GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought a 2015 Terrain with Homelink and trying to get it to work with a Sommer Garage Door opener. The Sommer remotes work fine but going through the process with Homelink and the GM manual the Terrain Homelink in the Terrain doesn't work. Homelink service told me that GM has built some vehicles and sold them with Homelink deactivated and the dealer has to activate it. I find this a bit strange. Haven't seen anyone making this statement online.

Any ideas as to what the problem might be? One guy on Acadia forums had the exact same problem failing at the same step with same symptoms. His fix was to ditch the remote handhelds (used as part of the process) that came with his opener and get a universal opener, which then worked with the Homelink in his car. I can try that but don't want to waste money if others have seen this and might have a fix. thanks

·
Registered
8 Posts
mr68gti said:
Bought a 2015 Terrain with Homelink and trying to get it to work with a Sommer Garage Door opener. The Sommer remotes work fine but going through the process with Homelink and the GM manual the Terrain Homelink in the Terrain doesn't work. Homelink service told me that GM has built some vehicles and sold them with Homelink deactivated and the dealer has to activate it. I find this a bit strange. Haven't seen anyone making this statement online.

Any ideas as to what the problem might be? One guy on Acadia forums had the exact same problem failing at the same step with same symptoms. His fix was to ditch the remote handhelds (used as part of the process) that came with his opener and get a universal opener, which then worked with the Homelink in his car. I can try that but don't want to waste money if others have seen this and might have a fix. thanks
The garage door opener can be programmed to accept 5 codes. Meaning that if you had 5 cars it would not take the sixth car. Did you have previous vehicles that used remotes for that opener? If so then they used up some of your 5 codes. If you did you must clear (erase) all codes, which brings you back to zero codes at the opener and then setup the homelink for your Terrain and any other cars that you still have that you want to open the garage door.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The Sommer door opener is brand new. It accepts 20 devices and only two have been added (hand helds).

·
Registered
89 Posts
With some garage door openers, you need to press a button on them to allow Homelink to communicate with it. I had to do this with a '16 Terrain.

·
Super Moderator
381 Posts
The HomeLink in both my 2014 and 2016 had to be setup by pressing the button on the overhead control unit. Now that could be because I'm in Canada and the 2016 owner's manual specifically notes that this procedure will probably we required in Canada.

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
off topic... sort of...
my other chevy came with Homelink.
I dont have an electric garage door. (manual)....

so I had these useless buttons....
So I put them to good use.
Using those X10 modules.... When I pull into my driveway- I can turn on my porch light, living room light and dining room table light....
No more walking into a dark house.

In the NOX... no homelink.. so theres a small keyfob sized remote in the car- she uses to turn on the lights.

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
JVee-511 said:
Pretty high tech there, Rbarrios. Your garage door, not so much. ;D I joke...
I always looked at those buttons and said--- pffft no use for those.......

1 - 8 of 8 Posts