GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Gang,

Got me a receiver hitch for my 2012 Equinox and need to know what size bolts to get for the nuts that are welded to the body.

I bought the hitch on-line and the seller did not (or forgot) to include the mounting hardware. The seller then shipped out some bolts and washers, and when they arrived, I was surprised to find they were too small to fit the vehicle. Since I don't want to deal with this clown further, I'll just spend the $6 to get the dang bolts myself, from the local HW store. Just need to know what size to get.

Can anyone provide me with that information?

I searched on-line, but didn't see anything with specifics to the bolt size.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Depending on what hitch you bought and when they made your vehicle, all the holes may not have nuts in them.
For those, you use a washer plate with a square hole and a carriage bolt.

I bought a Hidden hitch from etrailer for my '13 Nox.
I needed to install the washer plates for the holes above the receiver portion and also the plates that bolt to the bottom of the frame.
Only place there were nuts was for the vertical plates to the side of the frame.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Boy, having the right hardware sure helps.

FYI- my 2012 Equinox had weld nuts in all 6 places. 6 bolts & 6 washers, some locktite and bam! Alllll good!

·
Registered
15 Posts
hi ,

GM # 11515775

SIZE : M12X1.75X30 yes < metric .....

:cheers:
If you are trying to install bolts after years of rust has built up on the threads of the bolt points on the frame. You can either buy a metric tap (M12x1.75) or buy an M12x1.75 bolt from your hardware store and cut 4 slots (length-wise) into the threads, making it look like a tap. I did this and it cleaned out my thread nicely. It turns out this might have been better than a real tap, since a normal T handle might not have been able to be used in every mounting hole. I was concerned with crossing threads because it was difficult to get my "tap" started in a couple of the mounting holes, but even when I started it with my air-ratchet, it didn't cross threads (of course I made sure the bolt was pretty well perpendicular to the hole). It also helps to have an air-ratchet to work the make-shift tap, in and out of the threaded hole a few times. then test your mounting bolt. It's also good to have a 19mm socket since that is usually the head size of an M12 bolt.
WEAR SAFETY GLASSES/GOGGLES when working under the car; dirt and rust will get into your eyes! Gloves will help save your knuckles, especially when working around the tail pipe.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts