GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

How often should you get an oil change?

75K views 36 replies 16 participants last post by  GARYD 
#1 ·
I know this is a basic question, but here goes... I just bought a used 2011 Equinox, how often should I have the oil changed? And what kind?

#27 ·
wrusprod said:
WOW! very clean! nice
He never said when the picture was taken. Maybe it was 2003 when they brought it home. just kidding. Looks great.

#28 ·
GARYD said:
I can't believe people still believe syn oil costs more - IT DOESN'T!!!

When you factor in doubling or in some cases tripling the change interval, it's not any more costly then dino oil. You also save on the number of filters. Plus the money you save on labor to do the change. Last but not least, you're helping the environment and land fills from all that plastic.

Of course it also depends on how much you pay for your oil/filters or the shop labor.
I"m lucky to be able to do all my own changes and I save a ton of money.
What some of my friends do is buy oil when it's on sale and take it to their oil change shop and just pay the labor costs. Some shops will do that and some will not.

My Harley dealer wil do that for me in the winter when I can't do it myself - actually I don't WANT to do it then, Chicago can get a wee bit cold in the winter. ;D
Right you are. If you stock up when it's on sale, and watch price fluctuations, synthetic oil can be purchased $25 for a 5 qt jug.
Filters are often on sale too. Pick a couple of brands that you are comfortable with, compare oil prices to Wal-mart's price, and stock up.

Around here, central Wisconsin, a lot of places are advertising $20 and $25 oil changes. That's with bulk oil, but they'll gladly do it with YOUR oil and filter for a reasonable labor charge IF you can't or don't want to do it yourself.
My 2¢

#29 ·
Dawgdaes said:
He never said when the picture was taken. Maybe it was 2003 when they brought it home. just kidding. Looks great.
yeah- looks nice. Never been waxed either. just gets washed often.
but as reference that is a 2007 Impala- and a 2010 Traverse in the pic.
The Trailblazer has not been garaged- and has made plenty of road trips--- Los Angeles to Florida 4 times. Los Angeles To Guadalajara, Mexico 4 times..... VROOOM VROOOM VROOOM.
We hope to replace the Impala with a Nox.

#30 ·
Something to keep in mind for those looking to go long intervals, per GM specification, the acceptable amount of engine oil consumption is 1 qt per 2000 miles for a normal drive (and up to 1 qt per 500 mi for a rough driver). Of course, there are oil sensors which should tell you when the oil is low, but those don't go off until the level has dropped quite a bit.

#31 ·
As many cars I have had, I have never had one go through that much oil between oil changes...GM says 1 qt per 2k miles is acceptable?? thats alot of oil!

#33 ·
you would run out of oil before 15k!!! :D

#34 ·
For my 2011 Equinox, I'm changing every 7,500 miles because I'm in my dealership then anyways getting my tires rotated. They have a program that allows you two free sets of tires if you get your oil changes and maintenance at their dealership.

I changed the first time at 3,000 miles, when my "Oil Monitor Life" stated I was at about 80%. I then came back in at 7,500 (since I had to do a tire rotation anyways), but am now planning on coming in every 7,500. I'm here now with a shade under 15,000 and am getting an oil change and tire rotation. They're also giving a complimentary (gotta love perk programs) alignment, car wash and "gloss renewal treatment".

If you go by my oil life monitor, it's stating that I can go about 14,000+ miles between oil changes, but this I do not trust. So, I'll split the difference.

#35 ·
Better get a UOA. Best investment any car owner can do.
I just got my latest results back and at ONLY 1650 miles I now have 10% fuel in my oil. No wonder I'm getting such lousy mpg.
Can't wait to see what the dealers analysers come up with.

#36 ·
WOW! Gary, is the dealership still acting like there is no problem??!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.