GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey y'all,
I was wondering if anyone can help me with an issue I'm having. I recently bought a 2012 Equinox that has been running pretty well. The only issue so far is that the horn doesn't work.
I've tried a bit of troubleshooting , but I'm not sure how to proceed.

The horn doesn't go off if I press it from inside the car and doesn't work when I lock it/hit panic from the key fob. Looking in the fuse box, the horn fuse is intact. There's power flowing through it when I check it with a multimeter. Same result when I swap the fuses. I also hear clicking from the relay when I hit the horn.

I also ran 12v from the battery directly to both horns, and they're both functional. I couldn't get a reading from the wires to the horn, though. I checked for cuts/breaks in the wiring and went as far as I could, but didn't find any. I think if I were to go any deeper, I'd need to start removing components in the engine bay and cutting through zip ties and electrical tape. I was a little hesitant to do so without instructions.

If anyone has info on what could be the issue, or where I can get instructions/videos/diagrams to go any further, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
I also ran 12v from the battery directly to both horns, and they're both functional. I couldn't get a reading from the wires to the horn, though.
I have the wiring diagram for the 2014, yours is probably the same, I can give you some ideas.

When you say you checked the fuse, I assume you mean #34, underhood fuse block.
This circuit goes through the Body Control Module so you must also check the 8 BCM fuses.
The horn relay is integrated in the fuse block Printed Circuit so we assume that is good for now.

After battery voltage goes through the horn relay it splits into 2 circuits.
First, from the horn relay... to fuse #34...to both horns... to ground.
And second, from the horn relay... to the Body Control Module... to the Steering Wheel Air Bag Coil... to the Horn Switch... to ground.
Hope this helps.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply! Yes, I checked fuse #34 under the hood. I also checked the 8 BCM fuses you mentioned. Those were also intact. I double checked with a multimeter.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Relay can click but not send power to horns. I'd check for 12v coming in and out of the relay.
Relays are a common part to fail in modern cars.
Try swapping like relays is a easy check.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks! But from what I read though, the horn relay is supposedly not serviceable. According to rednox301, it's built into the PCB.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts