GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, I just purchased an 04 SRX Pearl White with the V8 northstar engine 48,000 miles. I have had the car about 2 months now and just yesterday noticed a slight humm coming from the rear of the car. The noise starts @ about 30 mpg and goes on from there. I am guessing that this may be my right rear tire making the noise but my question is could it be something else back there? Its wierd that it would just come out of nowhere like this. I am mechanically inclined so if you have any ideas i would love to hear them. This is my first cadillac so i am not too familiar with them but am eager to find out.

Love the SRX!

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
OK well 51 views and no response....I have some time this weekend. Going to pull off the main tire and throw on the spare and see if that rights the hummmmm noise im hearing. If not my next thought is the wheel bearing. Thoughts?

·
Registered
482 Posts
I would be thinking wheel bearing. Does tone of humm change with increased or decreased speed, or perhaps when going over a rise/bump in road?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The humm does change pitch loudest @ 25mph and gone @ 60mph. it also completely goes away in a medium right hand turn @ speed......thoughts?

·
Registered
482 Posts
Wheel bearing. If you jacked up one side and grabbed the tire on both sides and wiggled it back and forth, then tried the other side it may give you an idea on which ones bad (the one that has the most play in it), but themn again maybe not.

·
Registered
10,548 Posts
Also, as you "load" a wheel bearing, a bad bearing will increase in noise. If it louder with a right-hand turn, it is probably the right side bearing.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ok so I tried the spare tire and I believe your right that its the wheel bearing. Is this a job that i should only have done @ a cadillac dealer or can any shop handle the job? Any idea of the cost of this job?

Thanks!

·
Registered
10,548 Posts
jacob9582 said:
ok so I tried the spare tire and I believe your right that its the wheel bearing. Is this a job that i should only have done @ a cadillac dealer or can any shop handle the job? Any idea of the cost of this job?

Thanks!
Any reputable shop should be able to handle. About 1 hr., and not sure of the part's price.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts