GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought the Curt 13591, holes do not line up on the sides. I'm not taking a dremel to widen the holes. I want a 2" receiver if possible. There's virtually no info for anything to fit a 2012. :angryfire:

·
Registered
111 Posts
vchizzle said:
I bought the Curt 13591, holes do not line up on the sides. I'm not taking a dremel to widen the holes. I want a 2" receiver if possible. There's virtually no info for anything to fit a 2012. :angryfire:
That is the same one I put on my car. When I installed it I put the middle two in first loosely to pull the hitch up into place, and then bolted each side loosely. Then I tightened it up evenly.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
GMJay said:
That is the same one I put on my car. When I installed it I put the middle two in first loosely to pull the hitch up into place, and then bolted each side loosely. Then I tightened it up evenly.
Yeah, that's what I tried doing but the 4 side holes didn't really come close to lining up. Oddly, I went to uhaul & bought their brand which was numbered near the same- 13591-50 and that one lined up fine. No idea why, looks like the same hitch with a different brand sticker...who knows, at least I got it worked out.

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
vchizzle said:
Yeah, that's what I tried doing but the 4 side holes didn't really come close to lining up. Oddly, I went to uhaul & bought their brand which was numbered near the same- 13591-50 and that one lined up fine. No idea why, looks like the same hitch with a different brand sticker...who knows, at least I got it worked out.
could be the guy in china that built it for curt was having a bad day you know very little rice to eat and it's built wrong...Or if it's made in the USA the guy just didn't get it right

·
Registered
99 Posts
I'm having the same problem with my '13 1LT. It does not have the weld nuts at the rear, so that only complicates matters but I could barely get the side rail holes to line up as it was too tight on the side rails. I guess I'll have to send it back to Amazon and try another one. :thumbdown:

·
Registered
17 Posts
I bought a 13591 Curt off Amazon as well. It was shipped directly from Curt to me.

I was able to get the sides on and pushed all the way towards the front the holes in the center wont line up. Obviously I only need them to line up as required. I would say its about 5/16"-3/8" off...

I work at a metal fab shop luckily. So Im going to take it in and have the holes slotted. We have hydraulic presses and such.

I see the more expensive Reese hitch has a slot in this location...

Otherwise the build quality and welds look good. Not as good as what our shop produces (we build overhead cranes so its MUST be good) but good enough for what it does.

·
Registered
5,151 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
I submitted a comment about the issue via their webpage. Tonight I got a phone call from them.

They are sending me a drawing with their dimensions and Im going to inspect what I have. I was told if its not in conformance they will spec a correct one and send a replacement.

I told them there are numerous other people with the same vehicle and hitch part from them with the same issues.

It can appear the side plates are off if you bolt up the center first. And of course if you follow directions you bolt the sides FIRST then fish wire the center bolts.

·
Registered
99 Posts
So you were the one who talked to Mike about an hour before I did this evening. He already sent me the weld specs and mine is out of spec. The two arms are not at the same angle it would appear. I'm sending him my notes back. This is getting kind of frustrating, this is my second one.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I did mention the forum but not by name. I talked to him approx 6:30 EST it was 7:30 CST where he was at.

My side uprights fit perfectly fine. With the 4 M12 bolts in and the bumper pushed ALL the way to the rear of the vehicle the holes on the center were both 5/16"-3/8" off

I still have not got the weld spec email.

He said he would like to know the distance between the end of the receiver tube and center of the holes. I find this dimensions irrelevant as the real dimension is between the centers.

I am a project engineer and work in a facility that manufactures large cranes. So we happen to have a hydraulic press that can punch slots in. I was going to try and get our guys to do it (not supposed to work on personal stuff) but I ask why should I? I bought a product that SHOULD work without modification. I will be damned if I cut up my brand new $25K vehicle to fit a $120 hitch.

I did ask about the U haul and he said they do in fact OEM some units to U Haul.

Real nice guy. I just want to get this problem solved and installed.

·
Registered
5,151 Posts
return it and get what I got.

2 inch receiver tow hitch. Reese Part # 51193 (ebay)----------------------------------------------------------$117.79
Hitch shipping--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------$0.00

here are pics of what it looks like..
this one has square tube... not round.

http://www.equinoxforum.net/index.php?topic=6021.0

·
Registered
17 Posts
I like the construction of the Curt better. Plus I would have to pay shipping and Im not about to do that.

They are more than happy to fix their problem. I think they just need help identifying what the problem is.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I got the spec drawing tonight from Mike.

I went through it and I found most key dimensions were out of spec to some degree.

By all rights bolted up and shoved into location the only "real" issue I was having was the center two holes not lining up.

By my measurement the center line of the top holes to the closest center line of the slot is 4". If it was 3-5/8" - 3-11/16" it would fit perfectly.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I talked to Mike tonight and he said they're going to grab another 2013 from the dealer on monday and check the hitches they have in stock. He said he should get an answer to me by Monday afternoon.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Any word back?

I was hoping to hear something by today.

My bike rack is in but I cant put it on until I get a hitch that fits!

I might have to return this to Amazon and go buy one that works. Had plans to go for a ride this weekend...

·
Registered
99 Posts
He said they got delayed with the pickup they were working on today. He got my address in case they have to ship me another one direct. This is starting to get really inconvenient though.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I asked for an update on 6/4 and I got this reply on 6/5

Not as of yet, we are still waiting to get a car to test fit. But we have given one to the local Chevrolet dealer to put on a customer’s car and are awaiting word back on how the install went. I will keep you in the loop and get word to you as soon as possible.
This weekend I was supposed to go on a nice bike ride on a trail. I cant now because I have no hitch to put my bike rack on.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I was updated again today.

We have had the local Chevrolet Dealer install two hitches in the last two days and we have done one. They have all went on but they have been a tight fit. We have come up with a plan to fix the problem but it will be a little while to get the hitches out.
I went ahead and had one of my fabricators today slot out the holes on the center section. He then filled the back portion with weld. Ground them flat and painted black.

I know this isnt the best fix and I know its going to rust where the work was done.

I have plans this weekend and I cant keep them without the hitch so I can put my bikes on the back. So I was left with the decision to alter the hitch or go buy a different brand. I took the cheaper option.

I advised Curt I will take the replacement asap and I will pack this one back up and have it ready for their carrier to pick up.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts