GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought my 2013 Equinox LTZ used, and it only had one key/fob.
For reasons I won't go into here (everyone has their stories), I'd rather not go through the dealer to get a second one.

I can purchase a new 'flip key' fob online-- OEM, the correct model/code, etc., but it is an uncut blade.
The seller tells me that he CAN cut them too. Great!-- that is what I have been looking for-- someone with the newer key-cutting tool that is NOT a dealer.

He asked for my "key code". Is there a way I can easily find that out? Obviously I have my VIN.
Is there some lookup tool somewhere where I can find my "key code" based on the VIN?
Will a dealer give me my "key code", even if they know I have no intention of ordering anything from them, or having them do any work for me? (I know they SHOULD, but we all know how that works.)
(Add to this that I live in a rural area, and a trip to the nearest dealer is a 2-hour round trip.)

·
Registered
281 Posts
If that site doesn't work, (which I doubt, I wouldn't trust it) it has to be at a dealer. You have to bring the title or current registration and a valid ID to the dealer. And it has to be your name on the paperwork. I've seen places charge between $40-65 to pull key codes.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
If he's just cutting the key, all he should need is a key to copy. Check out youtube on how to program the remote. As long as you have a working key and remote, that's all he should need.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Follow-up--
I have the new fob, with uncut blade.
But the eBay seller who said he could cut the side-milled (is that the term we're using for these?) key now won't answer my messages.
(My guess is he said this before he realized it was a side-milled variety. OK, fine.)

I now also have my key code: [Edited]
The dealer gave my code to me with no hassles or charge. I did have to provide ID and Registration, and I appreciate the security reasons for that.
I did ask the parts desk what is involved for the dealer to do it... they ONLY sell the whole fob, pre-cut from GM. A.K.A: Big Buck$

FYI: I live one hour from any dealer.

I saw the video linked above on how to program, using the one working key+fob that I have. I also ran into that solution in another post here on the forum.

I am looking for ANY locksmith that will just do the cutting of the side-milled keys.[/color] I don't mind paying a little, but I don't want to pay the dealer price.
I also do not mind doing it by mail, across the country, if they come with a recommendation from someone here on the forum.
All I need is the cut blade, not the whole fob. I can swap out my blank blade with the cut blade. I would even provide my blank blade ahead of time, if that was needed by the cutter.

Can anyone recommend a non-dealer who can cut the side-milled blades given my key code? (Or is there a dealer on the forum here who will just do the cut only, for a reasonable price?)

·
Registered
10,567 Posts
ORCoastGuy said:
And so does everyone on this Forum. Good thing that we are all honest on this forum. BTW, where do you park, and do you have any valuables in your car that I may be interested in ? LOL

·
Registered
337 Posts
ORCoastGuy said:
I would not be sharing my key code publicly, you should remove that out of your post.

GM has a database in GM Global Connect where dealers can look up key codes, unless you are employee at a dealership that has access to it, there is no real good way to get it. Most dealers don't charge to look up key codes, it only takes a minute or two. You need to have good proof, that you own the vehicle. GM only sells the key with the remote, and not just the key by its self.

Find a lock smith and ask them if they can cut side milled keys, and then give them the key code and they should be able to cut it.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Well were gonna need a mod to fix that since everyone is quoting the code lol

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Looking for locksmith who cuts side-milled keys - 2013 Equinox LTZ

HFV6 said:
Find a lock smith and ask them if they can cut side milled keys, and then give them the key code and they should be able to cut it.
Yes, exactly. I am looking for recommendations on a locksmith who can cut a side-milled key, given my key code.
I don't mind dealing long-distance. Just want to avoid the dealer, who only deals with the whole fob. I live in a rural area. Anyone got experience or a website I should check out? I found one in Hawaii, but not much else so far, and would place some value on a recommendation coming from this forum.

·
Registered
10,567 Posts
A little thread hijacking, but my key fob just disintegrated this afternoon. Two of the buttons came out. Pretty cheaply made, IMHO. My Maxima Fob is over 17 years old, and still works fine.

I bought a blank case on EBay for $6.51 and will transfer the key and board into it.

·
Registered
5,602 Posts
Buy a new Maxima and see how long the remote lasts. .. ;D ;D

I was told that the "switch blade" key flipping open produces some repeated shock to the case and buttons. Also, not a good idea to have other keys on the fob or jammed in a pocket with coins or other stuff.

·
Registered
10,567 Posts
Also, not a good idea to have other keys on the fob or jammed in a pocket with coins or other stuff.

I'm sure that is my issue.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Did you get this figured out?

Any locksmith who has the right machine can TRACE your existing key so it will work in the ignition. any GM dealer can get you your key code. We charge 15 bucks. I would be wary about going anywhere other than the dealer to get key codes pulled. And yes you need to prove you are the owner of the vehicle before we can help. Otherwise anyone could get a keycode, from a vin on the street, get a key made and pop themselves right into your car. or worse if it has no theft system like older cars, they can snag the whole car... I won't go into how to program without an existing key/remote here now.

Also if you bought the vehicle new, you might have little tags on your keys with a Zxxxx (x's are numbers) and that is your code. also it os on original invoicing paperwork from GM to that dealership, which I dont think we get when you buy a new vehicle.

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
Mntegra01 said:
Also if you bought the vehicle new, you might have little tags on your keys with a Zxxxx (x's are numbers) and that is your code. also it os on original invoicing paperwork from GM to that dealership, which I dont think we get when you buy a new vehicle.
Thanks for that info.
I looked in the envelope of stuff that I got when I picked up my Nox.
In there I found a black plastic tag about 3" by 5/8" with a black plastic loop.
On one side is a white glued on tag with a bar code and a Z with 4 numbers.
I almost threw it out, never thought I would use it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Looking for locksmith who cuts side-milled keys - 2013 Equinox LTZ

Yes, exactly. I am looking for recommendations on a locksmith who can cut a side-milled key, given my key code.
I don't mind dealing long-distance. Just want to avoid the dealer, who only deals with the whole fob. I live in a rural area. Anyone got experience or a website I should check out? I found one in Hawaii, but not much else so far, and would place some value on a recommendation coming from this forum.
Which locksmith company you had called upon for a side milled key?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts