GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to figure out how to remove the door handle to add the chrome covers. I'm only as far as a T25 screwdriver. Thanks for the help

·
Registered
142 Posts
http://www.equinoxforum.net/index.php?topic=856.0

From what I have read on GMC Terrain / Equinox forums. It should take 5 - 10 min per door handle.
Pull the handles and use the Torx driver to losen the handle and it should just pop out.

No door panels need to be removed.
I am going with chrome covers and eventually get the chrome door handles. My Outlook has OEM chrome handles and I want the same for the Nox, but the cost is crazy. $32 for covers Vs $139 for the handles.

Update: There is a sheet metal screw holding the handle in place. It can only be seen when you pull the handle out to open the door. You need to loosen it and slide the door handle back then front.

Update: Ebay seller: freedomgmdodgejeepparts has them for $115.75 shipped. I'll just hold off purchasing the covers and get the actual handle.
JCarm75

·
Registered
142 Posts
If you have the chrome COVERS, just pull off the tape on the back of them and pop them on the original handles. No tools besides your hands are needed.

JCarm75

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
jcarm75 said:
If you have the chrome COVERS, just pull off the tape on the back of them and pop them on the original handles. No tools besides your hands are needed.

JCarm75
Warming the handles up with a hair dryer first cant hurt also clean off all wax etc with an alcohol pad

·
Registered
142 Posts
Quick Writeup

Update: There is a T25 (7mm socket) metal screw holding the stationary piece in place (if you are looking at the driver side front door handle. It is holding the piece where the key hole is, not the handle pull part). The screw can only be seen when you open the door and look on the opposite side (behind, inside door area, on my Outlook, it was covered with a black rubber plug, haven't looked at the Equinox, wife took it to work).

You need to remove the screw and the stationary piece will be loose on the other side(outside). Pull the handle(like you were opening the door) and remove the stationary piece. Let the door handle go back to its original position. Grab the handle and slide it toward where the stationary piece was (That is what holds the door pull handle in place, don't pull it out to open). It will pop from the back and just come off. Reverse the order and you will have your new chrome handles in place.

*** Use a magnitized tip to prevent the screw from falling into the door cavity :banghead: *** (did a quick writeup on the procedure from checking on my Outlook, which is supposed to have the same door handles, they are already chrome, but I decided to check on how to do it, before I regurgitated incomplete information)

Update: After looking at the NOX. There is a black plug covering the screw also.
Update: Was bored, so I added a photo with the basic steps to remove the door handles.

J.Carm75

Attachments

1 - 5 of 5 Posts