GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
"The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) has fined Honda $70 million, for according to NHTSA, "failing to report deaths, injuries, and certain warranty claims to the federal government." NHTSA says Honda failed to report 1,729 death and injury claims tied to their vehicles between 2003 and 2014, and that the company failed to submit "early warning reports identifying potential or actual safety issues." The NHTSA also claims Honda underreported warranty and customer dissatisfaction claims."

" The fines might not be the only penalty that Honda faces due to the lack of reporting.

Transportation Department officials Thursday said they have talked to the Justice Department about the results of their probe.

The Center for Auto Safety, a public interest group, has called for the U.S. to bring criminal charges against Honda.

It's now up to Justice as to whether to pursue a criminal case.

Honda says is it cooperating with NHTSA to fix problems in its reporting of accident data. "

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/2015/01/08/375914334/honda-fined-70-million-for-underreporting-deaths-and-injuries

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Re: Honda Motors Fined $70 million and maybe more. . . .

I read that earlier. I really wonder how that will effect their safety ratings that I hear so much about.

·
Registered
5,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Exactly .. . safety and quality is in question. And people were upset about the GM ignition switch debacle. This tops that and then some. The GM issue seemed to be just negligence and poor management procedures. This Honda situation seems like outright efforts to hide and misrepresent.

So much for those like the guy awhile back who posted his "Pride & Joy" Accord pics here in the forum.

·
Registered
4,983 Posts

Those automakers (honda, toyota, Hyundai)....
have now been caught
Hyundai- saying they got way more MPG
Toyota- all their recalls and issues
Honda- the above.

Deceitful .

·
Registered
1,426 Posts

I had heard about this a short time ago also. But it's good the us is making sure they get fined. And an audit also. Levels the playing field a bit. It is amazing though how long they got away with it though in reality.I bet that guy (who posted pics here)with that Honda isn't too happy now.

·
Registered
5,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

More on the Honda debacle and the deliberate effort to conceal accident and safety issues:

"Under pressure from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, Honda has agreed to pay $70 million in fines for concealing vital information about 1,729 fatalities and injuries in its cars, as well as important warranty information, in violation of federal auto safety laws.

To its credit, NHTSA is assessing Honda the maximum allowed by law — $35 million, for two separate violations, for a fine totaling $70 million. Plus NHTSA now has more ability to monitor Honda’s compliance with the laws in the future.

But — Honda should be paying more. For a huge multi-national, multi-billion-dollar company like Honda, and such repeated serious offenses, $70 million is not enough to act as a real deterrent.

Why isn’t Honda paying more? Because Congress has failed to act, to give NHTSA the authority to levy higher fines.

Bottom line: thanks to behind-the-scenes special-interest lobbying in Congress against desperately needed, reasonable, effective auto safety reforms, Honda just saved itself a cool $530 million."

·
Registered
1,014 Posts

I feel a smug sense of satisfaction from reading that. Thanks JayTee :happy:

·
Registered
5,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Buggsy said:
I feel a smug sense of satisfaction from reading that. Thanks JayTee :happy:

I just don't get why there isn't a media circus and public outcry over Honda and 1,729 deaths/injuries, 11 years of concealing safety problems, and a maximum fine; yet GM gets called into testify to Congress? Never mind, the article says. ... .. lobbyists paid and bought off those in congress.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts

JayTee2014 said:
I just don't get why there isn't a media circus and public outcry over Honda and 1,729 deaths/injuries, 11 years of concealing safety problems, and a maximum fine; yet GM gets called into testify to Congress? Never mind, the article says. ... .. lobbyists paid and bought off those in congress.
I wondered that too. Congress doesn't really own the media. In an age like ours, I'm surprised the internet media isn't more on top of this. It's somehow falling into a niche market of news, and the rest of the country won't really ever know.

·
Registered
5,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Excepts from another article:

"Automakers are required to report such information under a 14-year-old U.S. law, and Honda’s violations may have hampered the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration’s ability to quickly identify vehicle flaws.

“Honda and all of the automakers have a safety responsibility they must live up to -- no excuses,” U.S. Transportation Secretary Anthony Foxx said in a statement today. “These fines reflect the tough stance we will take against those who violate the law.”

Honda’s violations came to light late last year as investigations into a global crisis over defective air bags cast doubt on the diligence of some automakers to tell the government about all potential product defects. In a synopsis of an internal review filed with NHTSA in November, the Tokyo-based automaker blamed its underreporting on “inadvertent data entry or computer programming errors” that spanned 11 years.

For 11 years? Why did GM get called before Congress for far less incidents and Honda gets off with a weak excuse?

* * * * _ _ _ http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2015-01-08/honda-fined-record-70-million-for-underreporting-injury-claims.html

"The number of injury-claim omissions Honda admitted to exceeded the 1,144 reports Honda filed over the 11-year period and in some cases involved the company not sharing with NHTSA information from police reports.

(Only) Eight of Honda’s missing reports -- spanning from July 1, 2003, to June 30, 2014 -- involved Takata air-bag inflator ruptures, and NHTSA knew of those incidents, the company said in November.

GM, eager to demonstrate proactivity in the wake of the biggest recall in its history, disclosed 102 death and injury reports per 100,000 vehicles sold in 2014 through November. By contrast, Honda disclosed 2.4 reports per 100,000 vehicles sold over the same period."

·
Registered
5,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Davek said:
And the sad part many here in the us will continue to buy Honda..
Honda was obviously under reporting and hiding incidents even when Toyota was undergoing scrutiny for the unintended acceleration, which was really swept under the rug. Honda should be called before congress and face criminal charges. Where is the public clamor over this and how did Honda stifle individual claims for death and injury? Strong advertising spending and crony media cooperation?

"Honda was fined under the TREAD Act of 2000, passed after the so-called Ford-Firestone scandal. The original cap of $15 million was increased twice over the years, most recently after the 2009-2010 Toyota recall of some 10 million vehicles. (Also facing criminal charges for fraud, Toyota, which at the time was fined the maximum possible $17.4 million, later agreed to a separate settlement for a whopping $1.2 billion.)"

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
People sell themselves on the reputation of one brand or another. Sometimes it's for better or for worse. I've heard others on here talk about Ford like it was an STD you could get from sitting on a toilet seat. I know people personally that think Honda can do no wrong, even when they are on their second engine. Paid for our of pocket, not warranty. Something like this should be making the news. It should be grabbing national attention! Sadly, even if it was on the nightly news, it's not going to change many opinions. I knew about the ignition recall before I bought another GM. It was something to be considered, not dismissed. I think most Honda fans will dismiss this as "an honest mistake".

·
Registered
5,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
"The Japanese automaker acknowledged in November that it failed to report the death and injury complaints to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration over an 11-year period beginning in 2003. The company admitted it learned of the omissions in 2011 but had waited three years to take action."

The story keeps changing as this develops. First Honda claimed it was an "oversight" and discrepancy in their internal computer data collection. I see. They didn't know they were doing it. Now this says they "learned" of it, but waited 3 years to take action?

Why didn't they have to go before congress with hundreds more death/injury incidents than GM ever had? ELEVEN years of concealing accident, injury, death, and even safety warranty and customer dissatisfaction warranty issues.

·
Registered
5,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Bump . .. . . just to keep this on top for equal measure when more "one post wonders" start fake threads.

·
Registered
5,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Some Perspective:

Honda should face more fines and civil lawsuits. Why were not they called before Congress like GM ? ? ?

"Honda Motor Co. agreed to pay a record $70 million dollars in fines after failing to tell the U.S. government about warranty claims and more than 1,700 injuries and deaths linked to potential defects in their vehicles. 1,700!!! That makes the GM scandal look like child’s play.

To put Honda’s fine in perspective, just take a look at the GM scandal. During 2014, the Detroit-based automaker was fined a record (at the time) $35 million for their cover-up of the ignition switch malfunction that has led to over 100 confirmed injuries and deaths.

* Honda has just doubled that fine and is lucky that it isn’t more, considering they are facing a potential 1,700 death and injury claims."

* * * http://blog.4wheelonline.com/2015/01/09/honda-fined-record-70-million-under-reporting-1700-deathinjury-claims/

1 - 17 of 17 Posts