GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The rims, that is…. I actually ordered my new 2011 Terrain yesterday. But here is my dilemma – I hate GMC’s rims; especially the chrome clad ones. Sorry to all of you that have them. I just never liked chrome rims on any car. So, I ordered my Terrain with the base rim/tire combination with the intent on swapping them out with OEM rims. My wife thinks I’m nuts. She sees rims as, a rim is a rim is a rim….. She just doesn’t understand that the wheels “make the car”. I also want at least a 19” tire. Again, my wife sees no difference between an 18” and 19” tire.

So here is what I’m thinking:
A) Order the standard 18” rim, buy a 19” OEM rim and 19” tires and slap the tires on them. Unload the standard rim & tires somewhere.
B) Order the chrome clad rims for $900, buy a 19” OEM rim and move the tires on to the new rims. Unload the chrome clad rims somewhere.
C) Meet the wife ½ way – order the standard 18” rim, buy an 18” OEM rim and just use the tires that come with the Terrain. Unload the standard rims somewhere.

I think option C is the least expensive. Option B in essence means I’m buying 19” tires for only 900 dollars. Option A is the most expensive as I am buying tires at most likely a higher price than $900.
Any suggestions?
A few questions please:
1. What brand tires come with Terrains? I hope they are Michelins.
2. Any suggestions on websites for rims? I prefer shinny alum with thick spokes (like the Equinox has). (Easy to clean without ripping your finger nails off).
3. How should I get rid of the rime/tires that come with the Terrain?

Thanks!!!!
:)

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
robterrain said:
The rims, that is…. I actually ordered my new 2011 Terrain yesterday. But here is my dilemma – I hate GMC’s rims; especially the chrome clad ones. Sorry to all of you that have them. I just never liked chrome rims on any car. So, I ordered my Terrain with the base rim/tire combination with the intent on swapping them out with OEM rims. My wife thinks I’m nuts. She sees rims as, a rim is a rim is a rim….. She just doesn’t understand that the wheels “make the car”. I also want at least a 19” tire. Again, my wife sees no difference between an 18” and 19” tire.

So here is what I’m thinking:
A) Order the standard 18” rim, buy a 19” OEM rim and 19” tires and slap the tires on them. Unload the standard rim & tires somewhere.
B) Order the chrome clad rims for $900, buy a 19” OEM rim and move the tires on to the new rims. Unload the chrome clad rims somewhere.
C) Meet the wife ½ way – order the standard 18” rim, buy an 18” OEM rim and just use the tires that come with the Terrain. Unload the standard rims somewhere.

I think option C is the least expensive. Option B in essence means I’m buying 19” tires for only 900 dollars. Option A is the most expensive as I am buying tires at most likely a higher price than $900.
Any suggestions?
A few questions please:
1. What brand tires come with Terrains? I hope they are Michelins.
2. Any suggestions on websites for rims? I prefer shinny alum with thick spokes (like the Equinox has). (Easy to clean without ripping your finger nails off).
3. How should I get rid of the rime/tires that come with the Terrain?

Thanks!!!!
:)
Kinda lost me there...Isn't a OEM(original equipment mfg.)rim the rim your getting? or are you thinking about buying an aftermarket rim?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Ok reading and rereading and rerereading your post. The terrain base line rim for a 4 cyl is the 17" for the 6 cyl you have to get the 18". The 4 cyl
can upgrade to the 18" or the chrome 19" while the 6 cyl has to have the 18" or upgrade to the chrome 19". Correct me if im wrong but this is what
i was told when I was building it on the GMC website. Anywho You said you want a 19's on the terrain. Im with you I hate chrome thats the reason
my avalanche is all blacked out. Heres my suggestion
Buy the chrome 19", Buy the 19" you want, then swap tires & TPMS (tire pressure monitor system) to your preferred 19" saving you the mula
on having to buy that if you would have gone with 17 or 18. Then turn around and sell you GMC chrome rims here lower than $900 bucks of course
cus no tires & TPMS. Surly thet will sell fast.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
I have to say I agree with you on the wheel choices for both the Terrain and the Equinox. The only style I really like is the base 17" Nox wheel which is what I have...and if the same style was offered in 18"-19" I might have gone for that. I don't know about the tires on the 18"-19" wheels, but the 17' comes with Michelin Latitude Tour tires which are very good and not exactly cheap...I would expect the larger wheels have something of similar quality. If I were you I would do option C....some people claim the 19" wheel/tire combo hurts the ride quality too much.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Lucky19 & NoobNox:

Sorry for the winded post. I guess it was lenghty. Anyway great suggestions. But now a monkey wrench.....the 19's don't ride as nice as 18's???? :mad: Dang it, decisions decisions decisions!

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
robterrain said:
Lucky19 & NoobNox:

Sorry for the winded post. I guess it was lenghty. Anyway great suggestions. But now a monkey wrench.....the 19's don't ride as nice as 18's???? :mad: Dang it, decisions decisions decisions!
Everyone has a different opinion about the ride quality of the 19" wheels, I've seen professional reviews and user reports that say the larger wheels make the ride borderline harsh...but then I've seen people post here that it really isn't that bad. Just keep in mind that the suspension on the Terrain/Nox is very firm to maintain good handling and towing capability...and lower profile tires are just going to add to that a bit.

·
Registered
830 Posts
I am running 19" and i think they run really well. The Terrain is handling like a car ! Run almost better than my 06 Maxima.

robterrain said:
Lucky19 & NoobNox:

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Regarding the TPMS:

The site that has the rims I'm interested in (Tire Rack.com) has some kind of a note for all their rims basically indicating that unless you buy their TPMS and install them on their rims, they may not work and you'll get some kind of yellow light on the display. So, in this case can I just remove the TPMS from the factory rims and put them on the new rims? If so, how difficult it that?

Sorry, all this TPMS stuff is new to me.

Thanks.

·
Registered
48 Posts
robterrain said:
Regarding the TPMS:

The site that has the rims I'm interested in (Tire Rack.com) has some kind of a note for all their rims basically indicating that unless you buy their TPMS and install them on their rims, they may not work and you'll get some kind of yellow light on the display. So, in this case can I just remove the TPMS from the factory rims and put them on the new rims? If so, how difficult it that?

Sorry, all this TPMS stuff is new to me.

Thanks.
Not difficult at all if the tech doing the rim swap knows what their doing (which he/she should). The only thing I can think is if the rim design is different like rims on my truck, they were an old style rim and I couldnt install them so I ride around with the yellow light on my truck. But I think the new rims now adays accept the sensors.

·
Registered
483 Posts
SuperMat64 said:
I am running 19" and i think they run really well. The Terrain is handling like a car ! Run almost better than my 06 Maxima.

[/quote

I agree. I have the 19" wheels and I don't find the ride harsh at all. I'm sure they ride a little rougher than the 17" or 18" but it rides fine to me and my wife. Only way to tell for sure is to drive several back to back with the different wheels and decide for yourself.

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
Black Granite LTZ said:
SuperMat64 said:

[/quote

I agree. I have the 19" wheels and I don't find the ride harsh at all. I'm sure they ride a little rougher than the 17" or 18" but it rides fine to me and my wife. Only way to tell for sure is to drive several back to back with the different wheels and decide for yourself.

plus 2[/color]

·
Registered
64 Posts
I heard the larger tires make for a rougher ride.

·
Registered
170 Posts
You must really hate your the clad wheels as much as the money in your wallet!

Be prepared loose money. Those OEM wheels never go for more than 50% as nobody buys OEM wheels..

My advise, stick what you paid and was included in the Terrain and look the other way.. then buy something nice to your wife. That'll give you lovin' points..
How's that for ROI? ;-)

robterrain said:

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
That it great advice...... ;)

However, I did get something nice for her - the Terrain. She's driving it 90% of the time. She picked the interrior. She picked the color. I told her I'm picking the freakn wheels!

By the way, anyone ever hear of Sport Edition wheels - good or bad? They have a set I may be interested in.

Thanks.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Hey Rob,

Who knew? Got my 2011 nox in November. decided I wanted the bigger wheels. my nox is a 4 banger. my husband just ordered 19" oem wheels and tires. I had no idea there would be a difference in the ride. Are you experiencing a rough ride? are you happy with the decision to go with the 19"? ps. would love to see how those puppies look on your nox.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Hi, just put the 19" oem chrome wheels on my black beauty. No difference in the ride that I can tell. And.....they look beautiful. Love the bling...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts