GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this is a basic question, but here goes... I just bought a used 2011 Equinox, how often should I have the oil changed? And what kind?

·
Registered
515 Posts
I would use the Oil Life Monitor and change the oil at 20% remaining. Then change with a
synthetic oil. You see around 7500 miles of use at the change.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Since you bought used, I would change the oil around 1500 miles, reset the oil life monitor and then follow the DIC and change at about 20% with the synthetic. You have no idea if the oil life monitor was reset at each oil change previously or the state of the oil when you purchased.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
My dealer told me when the oil life monitor says to change the oil OR anytime AFTER 5k miles..(on my 2012 V6)

i was going about 7k on my 2011 I4...

I agree with wkeatonjr, start out with oil change, then monitor...

·
Registered
153 Posts
Iliketerrain said:
I would use the Oil Life Monitor and change the oil at 20% remaining. Then change with a
synthetic oil. You see around 7500 miles of use at the change.
Going by the oil life monitor with synthetic oil is inaccurate. The oil life monitor doesn't actually monitor the oil. It monitors RPM, temperature- a number of factors, but not oil itself. The oil life monitor assumes the OEM synthetic blend is in the engine, so it will tell you to change sooner than you would need to with a synthetic.

With that being said, I don't go by my oil life monitor whatsoever. I just changed it at 3400 miles and it still read 80% oil life. I don't care how good the manufacturing processes and oils are now. The few extra bucks a year to make the engine go a long way is well worth it. Sure some oils will go that far assuming there is no problems, but what if there are some tiny metal shreds that the filter doesn't catch? Then they are floating around your engine that much longer. Plus, Valvoline guarantees my engine for 300,000 miles if I change it every 4k or sooner :thumb:

·
Registered
39 Posts
I agree with the 20% oil life monitor and synthetic. I basically use Penzoil platinum synthetic as it has stated on their website that it is Dexos certified in our 5W30 weight. I change my oil every March and every October. So basically twice a year. One fresh change for winter driving and one fresh change for summer. This works perfectly as it usually adds up to about 7,000 KM and leaves me at about 30% on oil monitor. Wal Mart has this oil and it goes on sale sometimes for about 25 bucks for the 5 liter jug. When not on sale its 42 bucks

·
Registered
5,140 Posts
You can also get several used oil analysis- on the oil you use, how you drive, your ambient conditions, and the state of your engine.
Then youll know how long you can safely go. An Informed decision.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Just had my first oil change on mine..At 2848.

had it done at the dealership.. The sticker says ' 6/25/12 or 7848'..so 5k according to my dealer..

·
Registered
483 Posts
Quote:Valvoline guarantees my engine for 300,000 miles if I change it every 4k or sooner.

Well I'm thinking that also guarantees that Valvoline will sell a lot of unnecessary oil.

·
Registered
289 Posts
I generally do mine every 5000 miles because it's an easy number to remember.

Black Granite LTZ said:
Quote:Valvoline guarantees my engine for 300,000 miles if I change it every 4k or sooner.

Well I'm thinking that also guarantees that Valvoline will sell a lot of unnecessary oil.
And with all that unnecessary sales they can pay for any engine damage that occurs before 300,000 miles. :facepalm:

·
Registered
153 Posts
JediSkipdogg said:
I generally do mine every 5000 miles because it's an easy number to remember.

And with all that unnecessary sales they can pay for any engine damage that occurs before 300,000 miles. :facepalm:
Don't get me wrong, I whole heartedly agree and am well aware I'm changing the oil more frequently than necessary. But if you ask me, I would say it's worth an $~50/yr to know I never have to worry about engine failure.

·
Registered
289 Posts
kparrent said:
Don't get me wrong, I whole heartedly agree and am well aware I'm changing the oil more frequently than necessary. But if you ask me, I would say it's worth an $~50/yr to know I never have to worry about engine failure.
I guess I find it funny that cars have taken oil for so long and for probably at least 50 years it was every 3,000 miles. Now, 50 years later it's only 4,000 miles? So, in 50 years we haven't made oil and oil filters last longer? That's my thoughts.

Right now according to my OLM I should be able to go 10,000 miles between oil changes. I'll probably do my first one at 5,000 and then 10k between changes. My Buick and Pontiac both hit 0% at 5,000 therefore I always did it then.

·
Registered
5,140 Posts
Black Granite LTZ said:

They have the 150K and 300K guaranty right?
150,000 for dino oil.
300,000 for synthetic.

I have a 2010 Traverse- with the 3.6L Direct Injection engine. As we found out on the Traverse, Acadia, enclave,outlook forum... these DI engines really beat up oil.
But I do run Valvoline 5w-30 conventional oil. Ive had UOA done on my oil- and based on the reports- I do my oil change intervals at 5000 miles.
The oil could probably go another 1000 miles- but 5000 sounds good enough.... eventhough the OLM reports the oil only at 50%.
the 2011 and 2012 (and some 09 were reprogrammed)- many now report OLM reaching 0% around 4500-6000 miles.... which agrees with my UOA.

·
Registered
5,140 Posts
JediSkipdogg said:
I guess I find it funny that cars have taken oil for so long and for probably at least 50 years it was every 3,000 miles. Now, 50 years later it's only 4,000 miles? So, in 50 years we haven't made oil and oil filters last longer? That's my thoughts.

Right now according to my OLM I should be able to go 10,000 miles between oil changes. I'll probably do my first one at 5,000 and then 10k between changes. My Buick and Pontiac both hit 0% at 5,000 therefore I always did it then.
these DI engines are well different.
But I would run the Valvoline dino oil up to 11,500 miles on my inline 6 Trailblazer. I still have it. runs fine at 160,000. Changed oil when the light told me to. I have UOA on that oil to back up the accuracy of the OLM in that vehicle- (and 5000 mile OLM in my 07 Impala)

·
Registered
977 Posts
For $17.99 you can get a syn blend oil (Dexos certified) and a Pure One filter on-sale at Adavance Auto (Every couple of months). So I think one would rather change the oil (and per the manual) for shorter intervals if you do "severe" driving such as stop and go. I do a lot of idling and short trip driving so I change my oil every 4 months. Again to each their own.

·
Registered
194 Posts
wkeatonjr said:
Since you bought used, I would change the oil around 1500 miles, reset the oil life monitor and then follow the DIC and change at about 20% with the synthetic. You have no idea if the oil life monitor was reset at each oil change previously or the state of the oil when you purchased.
Since they bought used why wait 1500 miles? Just change now and start fresh. With my 2010 I changed every 3k with whatever they put in. With my 2012 I will make point to Mae sure it's what GM wants.

·
Registered
153 Posts
rbarrios said:
They have the 150K and 300K guaranty right?
150,000 for dino oil.
300,000 for synthetic.
Yes, and a 225K for blends and recycled oils (NextGen). Realistically, I probably won't have my car for 300K, but the price difference isn't much for another 75K. Dino oil will void the warranty on these since it is not a "Dexos equivalent". Synthetic blend would probably qualify also, but GM would have more of an argument against that than the full synthetic.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
My job, I replace my car every 4-5 years, usually 120-140k miles..

Im with Dawgdaes...I'm going with what my GM certified dealer says..right now its every 5k or 5 months..(with me its miles)..or if the oil monitor says to change it.

I had 58% left on my oil monitor, at 2848 miles.

·
Registered
715 Posts
Black Granite LTZ said:

How many owners would/will keep a vehicle for 300,000 miles? Very, very few I'd bet.

Especially those the buy new.

the rest of the vehicle will rot away around a well maintained engine before 300K miles.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts