GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Title says it all. When in Eco mode the drive of the car is bad. Seems to accelerate unsmoothly (torque converter lockup) and shifts much more.
I have pretty much said I will use it only on the highway and in the city if gas goes above $3.00 again. Until then its not worth loss in smoothnes / extra shifiting.

Thank gosh GM made this an a user configurable thing. If it was on all the time I would not like it at all!

Anyone else feel the same way or am I alone?

·
Registered
232 Posts
bocks said:
Title says it all. When in Eco mode the drive of the car is bad. Seems to accelerate unsmoothly (torque converter lockup) and shifts much more.
I have pretty much said I will use it only on the highway and in the city if gas goes above $3.00 again. Until then its not worth loss in smoothnes / extra shifiting.

Thank gosh GM made this an a user configurable thing. If it was on all the time I would not like it at all!

Other than the idle quality I dont really notice it much, I mean it can get a bit annoying but hey its user controlled and they do warn you in the manual how it will operate when on :)

·
Registered
635 Posts
bocks said:

I leave it off too.

·
Registered
265 Posts
I have had my Echo Mode on ever since i drove it away from the Dealer..Have almost 4000 miles on it and never had a problem..Sometimes if I give it thr gas too much it hesitates alittle but other than that am averaging about 26-27 MPG on the DIC and pretty close to that if I use the ole miles driven divided by gals put in..Thanks

·
Registered
22 Posts
I understand that when sales persons were demo driving the car, it was suggested that they not use ECO mode. I assume this is due to its erratic behaviour. I used it briefly when I demo drove a 4 cyl., not very impressed.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I have yet to try it on our Terrain. Of course, I hardly ever get the drive it as it's the 'wifes' car. But, like the comments here, I've also heard you either love it or hate it, or don't really notice if it's on or off. Everybodys own taste and driving experience, I guess.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I've had mine on since driving off the lot. The extra mile or two in MPG is worth it to me.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I like the idea of it. But it just affects driveabilty to much. With it on it feels underpowered and shifts erracticily.

With it off no complaints. Maybe on HWY driving it will be ok. but I dont think it makes much difference for MPG on the HWY.

·
Registered
446 Posts
I kinda like the shifting while in ECO mode. Seems smoother to me. Idle does go down, but barely noticable. I'd have your dealership check the programming to ensure that it's doing what it's supposed to do.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I've one from MD to FL twice with ECO on once and off once. I keep it on when in the highways, off otherwise. It made a difference on the trip and I still had plenty of passing power when I needed to get up to 80 mph on 95.

·
Registered
635 Posts
brisket_lover said:
I've one from MD to FL twice with ECO on once and off once. I keep it on when in the highways, off otherwise. It made a difference on the trip and I still had plenty of passing power when I needed to get up to 80 mph on 95.
It only helps MPG when city driving. It gives you overall 1 MPG more. Torque converter is locked up when highway driving anyway. Would be more useful if you only used it in city driving instead of the other way around.

·
Registered
105 Posts
That is what I originally thought then people said it only affects highway driving so I thought I'd try it.

·
Registered
85 Posts
It locks the TQ converter at a lower RPM therefore making it shift less and better for Highway travel (as long as you travel below 70mph).

·
Registered
635 Posts
Nukedog said:
It locks the TQ converter at a lower RPM therefore making it shift less and better for Highway travel (as long as you travel below 70mph).
Shouldn't be shifting on the highway. You should be in top gear.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Roesterman said:
Your vehicle does shift - when you go up and down hills. All cars always have and always do it is related to load vs available power. ;D

The ECO mode will actually hold the gear longer (maybe by line pressure to keep converter locked) before it downshifts. Trust me i have tried this experiment many times over the last few months. Also going on a 4000 mile road trip in July and will provide more info later if needed. :eek:

·
Registered
446 Posts
Roesterman said:
Must be flat where you live ;)

Very hilly around where I live, so ours shifts a lot on hills and stuff. No matter what speed.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Narg said:

Very hilly around where I live, so ours shifts a lot on hills and stuff. No matter what speed.
Heck even if very flat FL with the AC cranking any overpass causes a downshift. ECO just holds the lock up longer...

·
Registered
635 Posts
Narg said:

Yes pretty flat. There is the odd hill and one escarpment..no mountains!

·
Registered
265 Posts
Been on this Forum quite sum time..From Florida..If you do not like Eco Mode just turn it off..Many people here Bitch too much..You should have taken a extensive ride in the Terrain before buying..The salesman let me take both a 4 and 6 out of the lot and drove them so far I got lost trying to look at everything..see the differences in both 4 and 6..accelerating power etc..I chose the 4 and so far very satisfied..No problems(knock on wood)...Runs and is way more roomy than my Rav4 and gets better MPG...Thanks

I know it is your right to complain about things regarding Terrain..Sorry..Just venting I guess and feel sorry for ppl having their problems with Terrain

·
Registered
182 Posts
Personally, I've been using ECO about 98% of the time from day 1, and I like it. I've more than gotten used to how it drives, and to me it's just feels normal. When I turn ECO off, I actually think it makes the engine a little more jerky. But then again, that's because I'm used to the characteristics of ECO, and how it numbs the throttle a bit. Plus, since the I4 is so torquey down low, I prefer to have the tranny keep it in as high a gear as possible to keep the revs low.

Just my 2 cents.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts