GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So recently I started getting weather alerts popping up on the display screen. That would be great, if they were actually for some bad local weather, and not flooding alerts in all of Michigan, Indiana, and Ohio.

I did a search on the forum and found a couple of posts that indicated that there was a way to turn them off, but none of them seemed to actually say what I needed to do. I have searched through every menu option I can find, and I don't find any way to turn off anything related to weather.

Can someone help me? I really want these to go away! I have a 2011 Equinox w/Nav system.

Thanks!

·
Registered
338 Posts
I was wondering why I didn't get my local weather on my nav unit until this came out.

Date: 04/26/2011 Ref. number: Marketing / Product Information / G_0000081980
Subject: SiriusXM Radio Update

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
GM “Local Forecast” Tabular Weather Service

A number of GM vehicles equipped with GPS Navigation include XM NavTraffic® and a special XM Local Forecast feature. This local forecast feature is not available separately, but is included with the XM NavTraffic service on select vehicles.

What is Local Forecast?

On select GM vehicles, the Local Forecast feature brings local forecast and current conditions information right onto the screen of your vehicles GPS navigation system. If threatening weather is nearby, you will also see National Weather Service weather warnings for your area.

Which vehicle models include local forecast?

To view the eligible vehicle model list as well as Frequently Asked Questions logon to http://www.siriusxm.com/gmlocalforecast

---------------------------------------------------

After going to the link, it stated I had to pay extra to get that feature. Is it possible you purchased an XM package upgrade?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ChevyMgr said:
After going to the link, it stated I had to pay extra to get that feature. Is it possible you purchased an XM package upgrade?
I only purchased my Equinox about a month and a half ago, so if the NavTraffic comes with the 3 month XM demo, then I have it. If I hit the Info button, I can get to the local weather forecast and the weather alerts. But periodically, a message will pop up that covers whatever else is displayed on the screen telling me that there is a weather alert. (If I select to have it display them, it is the same alerts that I see if I go to Info-->Weather-->Weather Alerts.) I am trying to see if I can turn off the pop up message. Short of cancelling the NavTraffic option, I can't seem to figure out how.

Thanks!

·
Registered
338 Posts
I would call XM, 1-800-967-2346. I am not in the trial anymore, but I seem to remember it working when I was. Maybe they can tell you how to get rid of the alerts, I have never seen any on my nav.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Re:

I was able to disable mine, and I think I recall how. (Could not find it as an option in any menu) But when an alert popped up, I chose to view. Then clicked on forecast, options, and then a menu appeared to customize weather alerts, including an option to turn them off completely.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
89 Posts
I called sirius/xm last night. The weather alerts are tied to your subscription. Either have them delete your subscription then add it back without the alerts, or wait until you renew and don't get the alerts.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I believe there is an option in the menu for XM for the traffic and weather alerts. When I bought my 2015, I had them pop up for all neighboring counties but mine on startup with no way to turn them off. There is a TSB in this thread that describes my issue, but this particular PDF only states 2014-2016. http://www.terrainforum.net/9-terra...3658-2014-factory-radio-firmware-upgrade.html

There was another that is for 2013 that is mentioned here: http://www.terrainforum.net/42-new-member-section/13257-nav-radio-system-shutting-down.html

So there may be something available for your year if you contact the dealer. You can give them the TSB and ask if there is an update for your radio. If you are out of warranty, you might have to pay a reprogramming fee. Or you may find it was not an option for 2011, but I doubt it.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Surprise, surprise, it didn't work. I'm still getting the weather advisories.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey all, in case anyone is looking for a resolution to this, I'll add what I ended up doing. I bought a new-to-me 2014 Terrain SLE with nav that started displaying weather reports for locations 500+ Km's away from where I am near Toronto. I am not a Siriusxm customer but Im getting the alerts. When you get an alert you can get into hidden settings where you can change the weather station... I choose Arizona because there's never bad weather. No luck, looks like I'm stuck with upstate NY! I call XM and end up with the worst customer satisfaction in the history of never ever. What a bunch of idiots. Sorry sir you're not a customer. I discover I'm eligible for a trial that all GM customers get...I dont want their service, only hoping to set my locale or just turn the dumb thing off. I call XM again. Im sorry sir you don't get the weather alerts. Well here I am looking at them and it even says so on your website that I do. Im sorry sir you don't get the weather alerts. Useless robots. Four frustrating calls later with increasingly ridiculous explanations and lies, it takes me 45 minutes to cancel the trial. The Canadian phone system option to cancel the trial redirects to XM usa that doesn't help Canadian customers and everyone is completely clueless.
Sorry for the rant, but if you're here on this thread you've likely had your own taste of their call center intelligence. I ended up disconnecting the XM antenna from the rear of the radio! Absolutely Brilliant!! It's the yellow connector that's on the rear passenger side of the radio. There are a few YouTubes showing how to pull out the radio module that's behind the CD player slot. You'll need to pop off the sunscreen, radio bezel, and two small side panels. A 7mm ratchet and extension is needed to pull the radio forward enough to access the XM antenna connector. Trying to access the XM connector from the glove box might be possible with a long-reach needle nose but I had no luck. I tried attaching a photo showing the yellow connector, turned slightly to show the flat tab the needs to be pressed in to release. Good luck folks! Edit: My photo appears to have uploaded upside down 🙂

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts