GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife wants me to drive from SC to Ohio for Thanksgiving and I only have 400mi on my Terrain is that too few to take it on a long (12hr) trip like this? It is around 600mi each way. Thanks :thumb:

·
Registered
371 Posts
There is a recommended breakin in your manual. Some follow it, some don't. Up to you. We have pretty much followed it on ours.

It basically says don't go over 68mph for first 600 miles and don't go over 68mph for more than 5 minutes between 600-3000 miles.

·
Super Moderator
931 Posts
I think 'on the road miles'...or on a trip is a great way to break in a new vehicle. Try and follow the break-in procedure in your manual as much as possible..and definately alternate speed. I ordered a new Vette some years ago..and after it came in..drove from midIndiana to St. Louis with the express purpose of putting some miles on during break-in.

·
Registered
682 Posts
I am a firm believer that you break it in like you are going to use it everyday. I would not be afraid to take a vehicle right from the dealers lot on a long trip. I have done this many times before and I have not had issues. Todays manufacturing processes and machining tolerances are so much better than yesteryear that the break in is not that much of a concern. You already have 400 miles on the power train you are as well as broke in. Just drive it and enjoy the ride.

·
Registered
300 Posts
I did a 3000 mile trip with one Buick that had 400 miles on it when I started, and did a 5000 mile trip with another Buick with a starting mileage of 200 miles. Got the windshield broke in Fargo, ND with about 500 miles on the car.

·
Registered
371 Posts
I know a lot of you say just drive it, but why do you suppose GM puts the breakin procedures in the manual if they aren't necessary?

·
Registered
10,486 Posts
tsduke said:
I know a lot of you say just drive it, but why do you suppose GM puts the breakin procedures in the manual if they aren't necessary?
Exactly ! :thumb:

·
Registered
715 Posts
Drive it, keep it at or under 65, turn the cruise off on occasion.

Break-in in the handbook? CYA.

My 2¢

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I am back 1400 mi later and going 3500ft up the mountains of the West Virginia turnpike from Myrtle beach to Cleveland and back. Average speed on the Highway was 70mph+ and I got close to 27mpg for the whole trip. There were some stretches going 85mph. I will never drive on Thanksgiving again :angryfire: waaaay too many morons on the road. I did take a rock to my top just above the windshield about 20 mi into the trip now I have what looks like a large hailstone dent and a few very small window chips but those were the only issues. It was also windy sometimes excessively ( highway signs flashing "High Winds Use Caution" ) and it did get blown around a little but I would expect that with any car in those conditions. Overall a good trip but I did not like the Onstar turns and directions I used my own Garmin on the way back it sat neatly in the cubby under the HVAC. :thumb: I have 1950mi now and I think it may be broke in 'ya think?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts