GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About to have tires rotated & I am curious about how the TPM system actually works??
ie - what sort of sensors are there & how do they get the info to the menu screen??
LW4T

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
The valve stem in each wheel has a pressure sensor and a rf transmitter that communicates with the BCM. (body control module) Make sure the dealer (or whoever) follows the reset procedure that's outlined in the owners manual.

·
Registered
37 Posts
The procedure after tire rotation is covered is Page 10-53 in the Owners manual. I have done tire rotation myself on my other cars in the past in my own garage. However now a "relearn" tool is needed after tire rotation :(.
This is what the manual states:

"7. Place the relearn tool against
the tire sidewall, near the valve
stem. Then press the button to
activate the TPMS sensor.
A horn chirp confirms that the
sensor identification code has
been matched to this tire and
wheel position."

Where can I get a relearn tool?

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
Trailblazer said:
The procedure after tire rotation is covered is Page 10-53 in the Owners manual. I have done tire rotation myself on my other cars in the past in my own garage. However now a "relearn" tool is needed after tire rotation :(.

"7. Place the relearn tool against
wheel position."

Dealers service dept.

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
Trailblazer said:

Its not required to utilize a relearn tool after a tire rotation,
Pg.10-60 in MY11 manuals (pg. 9-57 in the MY10 manuals) will show you how to relearn without assistance from GM or Tire shops.
Of course you can always have the tire shop do this for you, as most have a relearn tool, for DIYer's the truck can learn itself.
I've performed this when I put on my winter rims/tires before winter.

Equinox manuals may be a different pg., but it should be under Vehicle Care - TPMS Sensor Matching Process.[/color]

·
Registered
48 Posts
I havent done it but I heard it a circus act lol. You do someting inside wait for the horn to chirp then
go outside and let sum aum air out the tire indicated for a certain amount of time then of to the next
tire and so on. Sum thing like this if im correct.

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
Sum thing like that, yes... ;)
If your nearest Dealer and or Tireshop is to far to travel, then this is the only option compared to having a relearn tool.
It does take a little longer than a relearn tool but marginally.[/color]

·
Registered
37 Posts
Interesting. The 2011 Equinox manual does not have anything about re-learning after tire rotation or changing tires without the relearn tool. I'll try to download the Terrain manual.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Trailblazer said:
Interesting. The 2011 Equinox manual does not have anything about re-learning after tire rotation or changing tires without the relearn tool. I'll try to download the Terrain manual.
Very interesting, in the PDF downloaded online it only mentions the learern tool but in hard copy in my glove box I am pretty sure it specifically mentioned letting air out of tires until horn beeps to relearn even though I have 2011. I know because I followed it letter to letter and it did NOT work, drove me crazy. Gonna scan the actual manual tomorrow, but for now this is what the PDF says.

The sensors are matched to the
tire/wheel positions, using a TPMS
relearn tool, in the following order:
driver side front tire, passenger side
front tire, passenger side rear tire,
and driver side rear. See your
dealer for service or to purchase a
relearn tool.
There are two minutes to match
the first tire/wheel position, and
five minutes overall to match all
four tire/wheel positions. If it takes
longer, the matching process
stops and must be restarted.
The TPMS sensor matching
process is:
1. Set the parking brake.
2. Turn the ignition to ON/RUN with
the engine off.
3. Use the MENU button to select
the Vehicle Information Menu in
the Driver Information Center
(DIC). Use the arrow keys to
scroll to the Tire Pressure
screen.
4. Press the SET/CLR button to
begin the sensor matching
process.
A message requesting
acceptance of the process
should display.
5. Press the SET/CLR button again
to confirm the selection.
The horn sounds twice to signal
the receiver is in relearn mode
and the TIRE LEARNING
ACTIVE message displays on
the DIC screen.
6. Start with the driver side
front tire.
7. Place the relearn tool against
wheel position.
8. Proceed to the passenger side
front tire, and repeat the
procedure in Step 7.
9. Proceed to the passenger side
rear tire, and repeat the
procedure in Step 7.
10. Proceed to the driver side rear
tire, and repeat the procedure
in Step 7. The horn sounds two
times to indicate the sensor
identification code has been
matched to the driver side rear
tire, and the TPMS sensor
matching process is no longer
active. The TIRE LEARNING
ACTIVE message on the DIC
display screen goes off.
11. Turn the ignition to LOCK/OFF.
12. Set all four tires to the
recommended air pressure
level as indicated on the Tire
and Loading Information label.

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
equinox2 said:
Very interesting, in the PDF downloaded online it only mentions the learern tool but in hard copy in my glove box I am pretty sure it specifically mentioned letting air out of tires until horn beeps to relearn even though I have 2011. I know because I followed it letter to letter and it did NOT work, drove me crazy, but for now this is what the PDF says.
I've noticed in step #7 of your PDF, its missing some important info.
I've attached the manual instructions, which you'll read, has a 30sec window for activation.
When I did mine, it did take or felt like almost 30secs before it started.
I also purchased genuine GM TPM sensors for my winter rim set, and it still worked[/color]

Attachments

·
Registered
749 Posts
I have had to do the "relearn" procedure after getting my tires rotated. Mainly because my dealer rotated the tires and for got to re-program the sensors. Needless to say I felt kind of stupid at the local shell station, running around my car looking like an idiot with my vehicle apparently losing it's mind and honking at everyone. Once you start it's a fairly simple process though.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Phantm006 said:
I have had to do the "relearn" procedure after getting my tires rotated. Mainly because my dealer rotated the tires and for got to re-program the sensors. Needless to say I felt kind of stupid at the local shell station, running around my car looking like an idiot with my vehicle apparently losing it's mind and honking at everyone. Once you start it's a fairly simple process though.
Is yours 2011?

·
Registered
378 Posts
OnxBear said:
I've noticed in step #7 of your PDF, its missing some important info.
I've attached the manual instructions, which you'll read, has a 30sec window for activation.
When I did mine, it did take or felt like almost 30secs before it started.
I also purchased genuine GM TPM sensors for my winter rim set, and it still worked[/color]
Is yours 2011? Notice how before the numbers, the copy & paste I made from digital PDF I downloaded online does not talk about "The TPSM sensros can also be matched to each tire/wheel position..." at all? So maybe the PDF version from the web is newer revision of the manual, and in 2011 you CANNOT do the manual relearn procedure? I tried multiple times and it never worked.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Here is scan of my hard copy manual found in my 2011 glove box. It does mention manual relearn like I said - so since the PDF version does not, I wonder if they removed it after discovering it doesn't work anymore?

Attachments

·
Registered
378 Posts
So looks like they did update it, on page iii, the part number of my hard copy found in glove box says "Part No. 20781752 A First Printing", the digital PDF you download from chevy.com says "Part No. 20781752 B Second Printing"

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
equinox2 said:
Is yours 2011? Yes it is.[/color]

and in 2011 you CANNOT do the manual relearn procedure? I tried multiple times and it never worked.
Well I don't know what to tell ya, I've done it multiple times now, both with the 2010 and now with my 2011.
Looks like Phantm006 has also performed this.[/color]

·
Registered
300 Posts
Trailblazer said:
My 2011 Equinox manual has the TPMS Sensor Matching Process on pages 10-58 and 10-59

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
Don B said:
My 2011 Equinox manual has the TPMS Sensor Matching Process on pages 10-58 and 10-59
Great find Don, Thank you![/color]

1 - 20 of 22 Posts