GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
:popcorn:Honda has a Youtube running stating that a "high oil level reading" and oil dilution is "normal". I suppose it's a lot like the "Uninteded Acceleration" that caused accidents some years back and he 1,709 unreported accidents due to car failures.

·
Registered
5,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I can't believe in another article I read that Honda says to just run the engine longer or take longer drives to burn off the gasoline in the crankcase oil. Yup .. just run the engine longer in diluted lubricating oil. :bootyshake:

So then, that means it's ok to add gasoline to the crankcase to top it off ? :facepalm:

·
Registered
665 Posts
To be fair, it is known that CR-Vs and civics (which share the same engine) which do not run short distances when cold do not suffer from this issue.

As i understand it the gasoline gets in the oil because when it is cold and only a short drive is done some of unburned gasoline vapor condenses in the crank case. When the engine gets hot there is no unburned gasoline vapor in the crankcase when the engine is switched off.

Since the days of multigrade oil, we have gotten used to switch on and drive and shutoff...no need to get the temperature needle up....now they want us to behave like the days when we had single grade oil on cold days rather than fix their design issue !! It is a recall issue in China if i remember correctly...but not in the US.

·
Registered
5,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Yes. . . I read where Honda is saying it "isn't a problem" in warmer climates or for people who take longer drives.

Oil dilution does occur to some degree with all GDI engines. And the oil may even smell stronger of fuel in colder times of the year. But I have never seen oil levels rise up over the full mark on the 2 GDI powered GM vehicles we've had for the past 2 to 4 years. And wife uses one as a daily driver with only 6 miles to work in winter. So two cold starts each day with at least 8.5 hours in between.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Since we have the GDI engine, do we have to worry about this happening to us?

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
The folks who live in very cold weather places of the US and Canada- AND do short drives- will get fuel dilution.
This was seen in folks who had used oil analysis- and found their oil was diluted. (traverse/Acadia/Enclave). Im sure it was the same in the Nox/Terrain.
But they did indeed take short drives- and usually also found high moisture (yellow goop) in their oil caps.

I have many used oil analysis.
I live in Southern California and did not have fuel dilution.
The Hondas appear to be excessive.

·
Registered
665 Posts
just ran into this....
That guy is a bit of a dolt: advising using full synthetic is not going to help with fuel in oil dilution.
It is physics...when you mix a 20 unit lubricant with 0 at half/half you will end up with a 10 unit lubricant (if they mix uniformly) whether it is dyno or synthetic oil you started with.
The only thing you can do is change your oil more often 3000 or less miles .. (to get rid of the contaminated oil) and if it is that often just buy dyno oil as they do not chemically break down yet for such low miles.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts