GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2007 Equniox horn stopped working. Checked fuse, its good. Can hear relay clicking when you press to beep horn. Where the heck is it? Looked from up top and bottom of the front end and don't see it. Any ideas on whats wrong with the horn and were in the HECK is it at? "HELP"!!!!

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Unless you live in Manhattan/Chicago and use your horn constantly ( :D) I doubt that the horn itself is burned out. If the fuse is good then I would suspect maybe some loose wiring to the horn. Unfortunately, I don't even know where the horn is on my 2010 much less an 07.

·
Registered
441 Posts
should be behind the bumper somewhere...im at work now or else id look it up for ya....

·
Registered
635 Posts
Just because I'm curious, does horn still sound when you lock your doors (or double press remote fob)on your 2007 nox?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
gar187er said:
should be behind the bumper somewhere...im at work now or else id look it up for ya....
If you get time to look it up for me that would be great, I can't find any resourse on it. Thanks, Dave!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Roesterman said:
Just because I'm curious, does horn still sound when you lock your doors (or double press remote fob)on your 2007 nox?
The horn doesn't work with the key fob when I lock the doors, thats how I found out it didn't work. Do you know were the horn is located, I can't find it. Thanks, Dave!!!

·
Registered
62 Posts
carshowdave said:
The horn doesn't work with the key fob when I lock the doors, thats how I found out it didn't work.
It's definitely the horn itself. It's a shortcut. It can happen after some time in use because of its emplacement. It's prone to get humidity and dirt!

Get a new one - it's not big deal, but just be sure it has the same ground polarity like the old one.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
JohnEqui said:
It's definitely the horn itself. It's a shortcut. It can happen after some time in use because of its emplacement. It's prone to get humidity and dirt!

Get a new one - it's not big deal, but just be sure it has the same ground polarity like the old one.
You don't think it could be simply loose wiring or corroded contacts?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
NoobNox said:
My friend just called me and said my horn is behind the drivers side headlight. Grill has to come off because of the chrome strip in the middle of the headlight. I know I had to change the filiment in that headlight already. Thanks for the input, it really helps! Dave!!

·
Registered
62 Posts
NoobNox said:
The sound he hears (relay click) means more or less a short. It could drain his battery if he insists...

·
Registered
10,406 Posts
JohnEqui said:
The sound he hears (relay click) means more or less a short. It could drain his battery if he insists...
I don't believe so. I believe that it means that either the horn is bad, or one of the wires to the horn either broke, or got disconnected. A "short" would blow a fuse.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Got a new horn from GM Parts Warehouse $35.00. Found and after market univevsal horn $15.00 but I would have to cut the original pigtail off and splice wires together. Didn't want to do that. The horn is below the drivers side headlight. It was easy to fix. Loosen the bolts in the top of the grill, pry (carefully) the chrome strip that runs across the center of the headlight. Then three screws for the headlight and your done. Theres the horn!

·
Registered
10,406 Posts
carshowdave said:
Got a new horn from GM Parts Warehouse $35.00. Found and after market univevsal horn $15.00 but I would have to cut the original pigtail off and splice wires together. Didn't want to do that. The horn is below the drivers side headlight. It was easy to fix. Loosen the bolts in the top of the grill, pry (carefully) the chrome strip that runs across the center of the headlight. Then three screws for the headlight and your done. Theres the horn!
Did it fix it ?

·
Registered
62 Posts
RIT333 said:
I don't believe so. I believe that it means that either the horn is bad, or one of the wires to the horn either broke, or got disconnected. A "short" would blow a fuse.
You're right. In my case it did blow the fuse again and again as soon as I tried to honk.

·
Registered
10,406 Posts
Most likely, the wire going from the horn relay to the horn is touching the chassis ( i.e the Positiive wire from the horn relay is grounded, and when the relay tries to energize the horn, then it completes a short-circuit, and blows the fuse.) It might be easiest to just run a new wire from the horn relay (output-side) to the horn's positive terminal - IF you can't find the short. Trace the wire carefully, and look for any wire insulator that looks bare and touches a "ground".

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
Lexy Thompson said:
Have you checked the horn relay?
Lexy, if you are not getting an answer it could be that this thread is from August of 2010.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts