GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know that this is probably normal for a new vehicle, but to be on the safe side I thought I'd ask you guys: after driving, I usually smell what I can only describe as a "hot plastic" smell at the front of the Terrain. Anyone else experience this? if so, how long did it last? I assume that it's something to do with the materials and/or coatings under the hood getting "baked in" by the engine, but wanted to check to make sure it wasn't something i should be concerned with. thanks!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,085 Posts
tbox302 said:
I know that this is probably normal for a new vehicle, but to be on the safe side I thought I'd ask you guys: after driving, I usually smell what I can only describe as a "hot plastic" smell at the front of the Terrain. Anyone else experience this? if so, how long did it last? I assume that it's something to do with the materials and/or coatings under the hood getting "baked in" by the engine, but wanted to check to make sure it wasn't something i should be concerned with. thanks!
How long have you been smelling this odor and how long have you had the Terrain?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
51 Posts
Funny you should say this, tbox302. As I parked the Terrain in my garage tonight and walked by the hood, I too smelled something that was similar to hot plastic.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
318 Posts
I'll chime in.

The smell started as that smell and I chalked it up to new car.

It then turned to a potent gas smell.Not sure if they were related.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
318 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
gearhead said:
How long have you been smelling this odor and how long have you had the Terrain?
I'm pretty sure I smelled it from the beginning though it varies in strength and I've never smelled inside the cabin. I've had the Terrain right at a month and have just over 800 miles on it.

thanks for the link and gas smell info. Hopefully they are unrelated and but I'll be on the lookout for a gasoline smell just in case.

thanks moofy. hot plastic was the best I could come up with, but it fits pretty well. Definitely not a burning or more alarming odor otherwise I'd be much more concerned.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
53 Posts
FYI - For those that have a "plastic smell" or film on the inside of your windshield inside the vehicle, it comes from the plastic. It is called out gassing and it is just simply the process that plastic goes through. This is also what contributes to the "new car smell".

The reason I bring this up, is on a seperate forum (chevymalibuforum.com) there we some complaints about this; My husband experienced this in his 2009 Chevy Malibu.

Just wanted to add to the "funky" smell thread here. :)

Cheers - TG
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
446 Posts
Our 'Nox is now 3 weeks old. We park in our garage, and the "new" smell was very strong for the first couple of weeks. Now it's pretty much gone. Our 'Nox is our 7th new GM over the past 2 decades. They've all had some kind of under-the-hood smell the first few weeks.

A repair tech explained it once to me as the coatings and oils used to build and protect the engine during assembly and shipment are wearing off from the heat. Basically, it's normal and will go away with time.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
318 Posts
SnowItch said:
Personally, I will blame all new smells on NY_Joe's gas problem.
You talking to my wife?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,537 Posts
I had the exact same smell coming from the front of my 2001 Aztek 2 weeks ago. It came and went a couple times and now I don't smell it at all. I thought maybe some wires may have come loose and laid on the engine, but could not find anything. My wife also noticed it so I knew I wasn't crazy. Still don't know what it was. Nothing seems to wrong.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
19 Posts
I noticed the same smell today. Never noticed it before. I have had the Terrain for just over 2 weeks and 600+ miles. I figured I would keep it on my radar.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
53 Posts
TerrainGirl said:
FYI - For those that have a "plastic smell" or film on the inside of your windshield inside the vehicle, it comes from the plastic. It is called out gassing and it is just simply the process that plastic goes through. This is also what contributes to the "new car smell".

The reason I bring this up, is on a seperate forum (chevymalibuforum.com) there we some complaints about this; My husband experienced this in his 2009 Chevy Malibu.

Just wanted to add to the "funky" smell thread here. :)

Cheers - TG
Hey All...

It's TG's Husband....Thought I would chime in here with a bit more info. Plastics go through a process after production she (TG) is right what helps to contribute to the new car smell is the out gassing of the plastic. It will eventually go away, you may also notice that close to where the windshield and the dash meet there is a film, this is that gas.

It's all good, and will go away.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,240 Posts
In the old days of vinyl (pleather or naugahyde) interiors, the insides of windshields of new cars got a film that was almost impossible to see out of at night ! Ah, the good ol' days !
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for all the input. it already seems to be lessening but good to know it shouldn't be anything to worry about. :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
85 Posts
Narg said:
Our 'Nox is now 3 weeks old. We park in our garage, and the "new" smell was very strong for the first couple of weeks. Now it's pretty much gone. Our 'Nox is our 7th new GM over the past 2 decades. They've all had some kind of under-the-hood smell the first few weeks.

A repair tech explained it once to me as the coatings and oils used to build and protect the engine during assembly and shipment are wearing off from the heat. Basically, it's normal and will go away with time.
Ditto...
 
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Top