GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Driving my 2019 2.0T I could not notice any difference using regular (87) or premium (93) fuel so I decided to do some actual testing.

At the beginning of the summer, I ran a few tanks of 93 octane through the car then did some acceleration tests. I use the “Torque” app on my phone which has an extremely accurate 0-60 test (I compared to some stop watch runs) and I have a favorite riverside road that is flat and long.

I found the first few runs were in the low 7s (6.9-7.6). after the intercooler heated up the times would drop to the low 8s. (8.1-8.6). Breaking into the 6s (6.98) only happened once. Boost was peaking about 18 psi.

GM tested the car and published 6.6 sec 0-60. Where did the half second go? Well I was running about ¾ tank of fuel, emergency tools and supplies in the trunk, at 1000 feet above sea level, tested at 72F (what was GMs test temp) and no GM engineers around to tweak the engine. I am happy with the results.

A few months later after running regular (87) through the car I found a day with the same temperature and repeated the tests. SAME results. Could not hit 6.98, best was 7.1 but average still less then 7.5 before the intercooler heated up. I was running with a full tank of gas this time too.

It wasn’t my imagination, there is no difference in performance. Also gas mileage change was not noticeable. It would need to be 20% better with premium to justify the price difference.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
…time to get to the track! It’s fun even in a Nox! Not your motor, but still good info!

·
Registered
211 Posts
We have an 2018 LT2 2.0t with 95,000 miles of all types, including hundreds of off-road miles.
We have run 87 octane pretty much since we bought.
Had plugs changed at 55,000, they were a little sooty but the mechanic said not bad.
I ran ours right to computer shut off. My speedo said 131 mph. Never checked 0-60 speed.
I talked with the dealer service dept. Once I knew they would stand behind it if something happened. Helps to know the dealership owner, I guess.

Reactions: Lee F

·
Registered
102 Posts
WOT performance is a pretty narrow window to base this kind of assertion on. At WOT the ECM dumps a lot of extra fuel in to protect the motor and apparently, based on your results, allows similar spark and boost curves. The same is most assuredly not true under part throttle conditions.

Apparently there is a contingent that believes GM recommends premium fuel for this engine for what? Just to aggravate people? To secretly increase the oil company's profits?(I will hunt anyone down who runs with that one).

Convince yourself anyway you like that saving $0.50 per gallon is OK. The only reason you're getting away with it is because the calibrators took your mindset into account.

·
Registered
293 Posts
The only thing missing from this post is what kind of oil you use and how often

Reactions: Silversn95

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I also ran the knock test. No detonation when the intercooler is stone cold. Starts to knock after 3 or forth run when the time start dropping. Still knocked with 94 octane but maybe after a few more runs. I forgot to count.

If I was running it on the track I would pay the extra $1.50 a gallon but for the occasional 0-60 full throttle it is fine. Probably would never do 2 0-60 in a row .

BTW: In winter it don't knock at all. I will repeat the test in a few months.

What does oil got to do with it . All brand name synthetics are basically the same quality and you would be crazy to use a conventional in a turbo.

I have had other turbos and in summer you can feel the power surging with regular gas but the NOX seems to be de-tuned to prevent it. (Could be because it only runs half boost in the lower gears to protect the drive train.)

·
Registered
102 Posts
Just because you don't hear detonation doesn't mean it's not happening. The knock sensor hears it long before it is audible to the human ear. By the you started to hear it, the engine had been "hearing" it for a while. That is at least part of the reason your times started to deteriorate.

$1.50 a gallon extra for premium? AZ, CO, & NM it averages $0.50.

·
Registered
212 Posts
$1.50 a gallon extra for premium? AZ, CO, & NM it averages $0.50.
He is a fellow Canuck by the look of it so I can believe the $1.50 per gallon difference. Fuel prices in Canada suck!

I wouldn't be letting it knock, terrible for the engine. I would have thought it would have been quicker with the 2.0T considering the weight of the vehicle and the torque/Hp.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
He is a fellow Canuck by the look of it so I can believe the $1.50 per gallon difference. Fuel prices in Canada suck!
When we've been in Canada with our motorcycles I don't remember premium costing $1.50 more a gallon compared to regular.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Unfortunately that is the current situation, at least in southern ontario. Reg is about 1.30 per liter while premium is 1.70ish. Do the math and it works out to around 1.50 per gallon more. That is why I went with the 1.5t since it is my daily driver. Goodbye to the triple digit fill ups I used to have with my old 06 explorer!

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
Reg is about 1.30 per liter while premium is 1.70ish. Do the math and it works out to around 1.50 per gallon more.
That does suck, does it change in winter like our "winter blend" with ethanol?

·
Registered
212 Posts
Yes. On the plus side, fuel is usually a little cheaper over the winter. More to do with supply/demand than anything else.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2011 Equinox 1LT V6 3.0L
3,935 Posts
If I had the 2.4L engine I’d start a sister thread titled: “How Fast Does Your 2.4L Burn/Lose Oil (and do we really need this headache)? LOL!

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Unfortunately that is the current situation, at least in southern ontario. Reg is about 1.30 per liter while premium is 1.70ish. Do the math and it works out to around 1.50 per gallon more.
Wow, I hate to hear that.
I was hoping to make another motorcycle trip to the New England states again in the next year or two.
We usually ride across Ontario.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Mine has seen 91 octane it's whole life except for the few times I've experimented.

Costco Canada supreme has no ethanol and is cheaper than regular at the big oil stations.

The Costco regular can contain up to 15% ethanol and I do notice the mpg difference when tried.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
I'm glad I've got a 3.6 that runs on Reg. . Turbos are for motors without enough cylinders

Reactions: garagerog

·
Registered
5,579 Posts
If I had a turbo engine of any sort. . . I think I would run 91 or 93 octane fuel. Just from past experience and what I've read in recent years. . . .. ins spite of what might be "allowed" for fuel.
That said, am also glad that we have two 3.6L (LGX/LGZ) V6 NA GM vehicles and previously had the LFX 3.6L V6 in our 2015 Equinox.
In the meantime, I'm paying attention to see how these 1.5L and 2.0L turbos fare for durability and issues.

Reactions: repairman54

·
Registered
367 Posts
The 3.6 V6 in our 02' Buick Regal is bulletproof... I run 93 octane in our 2.0 Terrain and more frequent oil changes. Still no real long term data on the little 2.0 so I'm playing it safe

·
Registered
211 Posts
From my experience the 2.0t is pretty much bullet proof. I run 87 octane and have for 95,000 miles.
I do regular oil, filter, & transmission. I have changed the trans twice so far. I love this 9 speed automatic.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts