GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

2010 Equinox, for 3 days hood open indicator won't go away. The hood certainly seems closed but the car apparently thinks otherwise. I looked at the hood latch everything seems to be working properly.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
949 Posts
Only thing I can guess is to try opening and closing it 4 or 5 times, see if that helps. Otherwise, it might be a light that works much like the "loose gas cap" light...you usually have to start the car a certain number of times for it to reset itself. As long as you are 100% sure (because I'm not going to be liable for it) that the hood is, in fact, latched, then just keep driving for a week or so an see if the light goes off by itself.

That's all in your judgement though, since you're the only that can see the hood, etc. As long as you're sure it's latched, because obviously, that could be dangerous driving down the highway with a hood that is not latched all the way.

·
Registered
10,497 Posts
Or, could it be the sensor/switch that is telling (not telling) that the hood is closed. Either way, bring it to the dealer - if under warranty - otherwise, bring it to my house, and I'll fix it for you !

·
Premium Member
1,054 Posts
Yea not sure if your mechanically inclined or not. If you don't trust yourself, i would just take it to a dealer, better to be safe.
If you you know your way around a engine bay and have the proper wrench (not a crescent lol) you can safety disconnect the negative cable for 15min. This should clear and reset any codes or prompts from the computer(worked on older Gm computers) Then simply reconnect and shut the hood. Start it and see if prompt still displays. If so, prob a bad sensor. Also not sure if the Nox's have adjustable lil rubber stoppers on both sides, i will look on mine. If so maybe one is twisted to high and the sensor thinks the hood isn't shut. Just my 2cents.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
bowtieman said:
Yea not sure if your mechanically inclined or not. If you don't trust yourself, i would just take it to a dealer, better to be safe.
If you you know your way around a engine bay and have the proper wrench (not a crescent lol) you can safety disconnect the negative cable for 15min. This should clear and reset any codes or prompts from the computer(worked on older Gm computers) Then simply reconnect and shut the hood. Start it and see if prompt still displays. If so, prob a bad sensor. Also not sure if the Nox's have adjustable lil rubber stoppers on both sides, i will look on mine. If so maybe one is twisted to high and the sensor thinks the hood isn't shut. Just my 2cents.
I am pretty decent mechanically. Had a '91 Town Car my dad and I did quite a bit on, including replacing air springs and heater core. Needless to say at 55k miles, this is the first I've really had to pop the hood at all on the Equinox. Disconnecting the battery was my thought too. How do you even get at the battery on this thing?? Seems like it's hidden.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
bowtieman said:
Also not sure if the Nox's have adjustable lil rubber stoppers on both sides, i will look on mine. If so maybe one is twisted to high and the sensor thinks the hood isn't shut. Just my 2cents.
And yes, they do have the stoppers. I think this will be my first stop... hadn't thought about that

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Update: Adjusted hood stoppers. No change, the "Hood Open" still pops up.

I guess step 2 is to disconnect negative battery terminal. How do I get at it on this car? Doesn't seem clearly visible..

·
Registered
482 Posts
Hhmm, I would think there is a switch with a plunger that gets pushed down when hood is closed, most likey way up front. Guess would be the swtch is bad or has become disconnected somehow

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
Has your concern been resolved? Please keep me posted on your progress and feel free to contact me if you find that you need more assistance. Thank you.

Tricia, GM Customer Service.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
update: disconnected negative battery terminal for 15-20 minutes, reconnected. Problem still persists... i was really hoping that would cure it

·
Premium Member
1,054 Posts
severity845 said:
update: disconnected negative battery terminal for 15-20 minutes, reconnected. Problem still persists... i was really hoping that would cure it
Me too, it was worth a shot, now you have isolated it down to the switch sensor for the hood. I am prob sure its right below the latch in the front. Its prob right below the plastic cover. I will try to find some diagrams online to hopefully help. Heck maybe even try to see if there is a part number so u can better see ur options.

·
Premium Member
1,054 Posts
I sometimes use this site to locate part numbers or better get a feel of what i am looking at. Those prices I believe are full GM price, so ignore that.
You can always just use fastgmparts.com to get a feel of how much the part is.
Looks to me and to the description that the sensor might be built into the hood latch. Its hard to say, If I could see it in person,
you could prob check if there is a electrical wire coming off the latch. With the pics I can't really see if there is any other sensors.

hope this helps.

http://parts.nalleygmc.com/showAssembly.aspx?ukey_assembly=388780&ukey_make=1024&ukey_model=14503&modelYear=2010&ukey_category=19521&ukey_driveLine=0&ukey_TrimLevel=15088&ukey_modelRange=0&searchString=

·
Premium Member
1,054 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
bowtieman said:
I sometimes use this site to locate part numbers or better get a feel of what i am looking at. Those prices I believe are full GM price, so ignore that.
You can always just use fastgmparts.com to get a feel of how much the part is.
Looks to me and to the description that the sensor might be built into the hood latch. Its hard to say, If I could see it in person,
you could prob check if there is a electrical wire coming off the latch. With the pics I can't really see if there is any other sensors.

hope this helps.
Thanks for the info. So you think that the sensor is right there, built into the latch? I can see a thin wire coming out of the bottom of the latch going to the passenger side under the plastic shroud.

·
Premium Member
1,054 Posts
Yea if you see wires than its gotta be a sensor near it or built into it i would think, since the hood latch is all manual parts.
Is your Nox still under warranty? If not taking it to the dealer and see if they will give u an estimate on a fix without charging you to look at it so you can see your ballpark range. Looks like that part can range around $45 or more if the sensors built into the latch.
Even if you don't let the dealer repair it at least they can tell you that the sensor needs replacing. If you can get to the sensor to unplug and plug back into see if its loose, not sure if it even has a plug if built into the latch. Its gotta be that sensor is faulty. Thats the first thing a gm tech will check, run a code and test the sensor .

·
Registered
472 Posts
I have seen it out of the car and is integrated to the latch no changing just the switch. It has a resistor tree in it so it must match the car 2010-11 are the same 2012 is different. You are going to need a new latch.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Mochaman said:
I have seen it out of the car and is integrated to the latch no changing just the switch. It has a resistor tree in it so it must match the car 2010-11 are the same 2012 is different. You are going to need a new latch.
What do you estimate level of difficulty to replace the latch? It looks just like a few bolts holding it on, then I would assume plug in sensor.

·
Registered
472 Posts
severity845 said:
What do you estimate level of difficulty to replace the latch? It looks just like a few bolts holding it on, then I would assume plug in sensor.
On a 1-10 scale it is a 2. You have described it perfectly. The hardest part is putting the latch pull wire in. Not very.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am having the same problem on my 07. We have unhooked the sensor, checked the connection, and the fit. It will not go away. Anyone have any ideas if this is strictly a dealer part?

·
Registered
10,497 Posts
bigmikecraig said:
Anyone have any ideas if this is strictly a dealer part?
Dealer, Junk Yard, or a place like GMPartsDirect.com, or possibly even E-bay. But NOT a place like AdvanceAuto.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts