GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

41 - 54 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
5,550 Posts
I had a Silver TL and it had the same shade shift on the bumpers. In all fairness, this is a common issue across many cars due to the flex additives in the paint in the bumpers. It happens to show up really bad on white or silver cars.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The real problem for paint shade differences, especially in bumper fascias, is that the fascias are supplied and painted by a separate vendor. . . not GM and shipped to the assembly plants. Meanwhile, the body and associated panels, hood, etc are done in the assembly line paint shop. You can thank outsourcing for that.

Now, with computer paint code matching, the colors are supposed to be able to be matched exactly. But as many know, especially with certain colors and metallic paints, the shading can vary significantly between paint batches and mixes and even angle of application by the sprayer or type of sprayer used.

If the bumper fascias were painted in house like they used to be, the same paint would be applied as on the body and color and shading mismatches would be much less likely.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Color match on my fleet is good.
In fact the GM color matched splash guards I put on my '20 Traverse are a spot on. No blemishes on their silver metallic paint either to my surprise.
As far as Honda's , my best friends wife's '18 CRV has a bad transfer case. Under 50k miles on it, so all those cars in back of the dealership are not just there for oil changes. Another buddy is a parts guy at a Acura dealer, he's always busy at work...

·
Registered
2011 Equinox 1LT V6 3.0L
3,820 Posts
Reread your post. Maybe several times.

I stand by every word I wrote. Do you?
If this is directed toward me ... yeah ... I stand by what I said ... absolutely!

And I'm speaking hypothetically (now) ... because it appears these wiper elbows (or rivets) are made out of metal, but are simply (and prematurely) rotting away due to a bad "water runoff" design. That's not nearly as bad as using plastic rivets or joints on the wiper mechanism (as was originally purported).

So I'll keep it simple here: "You cannot use plastic pieces on moving parts in a safety-related application". How's that?

I think that's common sense.

And any GM (or other automobile manufacturer) employee who approves such an application should be removed from their job.

·
Registered
609 Posts
The bushings are nylon, maybe they used it in order to keep the wipers quiet. Metal on metal might make some noise. Also the wiper motors are super powerful maybe they designed them to fail for safety like rather than hurting whatever is on the windshield they are designed to pop apart. Like if the wiper was froze to the windshield rather than breaking the windshield it breaks the bushing inside the wipers.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Hate comments like this. This is like we all know Toyota makes some of the most reliable vehicles but you have one person that says Camry sucks because the engine blew up. I would still buy one. The wife has bought multiple Honda's over 20 years since she leases them. I have seen the quality starting to go down. Every since the 2018 oil dilution issue. I'm in the Honda forums too, the grass is not always green on the other side.

·
Registered
2 Posts
The windshield wiper issue is covered by GM under a special coverage campaign for 10yrs/150,000 miles. The dealer would have repaired this for you for free. GM knows this is a problem and is offering a solution to their customers.

Trouble is the wipers fail when you most need them. Mine failed in a blinding down pour on a state highway. Didn't get killed thank God. Makes no difference that I was eventually reimbured if I was dead. No warning either, not like brakes. Wipers are one item that should be fail safe. Another product designed by a bean counter.

·
Registered
10,525 Posts
It would be nice if most of the parts on a car were failsafe, but most customers buy on initial cost, and don't consider life-cycle cost.

·
Registered
4 Posts
LOL all those Honda's parked in the back of the dealer are just there for oil changes.
Buddy's '18 CRV transfer case is toast at 40k miles. He's lucky he got the extended warranty. I'll take a cheap easy wiper fix over a transfer case any day.

This list says otherwise.

