GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Long time lurker, first time poster!
I would first like to thank everyone on here for the information I gleaned before purchasing my 1 owner 2013 (post July built) Equinox with 86k on the od! I've had it 3 mos. now and have done my first oil change at 3500 miles because I wasn't sure what oil was in it, pretty sure it was synthetic blend. Sent off a sample to BSL and the fuel in the oil has me slightly concerned, 3%.
My question is does the HPFP just "blow out" or start leaking slowly and get worse? Any data points on this? I have every service record from the previous owner and everything was done at GM dealership except for the oil change from where I purchased it, synthetic every 5k. I believe everything else looks good on my report.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,203 Posts
What are your drives likes every day. How long distance and time wise.

·
Registered
5,203 Posts
Normally the short drives lead to moisture build up in the oil.
Though the Direct injection engines are known to beat up oil- via fuel dilution.
I remember the 09/10 Traverse/Acadias/Enclaves.... owners having used oil analysis done. They were finding that they had fuel dilution.
Most did indeed have short drives. It was made worse in areas where winters are cold. This is where many decided to change oil more often.
I would suggest that you take some long drives to help burn off moisture and fuel. Could make the difference.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the advice. According to my analysis there was 0% moisture in my oil. I'm mostly concerned about the 3% fuel. If that's average/normal for short trip/in town driving or if I may have a leaking HPFP.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Honda's have had a fuel dilution issues for a few years, along with law suits in 1.5 motors.

·
Registered
2010 chevy equinox 2.4
851 Posts
When they fail it's not usually a drop at a time, 3% would not alarm me at 3500 miles. They usually blow and people notice there oil level actually rises and smells like gas. There are low friction/ tension piston rings in these motors.

·
Registered
135 Posts
While 3 percent fuel dilution is nothing to worry about I don't agree with 5,000 mile oil changes on a mostly short trip driving duty cycle, particularly if any cold weather is involved. I would recommend using the OLM and changing in the 30 to 35 percent range.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts