GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2010 chevy equinox lt 2.4, 135k miles. Mocha steel metallic mobile 1 full syn extended performance
1,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm changing my insurance from State farm to something cheaper, I have 2 insurance policies from 2 different companies on the car for 2 seperate drivers. Recently discovered through State farm they list the equinox as a sport wagon? Just paying 65 through them and another 60 through aaa is ridiculous per month like 1500 a year... I'm just wondering what other members are paying and is their equinox listed as a suv on insurance?

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
State Farm lists my 'nox, Tahoe and Traverse as sport wagons. The S in SUV is sport. My NJ reg. says wagon on them.
Ins. is based on state, city and driver age primarily. Driving record next. Vehicle age is a factor, cost drops as it ages. State Farm also uses ''tiers'' to rate the customer.
In NJ we insure the vehicle for liability, property damage and optional comp. and collision if required or desired and list the drivers on the policy. Drivers don't have separate insurance on them here.
I'm at $1600 per year for my 3 SUV's listed below. But only adults driving them with clean records.
State Farm on all my toys also, nobody beats the price they give me bundling bikes, boats and snowmobiles and the house.

Reactions: christopherlompoc

·
Registered
2022 Equinox RS, AWD 1.5L
86 Posts
A lot of variables here for sure. Age and Driving record and location being the biggest.

I live in the worst postal code in Canada for accidents so my rates are higher. I have no tickets, no accidents, in a brand new 2022 Equinox RS I am paying 120 a month, now that is Canadian of course.

With today's rate that is about 95 dollars american. This is with 3 cars on the policy so I am getting the multi car discount.

·
Registered
3,035 Posts
We are paying $1,580 a year in AZ for the wife and I.
My 2014 Nox and her 2018 Buick Encore, full coverage on both, $500 deductible.
Through Travelers with the house on a multi-policy discount.

They don't give it a name like SUV.
They list as year, make, model and VIN then call it Vehicle 1 and Vehicle 2.

·
Registered
2012 GMC Terrian 2.4L Ecotec LEA 125k Miles
78 Posts
$722 a year here are my details I copied and pasted:
  • 2012 GMC TERRAIN 4D SLE1
  • Comprehensive
  • $ 500per occurrence
  • Adds $ 30.18 to your six-month premium
    Full GlassOption Included
    Collision
  • $ 500per occurrence
  • Adds $ 123.41 to your six-month premium

·
Registered
2010 chevy equinox lt 2.4, 135k miles. Mocha steel metallic mobile 1 full syn extended performance
1,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Kinda seems like I'm paying about the same as everyone else... I'll update whatever company I decide to go with in a couple weeks. Thanks everyone for responding, I suspected lower amounts but that's not really the case.

·
Registered
2012 GMC Terrian 2.4L Ecotec LEA 125k Miles
78 Posts
Kinda seems like I'm paying about the same as everyone else... I'll update whatever company I decide to go with in a couple weeks. Thanks everyone for responding, I suspected lower amounts but that's not really the case.
yes it appears $60 a month is about what it takes to be insured

·
Registered
5,713 Posts
All I know is it seems vehicle insurance is just too high. Our two vehicles range from $722/yr to $740/yr with the so called muti car and combined home insurance discount.
We are retired and usually drive only about 6,000 miles a year or a bit more on each vehicle. Except for the past two years where we were doing good to do 1,500 on one and maybe 3,000 on the other.
We did get a $150 rebate check in mid 2020 for car insurance and then later two $50 rebates due to less driving during COVID-19.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
yes it appears $60 a month is about what it takes to be insured
I’m 50, in GA, and I pay $125 per month for full coverage with $500 deductible. I use an educator insurance company called Horace Mann and that’s supposed to be discounted since I have my homeowners insurance with them. It did jump about $25 per month when I got divorced and lost the multi car discount. My Camaro is with Hagerty collector car insurance, classified as an exotic oddly enough!

·
Registered
2022 Equinox RS, AWD 1.5L
86 Posts
Wish there was more Canadian responses on here. I can tell you what I am paying for my 2002 Camaro however.....I am with Hagerty for that and pay $385 dollars a year. Of course that is not for daily use but pleasure use only....

Jason

·
Registered
2011 Equinox 1LT V6 3.0L FWD 174.4k miles
4,395 Posts
I'm paying $1154/year to cover a 2002 Impala (242k miles) and a 2011 Equinox (173.5k miles). No Collision Coverage on either one, just Compulsory and Comprehensive. I usually drop Collision after the 4th or 5th year (after I buy a vehicle brand new). Can't remember if I bumped the Deductible to $1,000 ... but think so.

I always try to cut the number as low as I can and "drive on my record" ... because history (for me) says that's the most prudent thing to do. And now, 30 years in ... I'm way ahead of the game.

·
Registered
5,713 Posts
I'm paying $1154/year to cover a 2002 Impala (242k miles) and a 2011 Equinox (173.5k miles). No Collision Coverage on either one, just Compulsory and Comprehensive. I usually drop Collision after the 4th or 5th year (after I buy a vehicle brand new). Can't remember if I bumped the Deductible to $1,000 ... but think so.

I always try to cut the number as low as I can and "drive on my record" ... because history (for me) says that's the most prudent thing to do. And now, 30 years in ... I'm way ahead of the game.
My truck just turned 5 years old and wife's car will be 5 in October. I often think about dropping collision, but not until at least 7 or 8 years old.
I am glad we have Comprehensive. After driving +50 years never had a crash, etc. Wife got backed into some 15 years ago while her car was parked. Other insurance paid for that.
But good thing about the Comprehensive. We had a deer run into my truck at 5 in the morning in the Fall of 2018. Then in Spring of 2020 we had a deer run UNDER wife's little Sonic in the rain late afternoon on the interstate in somewhat heavy traffic.
We were in the right lane and two cars in the left. One was along side of us and the other about two car lengths ahead of the other car. Somehow, a deer made it in between the two, but I think car one clipped the deer and it went skidding across the road and into and under our car's lower bumper/grille. :eek:
That little car somehow dragged that deer completely under it for 150 feet as we edged off to the road shoulder and then went flying out the back. o_O

Anyway, never came close to hitting a deer in all these years then two of them two years apart. :oops:

EDIT : Oh, and since this thread is about insurance. It covered both under the Comprehensive. It seems the state considers deer running into you as damage caused by nature I guess.
And the Sonic repair bill was $3,400 for a new lower bumper, fog lights, a new radiator, radiator fan and A/C condenser coil plus antifreeze coolant and A/C refrigerant.

·
Registered
2011 Equinox 1LT V6 3.0L FWD 174.4k miles
4,395 Posts
@JayTee2014 : was just talking to a co-worker today. Noticed his Audi was gone and he was driving a 2020 Impala. He hit a deer not far from work and the Audi was totaled. He said they told him "the headlights alone were $2500" Is that true??? I find it hard to believe!

It was a 2012, in very good condition, but 10 years old. Said Comprehensive covered it, but the check he got didn't cover the cost of the Impala, which was ~$25k ... so ... not a great outcome, IMO. Says he already misses some of the Audi's features the Impala doesn't have, but he probably won't miss those $600 "checkups" at the big city Dealership that he paid for every year with the Audi!

·
Registered
5,713 Posts
I have heard about huge prices on replacement headlights. Consumer reports seems to list that when they compare cars. Outrageous.
The deer hit on my truck took out the passenger side headlight and bent the fender a bit. The headlight was $575 "discounted" . I looked on Ebay and found several new or next to new take offs for $200 to $250.
Even so, the whole new GM OEM fender was only $250 plus the paint work.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I'm changing my insurance from State farm to something cheaper, I have 2 insurance policies from 2 different companies on the car for 2 seperate drivers. Recently discovered through State farm they list the equinox as a sport wagon? Just paying 65 through them and another 60 through aaa is ridiculous per month like 1500 a year... I'm just wondering what other members are paying and is their equinox listed as a suv on insurance?

·
Registered
62 Posts
I'm paying $1056 per year. Same full coverage since new. Allstate considers my vehicle as a truck, not an suv. Years ago I recall insurance cost going down as vehicle ages. I have not seen that.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts