GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, I have Chevy equinox ls 2019. I live in a LA which has many bumpy roads, I was wondering how can I have more smooth ride with the vehicle, I tried to find after market suspension but I guess there is no market for modification to this vehicle?
thank you in advance!

·
Registered
278 Posts
IMHO you are wasting your time & $$$ sorry

·
Registered
184 Posts
What wheels/tires do you have on it now? If you have the standard 17" rims then there isn't much you can do.

·
Registered
184 Posts
What trim level do you have? the Nox came with 17", 18" and 19" wheels depending on trim level. The smaller the rim, the more sidewall you get in the tire=smoother ride. You would probably only notice it though if you currently have the 19" wheels.

·
Registered
278 Posts
JMHO we have 2007 Caddy and the Nox rides like a brick comparably. Again JMHO if you want a smoother ride I'd start with a different vehicle, something heavier. Perhaps the next size up SUV...traverse maybe

·
Registered
343 Posts
I love the way our terrain rides but no, it's not the smoothest vehicle I've ever owned. It feels sporty and go-cart ish Which I really like.. It's a nice change from our 02' buick regal LS which rides like a big boat.... FWIW, we have a 19' Denali with 19" wheels. I have winter wheels that are 17" and the ride is smoother with those but not that much.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Maine roads are plagued with frost that destroys road surfaces within 10 or less years. Frost lifts culverts which become speed bumps - often after the frost is out of the ground the culvert never returns to its former position.
Despite Maine's rough roads I find the '19 Redline a good riding car with its large wheels and small sidewalls - in my opinion. I have no complaints about the ride.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
JMHO we have 2007 Caddy and the Nox rides like a brick comparably. Again JMHO if you want a smoother ride I'd start with a different vehicle, something heavier. Perhaps the next size up SUV...traverse maybe
I've a '20 Traverse HC. No comparison in ride quality to my 'nox. Traverse has a nice ride. That shorter wheel base on the 'nox is the big difference compared to the Traverse not to mention cheaper vs more expensive vehicles. My 'nox has 18's and the Traverse has 20's also and you would think the 20's would ride harder but not the case.
Traded a '17 Continental in on the Traverse so I'm ride savvy.

Reactions: Crankme69

·
Registered
296 Posts
There isn’t much you can do. The stiff ride is my biggest complaint. I have the 18” wheels and went up a tire size to get more sidewall. It made a small improvement but not enough. Next time I need tires I plan to get a set of 17” wheels. I will probably try retrofitting the Denali shocks and spring isolators soon as well.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
I can vouch for wheel size, sidewall size specifically, can make a HUGE difference in ride harshness. My ‘15 Equinox came with 265/65/17’s, but I switched over to 245/45/20’s at just under 100 miles. I WANTED the sporty ride in my Equinox. However, on my Z28, I’ve been on 245/50/16, 275/40/17, 275/35/18, and 275/30/19 tires over the 20+ years I owned it and can vouch that the smaller the sidewall, the harsher the ride! I’m actually back down to 275/40/17’s on it now for the best combination of ride, traction, and handling. My point is, sidewall height makes all the difference IMO! Going down to a 17” wheel from an 18” wheel may not feel like a night and day difference, but you’d definitely feel a difference if you went from 19’s to 17’s!

·
Registered
2018 Equinox Premier 1.6 TD - totally loaded.
13 Posts
I have an 18 Nox AWD Diesel- the tires that came with it sucked- switched brands and mine rides really smooth. I’ve also done some upgrades- factory tow hitch added, side steps which add some weight.

·
Registered
547 Posts
The suspension on the gen 3 Equinox and Terrain is tuned a little on the sporty/harsh side vs the smooth luxury vehicle ride quality.

The wheel/tire size and the weight of the tire/wheel assembly is a big factor in ride quality.

The low profile tires on large diameter rims; especially if they are heavy, contributes to a harsher ride. The heavier combinations add un-sprung weight which then transfers more shock load to the chassis.

Not much there can be done to make a gen 3 ride smoothly except installing higher profile tires on smaller diameter wheels and reducing air pressure in the tires to the minimum allowable level.

Reactions: garagerog

·
Registered
147 Posts
1 - 16 of 16 Posts