GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

How can I disable ANC on 2018 equinox?

27K views 23 replies 16 participants last post by  holbertkids10.jk 
#1 ·
Seen a few threads about it, they tend to go no where.

Is there a GM Scan Tool clone I could buy to do this? Anyone have wiring diagrams so I can cut power to the module? Where is the module located? Developer mode on mylink have an option to disable it?

What we know:

1. Fuse is shared between infotainment and ANC, so pulling fuse will not solve issue.

2. Mics even covered(Unless everyone is missing one) doesn't do much.

3. While most people say it's only on front speakers, or a dedicated speaker, no matter where you get source for amp, it still causes the same issue.

4. 2017 and below don't help. It's different, so trying to say "On 2017 it was here" doesn't help anyone with a 2018 model.

As others have stated, covering mics does nothing or little to nothing. ANC causing really bad feedback in aftermarket subs.

Has anyone been successful and disabling this on the 2018 equinox?

See less See more
#3 ·
I called and made an appointment for oil change on the 11th, asked and they said they don't know the exact code or how to disable ANC, but will ask and attempt to disable it(A tech would) so if that works i'll update here.

All info I can find leads me to believe only dealer can, and thankfully gm service dealer is willing to do it if they can find the setting. I'll update if i'm successful and **** they seem nice enough; i'll ask tech and maybe he can give me code he used to disable it.

I'll update on 11th.

#5 ·
So good news and bad news. I said I would update; and yes i've been able to get rid of ANC.

Bad news: Dealer was no help, they have no documentation and said they couldn't find anything but didn't charge me.

Good News: I got upset so said **** it, I was going to disable it myself.

https://imgur.com/a/QwXPIoK

The two circled red are microphones used for bluetooth and in call.

The one circled green are the microphones used for ANC. So to disable ANC.

1. Remove the handles, pry open cap, remove with (7 or 8 or 9 mm I, forget) and then peel back lining along rubber seal.

2. This is very easy, and easy to put back, use common sense, might be able to do it without removing handle but it makes it easier. Snip wire. Reinstall and move on to other 3.

3. Two in back are slightly trickier, I still think you should remove handles.

So ANC in 2018 models uses those 4 microphones and an RPM sensor. I was unable to find RPM sensor; however after testing for 2 days it doesn't seem to be doing anything. It might only matter if microphones are working, once microphones are cut there is no longer any issues.

Unfortunately there is no connector, so you gotta cut it. Microphones are passive so no tape etc needed, cut and leave it. You don't need to peel back a lot, just feel, wire is clearly coming out the top, easy to feel and cut.

So ray give it a shot, last two days i've finally been anc free and not wanting to pull my hair out, and it took me literally 30 minutes to do all 4.

Sorry ray; only info I got but luckily it worked and I got no problems with calling features, voice commands or anything else!

#17 ·
So good news and bad news. I said I would update; and yes i've been able to get rid of ANC.

Bad news: Dealer was no help, they have no documentation and said they couldn't find anything but didn't charge me.

1. Remove the handles, pry open cap, remove with (7 or 8 or 9 mm I, forget) and then peel back lining along rubber seal.

2. This is very easy, and easy to put back, use common sense, might be able to do it without removing handle but it makes it easier. Snip wire. Reinstall and move on to other 3.

So ANC in 2018 models uses those 4 microphones and an RPM sensor. I was unable to find RPM sensor; however after testing for 2 days it doesn't seem to be doing anything. It might only matter if microphones are working, once microphones are cut there is no longer any issues.

Unfortunately there is no connector, so you gotta cut it. Microphones are passive so no tape etc needed, cut and leave it. You don't need to peel back a lot, just feel, wire is clearly coming out the top, easy to feel and cut.

So ray give it a shot, last two days i've finally been anc free and not wanting to pull my hair out, and it took me literally 30 minutes to do all 4.

Sorry ray; only info I got but luckily it worked and I got no problems with calling features, voice commands or anything else!
WANTED TO THANK YOU FOR YOUR HELP ON HERE, I DID EXACTLY AS YOU POSTED AND MY RUMBLE ISSUE IS GONE !! I DID REMOVE ALL HANDLES FOR MORE WORKING SPACE, I INSTALLED A SELF POWERED SUB AND IT IS NOW GREAT....(y)

#7 ·
the rpm sensor is probably just a signal sent from the pcm via canbus to the radio...glad to see there’s progress tho. i’m curious to find a wiring diagram and find the plug for the mics, there has to be one somewhere and i’d rather not cut wires but knowing that unrolling them works is the best progress so far! this is the longest i’ve been without a system in a car, now i just have to decide how much longer i’ll have the vehicle and if it’s worth wiring it up!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#8 ·
If you can locate the stock amplifier(probably under the steering wheel behind the dash) one of the connectors will contain all of the ANC microphone wires.It will be one of the 16-pin connectors.Simply just unplug it from the amplifier and that should completely disable the ANC system.It's worth a try anyway and is better than cutting wires IMO.

#10 · (Edited)
Excuse my lack of knowledge but why would a person want to disable the ANC?
I'm just wondering what the downside is to having it.

Thanks
The ANC system works with the stock audio system amplifier,whether the amplifier is external or inside the head unit. For people who want to add their own aftermarket amplifiers this creates an issue. Typically because they want to use the speaker wire outputs to achieve a signal and the ANC system makes this a hassle because the cancellation waves are mixed in and share a common pathway(speaker wires) to the speakers.Ideally people should use the audio signals BEFORE they enter the stock amplifier(low level),however many vehicles do not have stock amplifiers so the speaker outputs are the only way to get a signal,hence the need to disable the ANC system.Hope that helps.

#12 ·
So I have learned some more about the 2018-19's and it is totally true that the 2017 and down models will not be of much help.These newer models come with either a Bose or Non Bose system.If you have the Bose system then you could remove the ANC microphone pins from the connector at the amplifier and that would do it.There are 2 pins that need to remain in that connector though(serial data).I have the connectors and can easily make a bypass harness for anybody who needs it.Email me at 1pocket73@sbcglobal.net.

Now for the Non Bose systems it gets more complicated.First off there are like 4 different Non Bose versions to pick from.At your radio unit located under the passenger side glovebox you'll see one of 4 different possible connectors.Either a green 16-way,a brown 20-way and a gray 20-way,a combination of a gray and black set of connectors or green and gray set.In the green and gray set the ANC microphone wires are in the gray connector.I have yet to learn where the microphone wires are in the other sets of connectors and I have the wiring diagram plugs for all of them.I'm wondering if the ANC module feeds the MOST serial data system and inputs the signals through those wires at the radio? In the past models the ANC module fed the input signals directly into the stock amplifier so it was much simpler to understand.

#13 ·
Hey all. I’ve been struggling with my new amp and sub. I tried both a high level input and a high level with a LOC to no avail, I would still get the loud bass hum. Took your advice, disconnected the 4 ANC microphones and boom, everything works excellent! Took me about an hour, but I was working slowly and carefully but everything went back together excellent. Thanks for the advice! 2019 Chevy Equinox, non-Bose system.

#15 ·
I just did a 2021 and the ANC is in the tuner at the passenger's kick.

Gray connector, second from left:

Find 4 pairs of twisted thin wires, one for each mic.

green/brown & green/black
blue/yellow & blue/black
gray/blue & gray/brown
violet/blue & white/green

Cut first wire in each pair. Done!

#16 ·

Hey thanks for the update, worked just fine igot them all out and no trouble, thanks again brother

#20 · (Edited)
Just wanted to pop in and say Thanks for the info in this Thread. I now have a 2017 Acadia AT 3.6 AWD. It has the non Bose so I added the NVX bass package that fits the cubby hole. Anyway it has the same ANC 4 mic with 2 Bluetooth mic setup as the 2018+ Terrains. I was able to disable ANC by snipping wires on the 4 mics.

#21 ·
Did you remove the handles on the headliner or did you snip them at the ANC? I talked to a guy from AAMP and se sent me this diagram of the 2017 ANC wiring for the Acadia (NOT the limited). There are bypass plugs for Bose systems but not your standard. I guess I am apprehensive about doing something that isn't able to be reconnected.

And to those who say "I cant tell if it works, or does anything".... It does... I popped out a mic and it isn't working as well as it was, and there is definitely a hum from the reverberation.... I just need to disconnect them all I guess.

Attachments

#22 ·
So good news and bad news. I said I would update; and yes i've been able to get rid of ANC. Bad news: Dealer was no help, they have no documentation and said they couldn't find anything but didn't charge me. Good News: I got upset so said **** it, I was going to disable it myself. The two circled red are microphones used for bluetooth and in call. The one circled green are the microphones used for ANC. So to disable ANC. 1. Remove the handles, pry open cap, remove with (7 or 8 or 9 mm I, forget) and then peel back lining along rubber seal. 2. This is very easy, and easy to put back, use common sense, might be able to do it without removing handle but it makes it easier. Snip wire. Reinstall and move on to other 3. 3. Two in back are slightly trickier, I still think you should remove handles. So ANC in 2018 models uses those 4 microphones and an RPM sensor. I was unable to find RPM sensor; however after testing for 2 days it doesn't seem to be doing anything. It might only matter if microphones are working, once microphones are cut there is no longer any issues. Unfortunately there is no connector, so you gotta cut it. Microphones are passive so no tape etc needed, cut and leave it. You don't need to peel back a lot, just feel, wire is clearly coming out the top, easy to feel and cut. So ray give it a shot, last two days i've finally been anc free and not wanting to pull my hair out, and it took me literally 30 minutes to do all 4. Sorry ray; only info I got but luckily it worked and I got no problems with calling features, voice commands or anything else!
Good news, I have tried it and it works I will give you a little bit more info. If you want to test and see if it's your ANC turn your base on with the door open you shouldn't hear any sound as soon as you close your driver side door you'll hear it. The second thing is you only need to cut one of them not all four. Hope it helps

#23 ·
2019 equinox.. I too was able to get rid of ANC but you do not have to cut all four mic, cut just one. It's kind of a tight fit in a short wire there's two little tabs on the microphone that you can press out pull the microphone out of the enclosure tug on the wire a little bit and you can bring the microphone to the edge of the door. It makes it easier to cut plus gives you a little slack if you ever did want to put it back in for some reason. If you want to verify that it is the ANC turn on your system with the door open as soon as you close the door the noise will start. Also it was 8 mm lol.