GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While driving today, the Tire Pressure Management warning screen lit up with the image of the car & '20' showing on the front right, 41 on the other 3 tires.
The front right now shows '17'.
It drove ok, tracked straight hands off & I checked the front right with a manual pressure gauge & it read '40'.

Assuming the TPM is giving a false reading, anyone had this before & can it be fixed without having to take it to a Dealer??
Thanks
LW4T
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,112 Posts
I wonder..
You may have to do the relearn procedure..
But if its acting up-- I wonder if it will be recognized on the relearn?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,772 Posts
I would have to agree with the previous post. I would recommend starting with the relearn procedure. This can be found in your owner's manual. If this does not seem to resolve the concern, I would recommend contacting your local dealership for more information. Please feel free to keep me posted.

Tricia, GM Customer Service.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
176 Posts
This seems to be a reoccuring issue with the TPS. My 99 Buick had a similiar feature, but just flashed low tire pressure. I had to manually check each tire to see which, if any was low.

To me it looks like an add on feature just to make the cars more complex than is necessary. As an old guy, I learned to drive when there were no seat belts, no traction control, no ABS brakes, no power steering, no air bags or power brakes.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
978 Posts
Old Lar said:
To me it looks like an add on feature just to make the cars more complex than is necessary.
IIRC their introduction became mandatory in Model year 2007 in the USA...
and even though certain models had them in previous years...it's not like it was the Manufacturers concept.
Also...IIRC, there have been waaaaaaaaaaay too many accidents related to underinflation which was the foundation for the mandatory introduction.

But I understand your point.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,496 Posts
Old Lar said:
This seems to be a reoccuring issue with the TPS. My 99 Buick had a similiar feature, but just flashed low tire pressure. I had to manually check each tire to see which, if any was low.

To me it looks like an add on feature just to make the cars more complex than is necessary. As an old guy, I learned to drive when there were no seat belts, no traction control, no ABS brakes, no power steering, no air bags or power brakes.
Sometimes complexity is good. Would you want to go back to the days of points/condensor and carburetors ? Not me !
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
157 Posts
Old Lar said:
This seems to be a reoccuring issue with the TPS. My 99 Buick had a similiar feature, but just flashed low tire pressure. I had to manually check each tire to see which, if any was low.
The older GM systems were based on the ABS braking system - the system looked for a difference in rotation speed of the tire or tires which would indicate a low tire pressure. It was simpler and less expensive than the current system - but it wasn't as detailed.

GM had been using the ABS based system since the mid 90's.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
931 Posts
RIT333 said:
Sometimes complexity is good. Would you want to go back to the days of points/condensor and carburetors ? Not me !
Well..probably not. Got my first car while a Senior in HighSchool (1965)..and things have certainly progressed from those days. However...up until this new Equinox..I had never went with an extended warrenty...but after considering all of the electronics...computer controlled 'everything'...reflash..rehash..reprogram..redo..update..all the complexities that may be involved to maintain a steady course....I talked myself into the $723(GM price) for two extra years of warrenty. Seemed to me..that even the simplest corrections could cost an arm and a leg with out it. So..in some ways..I'm not so sure that 'complexity' is all it's cracked up to be. Yes...the car will let us know if a tire is low....seat will slide back or up on it's own auto pre-ajustedly ...and a neat center stack screen will lead us down all roads..and the car can even talk to us. Then we get spoiled...and even pissed that we can't change everything to different colors...better graphics...and a sexier voice..all with a push of what should be a factory button..OR better yet with 'voice command'(then we don't even need to reach). Sometimes I do miss 'simpleness'. OK..'OldSchool' rant over...(for now)...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
300 Posts
gmiemigrad said:
The older GM systems were based on the ABS braking system - the system looked for a difference in rotation speed of the tire or tires which would indicate a low tire pressure. It was simpler and less expensive than the current system - but it wasn't as detailed.

GM had been using the ABS based system since the mid 90's.
My 2001 impala used to give me a false low pressure reading once in awhile, usually right after I checked my tire pressures and maybe added a little air to one of the tires.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
318 Posts
I just had my tires rotated during a visit. The next day the TPM system lost contact with the right rear wheel. I re-learned about three times with no success.

I called the dealership and asked if they may have lost a sensor or something they said NO. They have been having problems on all models and I need to go in and have them do a system flash, according to the service advisor.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,772 Posts
NY_Joe said:
I just had my tires rotated during a visit. The next day the TPM system lost contact with the right rear wheel. I re-learned about three times with no success.

I called the dealership and asked if they may have lost a sensor or something they said NO. They have been having problems on all models and I need to go in and have them do a system flash, according to the service advisor.
I am glad to hear that you are planning to work with your dealership to have this concern resolved. Please feel free to keep us posted regarding the fix. Thank you in advance.

Tricia, GM Customer Service.
 
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Top