber that has a sidewall height that is 55% of the 235mm treadwidth(235/55R19)

As those tires have the exact same sidewall height, I think we can safely rule out "more or less rubber" as being the reason for the difference in preceived ride quality.

·
Registered
265 Posts
I have a I4 SLT-2..I drove both the 4 and 6 before I ordered the 4...I have no problems at all so far both in highway and local driving...One of the most comfortable and smootest driving SUVs I have ever bought..To each is own I guess..I am not a pedal to the metal kinda guy but when I wanna pass it does do the job.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
GMCdriver said:
In many cases sidewall height makes a big difference, on the Terrain:
The 18" wheels come with rubber that has a sidewall height that it 55% of the 235mm treadwidth(235/55R18)
The 19" wheels come with rubber that has a sidewall height that is 55% of the 235mm treadwidth(235/55R19)

As those tires have the exact same sidewall height, I think we can safely rule out "more or less rubber" as being the reason for the difference in preceived ride quality.
55% of 18" is a different number than 55% of 19". Granted, it's small difference, but the 19" does have more sidewall when you do the math.

·
Registered
10,099 Posts
The 55 number is the percentage that the ride height of the tire is to the rubber width - in this case they are both 235 mm wide, so they both have the same rubber height (.55 * 235 mm) . The Wheel Diameter 18" versus the 19" has nothing to do with the tire except the "hole" inside the tire.

·
Registered
239 Posts
street-terrain said:
55% of 18" is a different number than 55% of 19". Granted, it's small difference, but the 19" does have more sidewall when you do the math.
Of course 55% of 19" is greater then 55% of 18" but that isn't how tires are actually measured so you are using the wrong numbers to do your math and reaching an incorrect conclusion.
The % showen in a tire measurment is a % of the tire's treadwidth and since both tires have a treadwidth of 235mm they would both have a sidewall height of 129mm.

·
Registered
60 Posts
bballr4567 said:
For regular driving the I4 is plenty powerful as long as you stay in the SLE trims. For some reason they are 150-200lbs lighter than the SLT trims.

Throttle response is pretty good IMHO. Yes, you do have to give it some gas to get it to downshift but it should be that way. If you want to speed up a few MPH there is no need for the trans to downshift from 5th to 3rd.

We traded in an 09 Malibu on the Terrain and the Terrain feels WAY better than the Malibu. Granted, we have the 17" wheels so that might help some but the feel is much tighter than the Malibu for sure.
There's only a 14 lb difference between SLE-1 and SLT-1.

http://www.gmc.com/terrain/terrain/specsCapabilities.jsp

·
Registered
48 Posts
street-terrain said:
Thanks for the advice. I will go test drive the 6. BTW SoBeTerrain are you in Miami Beach, FL?
Yes in Miami beach ! You near by?

·
Registered
10,099 Posts
You can drive my 4 cyl in Leesburg this week !

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
SobeTerrain said:
Yes in Miami beach ! You near by?
I'm in Pembroke Pines, FL. I am in SW Broward just 40 mins from you. I was on Brickell Ave a few days ago checking out a buddy's new apartment. How do you like you Terrain? 4 or 6? Why did you choose a Terrain if you don't mind me asking.

·
Registered
48 Posts
street-terrain said:
I'm in Pembroke Pines, FL. I am in SW Broward just 40 mins from you. I was on Brickell Ave a few days ago checking out a buddy's new apartment. How do you like you Terrain? 4 or 6? Why did you choose a Terrain if you don't mind me asking.
not far! I actually purchased at Sheehan in light house point. If you want I'll give u sales guy name. Very helpful honest group. Although brickell was closer I did not like the way they operate. Email me and I'll give u my number and I can explain more. To much too type here! [email protected]. Just put terrain in subject!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts