GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
this morning while driving home from work. my hood popped opened. i was wondering if this happened to anyone???

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
I would recommend taking the vehicle into your local dealer as soon as possible to have this concern looked at. Please feel free to keep me posted and contact me if you need further assistance. Thank you.

Tricia, GM Customer Service.

·
Registered
77 Posts
It is a fairly common problem when the e-brake does not have a release lever. I have seen many folks reach down and pull on the hood release thinking it is the e-brake release.... but they don't pull enough to pop hood (or don't notice it popped)... then they remember to push down on the e-brake and it releases... then later the hood pops.. happened to my daughter when my wife drove her car one day....

·
Registered
64 Posts
There is little to no reason to ever use the e-brake in most parking situations... just another thing that can be worn out and need replacing

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
jdubs1211 said:
There is little to no reason to ever use the e-brake in most parking situations... just another thing that can be worn out and need replacing
Most parking situations, no...but if you're parked on an incline it can save strain on your tranny which is much more expensive to fix.

Back to the OP, I agree with Hawkeye....the first time I used the parking brake I released the hood latch by mistake. Luckily I didn't take off before checking the hood though..

·
Registered
977 Posts
Hoods have the safety so the hood shouldn't fly open. When I was looking at the Nox at the dealers I opened the hood and saw no e brake release so I knew not to pull the lever to release the ebrake

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
jdubs1211 said:
Should use it once in awhile at least just to keep it working....JMO

·
Registered
289 Posts
fourmoremarine said:
I thought it also did some self-adjustment on the brakes when using it.

·
Registered
64 Posts
fourmoremarine said:
I looked up info about this earlier and there seemed to be a general consensus agreeing with your point

·
Registered
312 Posts
jdubs1211 said:
The use of the e-brake does keep the rear brakes adjusted. It also prevents the e-brake cable from rusting or "freezing" to a point where it will not move. Many states have vehicle inspections, and the proper operation of the e-brake system is necessary in order to pass the inspection.

Parking on other then level ground is also a good reason to use the e-brake. If you just use the transmission to hold the car, you can put enough torque on the transmission that you may not be able to shift out of park. That is why you should put the car in Neutral, set the e-brake, and then put the car in Park. When leaving, put the car in Neutral, release the e-brake, and then put the car in Drive.

Using the e-brake will not cause accelerated wear and tear. It is designed to be used, not neglected. Non-use will damage it more than using it ever will! Especially those cars driven in areas where salt or other chemicals are used on the road, dusty, wet, or muddy conditions.

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
ls973800 said:
The use of the e-brake does keep the rear brakes adjusted. It also prevents the e-brake cable from rusting or "freezing" to a point where it will not move. Many states have vehicle inspections, and the proper operation of the e-brake system is necessary in order to pass the inspection.

Parking on other then level ground is also a good reason to use the e-brake. If you just use the transmission to hold the car, you can put enough torque on the transmission that you may not be able to shift out of park. That is why you should put the car in Neutral, set the e-brake, and then put the car in Park. When leaving, put the car in Neutral, release the e-brake, and then put the car in Drive.

Using the e-brake will not cause accelerated wear and tear. It is designed to be used, not neglected. Non-use will damage it more than using it ever will! Especially those cars driven in areas where salt or other chemicals are used on the road, dusty, wet, or muddy conditions.
+1

1 - 12 of 12 Posts