GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2020 GMC Terrain SLT 1.5 liter
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
After setting all night, is tire pressure readings on my Terrain DIC accurate enough to calibrate a tire pressure gauge.

Thanks

·
Registered
10,522 Posts
My reading match pretty well against my digital hand held gauge.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My reading match pretty well against my digital hand held gauge.
Thanks Rit, I have 3 gauges laying around and all give different reading. Was looking for a way to recalculate the readings on one of them so I can have a accurate gauge. Will check the Terrain tires tomorrow and then use the gauge.

·
Registered
10,522 Posts
I suppose that +- 3 pounds in accuracy is not as important as keeping all 4 tires consistant to each other in pressure.

Reactions: gary777

·
Registered
5,542 Posts
I have 2 digital gauges and (had) 5 or 6 regular "stick" gauges. Some of the stick gauges varied by 5 or 6 PSI.

I compared to the best Digital gauge, the DIC and threw out 4 of the stick gauges.

Now they all compare within about 2 PSI. Also, the first cheapo digital gauge I bought gave very erratic readings. So tossed that one as well.

·
Registered
5,542 Posts
I feel that the DIC . . on all 3 of our GM vehicles. .. . reads 1 or 2 PSI low compared to a digital pressure gauge. Possibly intentional so that tires are near recommended PSI or a bit higher for lazy owners who don;t check tire pressure often. I check ours usually once or twice a month and more often during the Summer/Fall and Winter/Spring transitions since tire pressure can suddenly go up or down 4 to 6 PSI as ambient weather temperatures occur.

I have 2 digital gauges and (had) 5 or 6 regular "stick" gauges. Some of the stick gauges varied by 5 or 6 PSI.

I compared to the best Digital gauge, the DIC and threw out 4 of the stick gauges.

Now they all compare within about 2 PSI. Also, the first cheapo digital gauge I bought gave very erratic readings. So tossed that one as well.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I feel that the DIC . . on all 3 of our GM vehicles. .. . reads 1 or 2 PSI low compared to a digital pressure gauge. Possibly intentional so that tires are near recommended PSI or a bit higher for lazy owners who don;t check tire pressure often. I check ours usually once or twice a month and more often during the Summer/Fall and Winter/Spring transitions since tire pressure can suddenly go up or down 4 to 6 PSI as ambient weather temperatures occur.

I''ll have to check out the digital ones at Auto Zone.

Thank You

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
TPMS was born from the old soft tire/low inflation rollover Explorer days.
Basically there to warn of excessive low pressures and never meant to be completely accurate just a ''danger zone'' warning when SUV drivers are driving ''sporty'' with half flat tires.
My fleet also is the 1-2 lb. range of accuracy on the dash.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
TPMS was born from the old soft tire/low inflation rollover Explorer days.
Basically there to warn of excessive low pressures and never meant to be completely accurate just a ''danger zone'' warning when SUV drivers are driving ''sporty'' with half flat tires.
My fleet also is the 1-2 lb. range of accuracy on the dash.
Thank you for the info John. When you mention "My fleet are you talking about a fleet of vehicles, or a type of gauge. There are are so many out there, even under "the best tire gauges" So many to choose from.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I set a reminder in my phone to check my tire pressure every 30 days. I feel that if it gives me a heads up of being low I can take action but either TPMS is not accurate or my garage is. If one is off a few PSI, I’m fine with that. I don’t think I ever seen all 4 the same PSI in the dash.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I set a reminder in my phone to check my tire pressure every 30 days. I feel that if it gives me a heads up of being low I can take action but either TPMS is not accurate or my garage is. If one is off a few PSI, I’m fine with that. I don’t think I ever seen all 4 the same PSI in the dash.
Good idea. When I first start my Terrain in my garage all 4 tires read the same, 34psi, as I drive sometimes the psi will vary 1-2# from tire to tire, which I consider normal.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
When I say my fleet it's the GM ones in my signature line that I currently own.

Reactions: gary777

·
Registered
2 Posts
Recently, while driving on a smooth Florida highway at 55 mph, I heard a rattling in the rear axle area which sounded like a rock knocking against a wheel well liner. Then, in about 5 more seconds the noise returned with increased frequency. Within seconds, the 2017 Terrain's information center reported only 2 psi in the left rear tire, and I quickly decelerated and got off onto the side of the pavement. The left rear tire was flat. But, the Terrain had remained very stable and level, and because of the TPM system, I removed the damaged wheel/tire and had it repaired - rather than replaced. The TPMS did it's job quickly so that I could respond quickly enough to save the tire.
That said, I have found that the tire pressures reported by the TPMS are usually within a 2-3 psi variance compared to my favorite pressure measuring instrument.

Moparbob82

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Recently, while driving on a smooth Florida highway at 55 mph, I heard a rattling in the rear axle area which sounded like a rock knocking against a wheel well liner. Then, in about 5 more seconds the noise returned with increased frequency. Within seconds, the 2017 Terrain's information center reported only 2 psi in the left rear tire, and I quickly decelerated and got off onto the side of the pavement. The left rear tire was flat. But, the Terrain had remained very stable and level, and because of the TPM system, I removed the damaged wheel/tire and had it repaired - rather than replaced. The TPMS did it's job quickly so that I could respond quickly enough to save the tire.
That said, I have found that the tire pressures reported by the TPMS are usually within a 2-3 psi variance compared to my favorite pressure measuring instrument.

Moparbob82
Good to know...

·
Registered
2015 GMC Terrain SLT-1
4 Posts

Moparbob82
That's great to know mine's a 2015 and I have a right rear tire that wants to jump all around with pressure but slowly. I think it's great that you could save a tire and the fact that it stabilizes it to get you off the road safely is even better.

Be seeing you...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts