GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know why I didn't check with them first. Went on their site to check out how much renting a utility trailer costs and they had a tool to look up hitch installation for your car.
I looked up for my Equinox and it's only $216 plus installation. Called local place and they've ordered it for me, getting it installed next week.
http://www.uhaul.com/movingsupplies/hitches.aspx

Two local dealers wanted $350~$370 labor plus $250 for GM hitch, so this is a steal at less than half price.

Will let you know how installation goes.

Attachments

·
Registered
297 Posts
You may want to check with them again. According to the quote, they are saying your Equinox has 3500 lbs towing capacity. You have a 4 cylinder, so you only have 1500 lbs capacity.

This leads me to think that they are going to install a 2" receiver and hitch. The factory hitch/receiver for a 4 cylinder is a 1 1/4". Basically your vehicle can tow a small utility/jet ski type trailer and not much more.

Granted, the installed hitch does not totally define the towing capacity. However, in the future, you or someone else could easily exceed the capacity and damage the vehicle.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
jstpsntym said:
You may want to check with them again. According to the quote, they are saying your Equinox has 3500 lbs towing capacity. You have a 4 cylinder, so you only have 1500 lbs capacity.

This leads me to think that they are going to install a 2" receiver and hitch. The factory hitch/receiver for a 4 cylinder is a 1 1/4". Basically your vehicle can tow a small utility/jet ski type trailer and not much more.

Granted, the installed hitch does not totally define the towing capacity. However, in the future, you or someone else could easily exceed the capacity and damage the vehicle.
Thanks, I will check with them. If this is only kind of hitch they have is there an adapter I can use that will go from 2 to 1' 1/4 as needed? I don't plan to tow anything more than a small 700 lbs trailer.

·
Registered
297 Posts
equinox2 said:
Thanks, I will check with them. If this is only kind of hitch they have is there an adapter I can use that will go from 2 to 1' 1/4 as needed? I don't plan to tow anything more than a small 700 lbs trailer.
The smaller size is to limit what you tow so that you do not over load the car. Of course there are adapters to go back/forth between sizes. To be honest, the availability and cost for 2" receiver accessories is better than the 1 1/4" size. Ultimately, the hitch ball size will match you to your trailer. As long as you don't go over the rating/capacity you should not have problems.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
jstpsntym said:
The smaller size is to limit what you tow so that you do not over load the car. Of course there are adapters to go back/forth between sizes. To be honest, the availability and cost for 2" receiver accessories is better than the 1 1/4" size. Ultimately, the hitch ball size will match you to your trailer. As long as you don't go over the rating/capacity you should not have problems.
In that case I guess I'll just have the class 3 one installed and ad a sticker that says up to 1500 lbs for the next owner who might not read the manual :p Unless they end up having lower class one of course that could be cheaper.

·
Registered
59 Posts
The factory hitch and receiver for the 6 cyl is also a 1 1/4 inch. I just use an adapter when towing a small utility trailer or cargo carrier.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I didn't get the wiring kit because all I plan to use the hitch for is a bike rack. But ordered a class III hitch for AutoAnything and it was $149 with free shipping. It requires six bolts to attach and says it only takes 30 min.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
metgolf said:
I didn't get the wiring kit because all I plan to use the hitch for is a bike rack. But ordered a class III hitch for AutoAnything and it was $149 with free shipping. It requires six bolts to attach and says it only takes 30 min.
Thanks for the info, that's a great deal too. I decided that I didn't want to deal with wiring and if I'm gonna drop off the car and have them do wiring I might as well have them install the actual hitch for extra $30.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Hitch project on 2011 complete! $140 for hitch, mount and ball...Another $7 for the connector...GMC leaving correct wire color connector to left of tire under left trim...priceless!

Total for this Order: $138.62

Delivery estimate: March 14, 2011 - March 18, 2011
1 "Curt Manufacturing 13591 Class III Receiver"
Automotive; $119.62

Sold by: Amazon.com, LLC

1 "Curt Manufacturing D-534 2 In Drop Loaded Ball Mount W/ 2 In Ball"
Automotive; $19.00

·
Registered
116 Posts
scottb said:
Hitch project on 2011 complete! $140 for hitch, mount and ball...Another $7 for the connector...GMC leaving correct wire color connector to left of tire under left trim...priceless!

Automotive; $119.62

Automotive; $19.00
Did you install it yet ? How did it go ? Mine is scheduled for delivery Fri.

·
Registered
142 Posts
yep, it went ok...the bolt holes did not line up so i had to tweak the holes on one side with dremel...i called curt to explain so they can tweak...after putting on i was able to cut notch in center trim piece and put back on.

wiring is ok since connector is reachable under left trim on side.

·
Registered
139 Posts
scottb said:

Automotive; $119.62

Automotive; $19.00
Hey scott what kind of connector did you have to buy?

·
Registered
116 Posts
Got my curt class II yesterday. I hope I don't need to "tweak" The holes, that's some pretty thick steel to dremel through :eek:
I just ordered the standard wiring with out the module. Looks easy enough 8)

·
Registered
142 Posts
In answer to the question of what wiring i bought...I just bought a car/vehicle side flat 5. I cut off the connector left and under side plastic and wired 4 of the wires there. Then I took off left taillight and ran a piece of wire from backup wire thru hole (move some tape) back to where the connector was for the 5th (backup).

1 - 15 of 15 Posts