Here is Consumer Reports' ranking of the major automotive brands, according to their average reliability score:
  1. Mazda (83)
  2. Toyota (74)
  3. Lexus (71)
  4. Buick (70)
  5. Honda (63)
  6. Hyundai (62)
  7. Ram (58)
  8. Subaru (57)
  9. Porsche (55)
  10. Dodge (54)
  11. Infiniti (54)
  12. BMW (52)
  13. Nissan (51)
  14. Audi (46)
  15. Kia (45)
  16. GMC (43)
  17. Chevrolet (42)
  18. Volvo (41)
  19. Jeep (41)
  20. Mercedes-Benz (40)
  21. Cadillac (38)
  22. Ford (38)
  23. Mini (37)
  24. Volkswagen (36)
  25. Tesla (29)
  26. Lincoln (8)

·
Registered
75 Posts
Wall Street has two business models for large manufacturing companies.

1. When times are tough (losing money), companies must cut costs, close plants, reduce workforce, etc. to keep the share price from cratering.

2. When times are good, companies must again cut costs, reduce workforce, etc. because you never know when the tough times will return.

So anyone who has a 401K or IRA, congratulations, you are part of the problem.

Cutting costs is fact of life. It has to be done well, but it has to be done. Singling out the small number that may not have been out of the thousands you never notice, start shouting about heartless beancounters, engineers who should be fired is simply ignorant.

I take that back. I'm sure all of the advocates of capital punishment for product failures have never made a mistake themselves.

Reactions: Silversn95

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Consumer Reports 🤣🤣
46 yrs as a onsite repair tech. and CR recommendations is like reading the comics. Best in class today is a don't touch it the next year or two down the road.
Wash, rinse, repeat time after time when reading that rag no matter what they rate because it's 1-2 yr old feedback from brand loyalist's when it come to vehicles. Especially as that ''crew'' are vehicle lease people, not 100k + mile folks.
BMW and Porsche in the top 12 for reliability, maybe for 36k miles but everyone knows you unload those before they need the first brake job.

·
Registered
167 Posts
feedback from brand loyalist's when it come to vehicles
I believe that's true as well, and place zero credibilty in CRs auto rankings. Many years ago I was car pooling in a co-worker's car. It was a smallish Toyota something-or-other that I don't recall (Tercel maybe?). The car was just five years old, yet the headliner was falling down and reverse gear (manual transmission) was completely gone. One day while riding to work the timing belt broke, and with a zero clearance valve design the engine in an instant became a large paperweight.

Despite all of that my co-worker was quick to proclain how great Toyota's were, especially his car. Never any serious problems. Yet when the alternator died on the 10 year old Buick that his family inherited from his grandmother, he was equally quick to proclaim that GM vehicles were total junk because because something as simple as an alternator shouldn't die that soon. Blinded by brand loyaltly too much? You decide.

Reactions: christopherlompoc

·
Registered
188 Posts
This list says otherwise.

Here is Consumer Reports' ranking of the major automotive brands, according to their average reliability score:
  1. Mazda (83)
  2. Toyota (74)
  3. Lexus (71)
  4. Buick (70)
  5. Honda (63)
  6. Hyundai (62)
  7. Ram (58)
  8. Subaru (57)
  9. Porsche (55)
  10. Dodge (54)
  11. Infiniti (54)
  12. BMW (52)
  13. Nissan (51)
  14. Audi (46)
  15. Kia (45)
  16. GMC (43)
  17. Chevrolet (42)
  18. Volvo (41)
  19. Jeep (41)
  20. Mercedes-Benz (40)
  21. Cadillac (38)
  22. Ford (38)
  23. Mini (37)
  24. Volkswagen (36)
  25. Tesla (29)
  26. Lincoln (8)
That list is rubbish based on this statement in the article.
------------------------------------
The Consumer Reports rankings reflect the magazine's predictions of 2021 model-year reliability based on an assessment of recent vehicle performance data reported by more than 300,000 car owners
------------------------------------

The auto industry sells upwards of 16 million cars a year and CR only reviewed data from 300,000 owners! How would there be any accuracy in this list based on less than 2% of the volume of cars produced.
Everyone can only rely on their own experiences to decide on what to spend their hard earned money on and based on my, and my families experiences we pretty much took Toyota off the list of future purchases. My experience with a Rav4 was bad enough but it pales to what my sister and mother are going through with their Toyotas ('11 Sienna, '06 Rav4).

41 - 54 of 54 Posts