GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

Hissing from speakers.

19K views 24 replies 12 participants last post by  RIT333 
#1 ·
I just took delivery of my 2011 Equinox and there is a constant hissing/static from the front speakers. It's like listening to an amplified high noise floor. It persists whether the vehicle is on or off, key is in or out, doors opened or closed. It appears to be ever present. The only time it is not noticeable is while driving. I find it extremely bothersome and cannot bear to sit in the vehicle for more than a few seconds while parked.

Do others' vehicles do this?

Discussion starter · #6 ·
I decided to be more patient and waited to see if it would go away while the vehicle is at rest. I timed it and it turned off with an audible cut off noise at 2:05 after closing the door. It returned again with any action which caused the console and DIC to light up (key in, opening door, etc). I will be taking it back to the dealer Monday.

It is unfortunate that this vehicle is already leaving bad taste in my mouth. In addition to the above problem, it arrived from the factory with a 2" gouge in the door jam paint, scratches all over the inside driver's door panel, and the power controls (both key fob and console) don't work for the front passenger side door. One day of ownership and the dealer already has a myriad of problems to address.

Discussion starter · #11 ·
Chevrolet Customer Svc said:
James1234,
Please keep me updated with your progress at the dealer. Thank you!
Christina
Chevrolet Customer Service
After initially denying that there was any noise at all, the dealer is now telling me it's normal and all their Equinox's do it. Looks like this is going to turn into a long, drawn out affair between me, the dealership, and possibly Chevrolet. I would estimate the hiss at about 30-35 dB, which is neither normal nor acceptable for any piece of audio equipment on the planet. I guess the next step is for me to get a meter and measure it. Unfortunately a meter which can measure that low will cost at least a few hundred dollars.

Discussion starter · #14 ·
Chevrolet Customer Svc said:
James1234,
I would like to assist you in getting this situation resolved for you. I will be sending you a direct messaged to get more information.
Christina
Chevrolet Customer Service
I have already opened a case with Chevrolet customer service.

Discussion starter · #15 ·
I was able to check additional vehicles. The problem was not evident on a base model (no Pioneer, no navigation). The noise was clearly audible on another vehicle with a similar configuration to mine (Pioneer and navigation). I was not able to check a vehicle with Pioneer audio and no navigation.

Discussion starter · #20 ·
gearhead said:
Which engine do you have, James1234?
May be the ANC (Auto Noise Cancellation) or whatever it is they use the subwoofer for on the 4-cylinders isn't grounded properly or something?
At any rate, should be an easy fix.
35dB is a high ambient noise and would get on my nerves too!
Please keep us posted, first time this issue has been posted that I remember.
4 cylinder. It is not the ANC. ANC is only from the sub and would only be active while the car is running.

What I'm hearing is the noise floor of some audio component which was either poorly designed or built from very poor components. You would hear the same thing if you were to crank the volume way up on any stereo with no input signal. You'll hear a static like hissing which is the electronic noise of the device's innards. The problem here is that the noise is independent of radio controlled volume and persists even when all user controllable vehicle features are turned off.

30-35dB is not a scientific measurement. Just my estimation that it is about the same level as a soft whisper. I found what looks to be a half way decent meter for about $120, so maybe I'll buy it next month if Chevrolet has made no progress on the issue by then.

Discussion starter · #23 ·
GM district representative claims this is "normal," refused to acknowledge a problem, refused to fix the problem, and forcibly closed the case.

Now I have to buy a service manual, buy a meter, start tearing stuff apart for isolation and measurements, and so on. Then I have to either get a lawyer to go after GM or go through all the lemon law hassle with the dealership to get my money back on the vehicle. This serves me right. I knew better than to buy some s***pile American car.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.