GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm looking to put a hitch on my 2012 Equinox LT1 I4. The primary purpose that it will be used for is to attach a cargo carrier for road trips. The only other time it would be used is if I move, I would want to attach a trailer to haul my fish tanks with me instead of using a moving company. I know that there is a 1500lb weight limit and the tanks without any water will be under that weight limit. I see a lot of people use the Curt brand Class 3 hitch and am just curious about the issues with the holes not matching up or is it worth it to just pick up a hidden hitch or the uhaul hitch. I need to put it on asap as we will be heading on a road trip in the next couple of weeks. Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
Reese or Curt are the best around and are priced pretty much as cheap as anything.

The GM one may even be made buy one of them as GM does not make it.

Check Summit Racing and if they are not the cheapest do a Beat a Price with any advertised price and you will get your cheapest price with the cheapest shipping.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hyperv6 said:
Reese or Curt are the best around and are priced pretty much as cheap as anything.

The GM one may even be made buy one of them as GM does not make it.

Check Summit Racing and if they are not the cheapest do a Beat a Price with any advertised price and you will get your cheapest price with the cheapest shipping.
Thanks! I'm debating on if I want to order the curt or just go and pick up a uhaul hitch tomorrow and put it on this weekend. The hitch at uhaul is $150 or the curt is $120. Decisions decisions...

·
Registered
142 Posts
FYI - The U-haul hitch is made by the same company that makes Reese/Hidden-Hitch/Drawtite.
I have a Reese tubular Class III hitch on my Outlook. Been working great for the last three years.

·
Registered
142 Posts
i bought the curt for my 2011 gmc terrain and the **** thing did not fit right...even called them and got an apology. had to break out the dremel to make work. i was not impressed and would not get curt next time.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Hyperv and scottb!

scottb said:
i bought the curt for my 2011 gmc terrain and the **** thing did not fit right...even called them and got an apology. had to break out the dremel to make work. i was not impressed and would not get curt next time.
That's what I'm afraid of because I don't have a Dremel. Leaning more and more towards the Uhaul hitch.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well I wows going to install it myself but with the tropical storm coming I don't want to take any chances. We would have a lot of animals to load up so I want to be able to throw our cargo carrier on the back to hold anything else we might need. Heading to Uhaul today to get one put on.

Anyone that uses the Curt light adapters that are plug n play, I'm curious how happy you are with them. Any and all info is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
142 Posts
I have both curt and Hopkins plug and play kits. Both work great, they are on different vehicles. What you should also get is a mounting bracket for the plug. If you buy a curt kit, buy a curt mounting bracket. If you buy a hopkins, get hopkins. There are some universal plug mounting brackets/plates that are not really universal.

J. Carm

·
Registered
185 Posts
I have a 2010 Nox I4. When I bought it last year I ordered a Curt from TheHitchStore. Arrived in 2 days. It was plug-and-play. 6 bolts. It took more time wiring the plug than the hitch. I took the 2" model. For the small difference in price I liked the look. I did not want the wire on the outside so I fished it back thru the grommet of the driver side lite and under the floor.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts